Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
Drakyrias

Default Marvel-DC World Building Help

I've recently embarked on running a 'street' level Supers game set in a crossover world drawing on elements of both DC and Marvel Universes.

Details already set in the game: The game is currently set in Nov 1996

Charles Xavier, Magneto, General William Striker, Amanda Waller, Bruce Wayne/Batman, Victor Zsasz (a version combining Arkham city and Gotham tv series), and Carmine Falcone all exist.

Nathaniel Essex/Sinister and the Court of Owls have been introduced in peripheral ways.

Mutants are not known about and widely the subject of tabloid reporting.

Stark Industries, Wayne Enterprises, Roxxon Energy, Trask Industries all exist as corporate entities.

The Game takes place in Gotham City.

I have stated that the son of Krypton and the speed force will not be present. These are primarily because of the god save issues that the Flash and Superman tend to present, and my personal dislike of Superman as a character. The Speed Force as well is an incredibly unbalancing force in a game setting in my opinion.

The only core cannon group from either universe I see as existing without any real tampering is the X men since they exist a a mutants training and protection group that primarily looks at the rest of even their own universe and tells it to shove off as often as not.

Batman is still in year one.

Nobody asked but my initial ideas for Captain America is that the public record is that he was a PR campaign and the victories credited to him and the Howling commandos are largely believed to be a propaganda campaign.

The game is still set in a heroes are unknown level of power.

I'm looking for help and inspiration with any and all cannon characters and team or group affiliations from either universe. (i. e. Dr. Fate and Dr. Strange etc) along with stat help. 3rd edition rules preferred but I'll backwards compatible if I like something.

Thanks!
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
rkbrown419

Default Re: Marvel-DC World Building Help

You could add Superman at power levels closer to what he had when first introduced. If memory of various stories about the character serves he would have DR strong enough to resist small arms fire not anti tank weapons, ST strong enough to pick up a car and could vertically jump to the top of a skyscraper or leap between them but not fly. Many of the other powers, heat/x-ray vision, super speed came along later. The Flash might also exist similarly down powered. i.e. fast but no going through walls or time traveling. Are you including the lanterns or leaving them out.

I've actually tossed around a similar idea but characters were real when the comics were written and the comics were dramatization of actual characters. secret ID's were made up and backstories were what the character claimed but might not be true.
Superman and Batman existed in the 1930's although the bat mantle may have been passed on with Robin/Nightwing/Batgirl being apprentices getting on the job training. Superboy might have been a title given someone young trying to pick up the Superman mantle (may or may not have been a descendant). He might have been an early mutant instead of an alien. The Phantom has been running around the Indian Ocean for centuries and might actually be immortal. Captain America and Wonder Women fought during WW2. Origins of both might have been propaganda his to prove superior science over Nazi Ubermen and hers to suggest the Greek pantheon was on the allies side. Justice League was around in the 40's, Avengers Fantastic Four and X men were around in the late 60's along with Spiderman. Some teams have continued with changes in membership and often heroic titles have been passed on with some changes. Spider Girl (may or may not be related to Spiderman active in 90's) for example.
I was thinking alien activity was usually metaphor for actual political action in the real world. How were you planning to handle them?
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #3
whswhs

The original Superman was faster than a locomotive and more powerful than a speeding bullet.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown419 View Post
You could add Superman at power levels closer to what he had when first introduced. If memory of various stories about the character serves he would have DR strong enough to resist small arms fire not anti tank weapons, ST strong enough to pick up a car and could vertically jump to the top of a skyscraper or leap between them but not fly. Many of the other powers, heat/x-ray vision, super speed came along later.
X-ray vision was seen as early as the second Superman carton from the Fliescher brothers.....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033888/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

..... and it might have been earlier in the comics. So it's pretty early. It definitely predates flying. That may have come along about a year later (in the cartoon series at least).
Old 09-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #5
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakyrias View Post
The game is still set in a heroes are unknown level of power.
Could you clarify here? I'm not sure what if any relevance whether superhumans are publicly known about or not has to their power levels. Whether they make a habit of using their powers in conspicuous displays in front of witnesses or not, sure, but not how powerful they actually are.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
Drakyrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Could you clarify here? I'm not sure what if any relevance whether superhumans are publicly known about or not has to their power levels. Whether they make a habit of using their powers in conspicuous displays in front of witnesses or not, sure, but not how powerful they actually are.
Think Iron Man 1 or pre Tim Burtan's Batman. Superhumans are not known about and are covered up.

I forgot to mention SHIELD is a covert but recognized intelligence firm.

The game opened up with the tabloids featuring a story about a "Werewolf fighting a Green Giant" in Canada.

Batman's own activities in the city are being concealed because the police don't want to admit they have a masked vigilante terrorizing criminals and making them look like fools.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #7
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakyrias View Post
Think Iron Man 1 or pre Tim Burtan's Batman. Superhumans are not known about and are covered up.

I forgot to mention SHIELD is a covert but recognized intelligence firm.

The game opened up with the tabloids featuring a story about a "Werewolf fighting a Green Giant" in Canada.

Batman's own activities in the city are being concealed because the police don't want to admit they have a masked vigilante terrorizing criminals and making them look like fools.

Hope that helps.
With the Hulk evidently existing based on that tabloid story, not really... I am left with no idea as to power level, just that people with high ones haven't really gone public. If you hadn't said you weren't using Superman, it would be entirely possible that he was going around pre-costume saving people in between blue collar jobs ala the beginning of Man of Steel, allowing for characters that can lift entire oil rigs.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
Phantasm

So have Dr. Richards and his crew gone on their ill-fated flight yet? They may not go public with their powers, though it'd be hard to keep Ben Grimm out of the spotlight.

If we assume that the Avengers and Justice League haven't formed yet, how are you treating some very public WWII appearances by the All-Star Squadron and Invaders? Most notably, the (android) Human Torch being a member of the NYPD pre-War and Namor's initial rampages?

Also, is the Xavier Institute for Gifted Youngsters a thing in this take on the setting? How large is their enrollment: five students or several dozen?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #9
Drakyrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
With the Hulk evidently existing based on that tabloid story, not really... I am left with no idea as to power level, just that people with high ones haven't really gone public. If you hadn't said you weren't using Superman, it would be entirely possible that he was going around pre-costume saving people in between blue collar jobs ala the beginning of Man of Steel, allowing for characters that can lift entire oil rigs.
Part of the reason I'm not using Superman is a general dislike of the entire character, not just his power level.

As far as power level, Magneto and Charles Xavier are both existent entities. My players themselves are under 200pts but the world itself does not need to obey such rules. In trying to build even a year 1 batman I exceeded well over 600. The tabloid article of 'werewolf vs green giant' is posted right next to the ones about elvis sightings and alien abductions, so no body actually takes them seriously in the general public (good reference: MiB 1 movie: Aliens stole my husbands skin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
So have Dr. Richards and his crew gone on their ill-fated flight yet? They may not go public with their powers, though it'd be hard to keep Ben Grimm out of the spotlight.

If we assume that the Avengers and Justice League haven't formed yet, how are you treating some very public WWII appearances by the All-Star Squadron and Invaders? Most notably, the (android) Human Torch being a member of the NYPD pre-War and Namor's initial rampages?

Also, is the Xavier Institute for Gifted Youngsters a thing in this take on the setting? How large is their enrollment: five students or several dozen?
As far as the setting itself though its very much closer to the real world mid-90s pre introduction of supers.

Xavier's school has the 5 core students and has begun recruiting the second class. No Avengers or J.L. Which since its a combination universe we can assume only one of them would form.

I like Aquaman so also not sure how Namor/Aquaman should work out since they are almost identically the same character.

I'm probably not going to include the All Star Squadron (to be honest hadn't heard of them till you mentioned them and upon reading up on them I'm trying to downplay older heroes/teams).
Old 09-20-2017, 04:43 AM   #10
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
X-ray vision was seen as early as the second Superman carton from the Fliescher brothers.....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033888/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

..... and it might have been earlier in the comics. So it's pretty early. It definitely predates flying. That may have come along about a year later (in the cartoon series at least).
His earliest use of x-ray vision that I find was in Superman #5, Vol.1, from May 1940, in Luthor's Incense Menace. That story is notable for a couple other firsts: the mention of his costume being indestructible; the ability to change his facial appearance.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3rd edition, supers, world building