Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #21
Refplace

Default Re: [DF] Beyond the Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't think that DF rules for this kind of thing and realistic rules for establishing or managing settlements are actually likely to be very similar.
There is a difference between Dungeon Fantasy, Fantasy and Realistic.
I would start with Realistic and add Fantasy to it in the form of so and so spells or powers can have this effect. Similar to Thaumatology Urban magics.
Think City Management from Pyramid given the full book treatment and covering a country or state.

However I think DF is geared towards something far simpler and would better be done as an article or How to use this in a DF campaign section of a more complicated book.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #22
Carnifex

Running a court intrigue game with Dungeon Fantasy probably would not end well.
Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #23
Anders

Horror. I plan on adapting Ravenloft for DFRPG. Obviously GURPS cannot do this, but maybe a Pyramid issue about Horror and DF...? just putting that out there.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:53 AM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
There is a difference between Dungeon Fantasy, Fantasy and Realistic.
I would start with Realistic and add Fantasy to it in the form of so and so spells or powers can have this effect. Similar to Thaumatology Urban magics.
Think City Management from Pyramid given the full book treatment and covering a country or state.

However I think DF is geared towards something far simpler and would better be done as an article or How to use this in a DF campaign section of a more complicated book.
In a DF game you mainly want to know how many hirelings it gives you, how much of a truly ridiculous amount of treasure it can convert into currency, goods and services, what adventuring gear it produces and how often it is attacked by wandering monsters.

A general GURPS treatment on the subject is going to be primarily concerned with more practical topics like: how people actually establish new settlements, land law and politics, settler happiness, criminal justice, food production, daily life and economics, and conventional military logistics. All of these things should probably be either totally ignored or handwaved for DF.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 09-18-2016 at 09:57 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #25
ajardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Horror. I plan on adapting Ravenloft for DFRPG. Obviously GURPS cannot do this, but maybe a Pyramid issue about Horror and DF...? just putting that out there.
Well, GURPS Horror is the book you combine with Fantasy to get Ravenloft, you can safely ignore DF for the most part.

Stress, Derangement and Corruption are the key mechanics.
ajardoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:00 PM   #26
Rasputin

Quote:
A general GURPS treatment on the subject is going to be primarily concerned with more practical topics like: how people actually establish new settlements, land law and politics, settler happiness, criminal justice, food production, daily life and economics, and conventional military logistics. All of these things should probably be either totally ignored or handwaved for DF.
A couple of those would be in a DF treatment, namely criminal justice and military logistics. The Town Watch and the Militia are common tropes in fantasy gaming. They'd be abstracted, of course, but you'd want their basic stats for starting a fight with them, quick rules for how often they show up when called, and quick punishments for transgressing them.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #27
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
A couple of those would be in a DF treatment, namely criminal justice and military logistics. The Town Watch and the Militia are common tropes in fantasy gaming. They'd be abstracted, of course, but you'd want their basic stats for starting a fight with them, quick rules for how often they show up when called, and quick punishments for transgressing them.
Dungeon Fantasy doesn't care how juries are selected, or how many nails a militia needs and how they get them. These are boring details. That Nd guards respond to a disturbance and that your followers have mail armor automatically because you have the right blacksmith upgrades might be in the same sphere but arbitrary fiat-based solutions aren't appropriate for general GURPS books.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #28
Rasputin

Quote:
Dungeon Fantasy doesn't care how juries are selected, or how many nails a militia needs and how they get them. These are boring details.
I never said it was. Nor did I imply as such.
Quote:
That Nd guards respond to a disturbance and that your followers have mail armor automatically because you have the right blacksmith upgrades might be in the same sphere but arbitrary fiat-based solutions aren't appropriate for general GURPS books.
The Nd guards, however, is exactly about what I was talking. This isn't an arbitrary amount; it could vary based on CR and settlement size, and has to be enough to challenge the PCs.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #29
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
The biggest gap I see remaining is city adventures. DF currently abstracts Town as The Place Where You Buy And Sell Stuff And Get Healed, which is fine for some games. But I can definitely see room for City Adventures book. And maybe also some expanded Town rules for people who don't plan to actually adventure there, but who enjoy a more detailed home base.
Hmm...I think I have something for Pyramid on this...

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:19 PM   #30
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
I never said it was. Nor did I imply as such.
When I wrote "criminal justice" and "military logistics", I meant the legal system and beans, bullets and bandages.
Quote:
The Nd guards, however, is exactly about what I was talking. This isn't an arbitrary amount; it could vary based on CR and settlement size, and has to be enough to challenge the PCs.
"Challenge" shouldn't have anything to do with it in the more serious treatment. When say Jamestown was founded, it wasn't garrisoned on the basis of what might challenge Captain Frobisher in a fight.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy