Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #121
David Johnston2

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#36): Digital Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If it doesn't then what is the point? It says that you are a spirit and conscious; you get to move around to where you want to reform (which means you get to see what is around you). An unconscious backup doesn't do that.
No it doesn't. It specifically says you are unconscious and will "coalesce" at a place of the GMs choosing. Such as for example in the factory set up to provide you with replacement Ultrons.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:34 PM   #122
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
No it doesn't. It specifically says you are unconscious and will "coalesce" at a place of the GMs choosing. Such as for example in the factory set up to provide you with replacement Ultrons.
Yes, I was wrong.

That doesn't actually apply here though, because it doesn't have anything to do with rebooting a specific instance from storage.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:18 PM   #123
David Johnston2

Quote:
Yes, I was wrong.

That doesn't actually apply here though, because it doesn't have anything to do with rebooting a specific instance from storage.
I have no idea what that would accomplish apart from erasing a chunk of the Digital Mind's memory.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:10 AM   #124
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I have no idea what that would accomplish apart from erasing a chunk of the Digital Mind's memory.
  • Suspended Animation
  • Reconstructing a destroyed shell as long as storage is intact.
  • Prerequisite for Extra Life, Duplication and Possession making any sense at all.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:39 AM   #125
Anthony

Quote:
  • Suspended Animation
  • Reconstructing a destroyed shell as long as storage is intact.
  • Prerequisite for Extra Life, Duplication and Possession making any sense at all.
  • Absent an advantage on your body that permits doing so, this means your body dies, and if you don't have extra life/unkillable, the existence of a copy is irrelevant.
  • Absent an advantage on your body that permits doing so, this means your body dies, and if you don't have an extra life/unkillable, the existence of a copy is irrelevant.
  • So it's a glorified unusual background.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:11 AM   #126
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yes, I am really grateful for the move away from individual priced by fiat abilities towards building blocks.
Unfortunately we have a few left from the old days.
Quite a few. I actually started doing this series of threads because I wanted to cover Disadvantages. I think I wanted to do Disadvantages because, as someone who played GURPS years before he tried D&D and also played much more GURPS than D&D (in both cases, 3e XD), the "Berserk" Disadvantage seemed very, very out of place. I won't go into more detail because we so do not need another tangent in this thread.

Someday, though...

Anyway, not quoting the rest because yeah, I think we finally got things hammered out. Scared to weigh in on the other current ongoing discussion *waves at other people in this thread* because I think they are finally getting to the points I either would have made or already attempted to make earlier, before getting sidetracked to... whatever that just was. >.> Even if not, I kind of need to work on the next BAotW thread. ^^'
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #127
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
  • Absent an advantage on your body that permits doing so, this means your body dies, and if you don't have extra life/unkillable, the existence of a copy is irrelevant.
  • Absent an advantage on your body that permits doing so, this means your body dies, and if you don't have an extra life/unkillable, the existence of a copy is irrelevant.
  • So it's a glorified unusual background.
Absent those advantages, its like needing ressurection or needing a full body healing.

The Bioroids from Westworld had EXACTLY that; as long as their brains hadn't suffered too much damage (to the point of completely damaging their data), their bodies could be revived and their memories restored.

You guys are just thinking in Unkillable for machines in a fixed way; but you gotta think scenario-wise. This is a trait that allows ressurection for machines. Unless you say that every human being must buy a very small kind of Unkillable because of the possibility of being ressurected by Magic, gods or superscience, I dont see why you would ask this of a machine.

In West world, the Bioroids must be "rebooted" in their same body. No transplant. So, the technicians must fully restore their bodies to working condition - its ressurection!

What's the difference to a human? Well, if a human die, the body can be fully restored, but short of Magic or superscience, the memories are gone. Thats probably gona be a problem for cryogenics for example (except for superscience)
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #128
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
Absent those advantages, its like needing ressurection or needing a full body healing.
And no advantages are required to be resurrectable in general.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #129
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
And no advantages are required to be resurrectable in general.
I think there's a difference between supernatural resurrection and buying an off-the-shelf frame.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #130
Anthony

Quote:
I think there's a difference between supernatural resurrection and buying an off-the-shelf frame.
There is. Nothing about the advantage makes that distinction, and in any case it's setting-dependent.

"Can be resurrected", in a setting that doesn't have Resurrection, is Unkillable (either 2 or 3, depending on whether the original body is required) with limitations.

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, digital mind, week, [basic]