Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #21
Anthony

Default Re: Destructive abrasion; what damage type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't see any reason to think that corrosion is supposed to reduce the DR of anything other than the targeted location or sublocation.
So, if I target the 'torso', I erode DR over an area that's something like 3' across (but miraculously, I fail to hit anything that isn't on the torso), whereas if I target the 'vitals' I suddenly only do damage to an area a few inches across?

As long as corrosive damage (a) can target the torso, and (b) has no attack penalty for follow-up attacks, it has to be quite large area, and that means if it gets through armor at all, it kills you.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
So, if I target the 'torso', I erode DR over an area that's something like 3' across (but miraculously, I fail to hit anything that isn't on the torso), whereas if I target the 'vitals' I suddenly only do damage to an area a few inches across?
The front of the Chest isn't 3' on an ordinary person. Corrosive damage can't target vitals. Variable damage rolls already account for variability in armor thickness and coverage, so a reduction in DR can be viewed as just increasing the likelihood of attacks hitting weaker areas.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #23
vierasmarius

This does suggest an interesting variant of Corrosive damage, "Tight-Beam Corrosion" or something. It still degrades armor, but only over a very small area - to take advantage of the weak spot you have to target it specifically, at a penalty for the small size. However, because the corrosion attack is much narrower than normal, it can target Vitals, Eyes, armor gaps, etc. It's basically a hybrid between Piercing and Corrosion, the same way Tight-Beam Burning can be viewed as a mix between Piercing and Burning.

Anyways, for the OP's question I'd treat it as Cutting, enhanced to degrade armor like corrosion (I'd call that +20% or so). Probably has a sizable Armor Multiplier too, for the large surface area it's contacting.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 09-23-2013 at 06:05 PM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #24
Anthony

Quote:
The front of the Chest isn't 3' on an ordinary person.
From the base of the throat to the hips is pretty close; you might drop it down to 2' or so, but it's got to be a quite large area.
Quote:
Variable damage rolls already account for variability in armor thickness and coverage, so a reduction in DR can be viewed as just increasing the likelihood of attacks hitting weaker areas.
Yes, but -3 DR over 1 square foot and -1 DR over 3 square feet doesn't really make much difference in survivability, it's just a higher degree of horrific damage over a smaller area.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #25
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
From the base of the throat to the hips is pretty close; you might drop it down to 2' or so, but it's got to be a quite large area.
That's the entire torso longwise, not merely the chest.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #26
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That's the entire torso longwise, not merely the chest.
Look at the diagram of hit locations in Basic. The entire torso is a single location.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #27
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
That's why I specified sublocations the Chest stops at the waist.

I'm a little confused as to what you are arguing here. If someone steps in an acid puddle that does one point of damage are they blinded because it also hits the eyes somehow?
Old 09-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #28
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Look at the diagram of hit locations in Basic. The entire torso is a single location.
I specified sublocations for a reason.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #29
Anthony

Quote:
I'm a little confused as to what you are arguing here. If someone steps in an acid puddle d that does one point of damage are they blinded because it also hits the eyes somehow?
Basically, 1 point of penetration works out to about 3/4" depth in flesh, with the skin counting as an extra half inch or so. If we want to get -1 DR over a location, that implies either -1 DR everywhere (about 1/4" removed across the entire area, which is to say flaying), or -X DR over 1/X of the area (1.75" removed, which will probably expose the lungs or something).
Quote:
I specified sublocations for a reason.
Corrosive damage is in Basic. Therefore, it must be capable of working with the rules in Basic.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #30
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Basically, 1 point of penetration works out to about 3/4" depth in flesh, with the skin counting as an extra half inch or so. If we want to get -1 DR over a location, that implies either -1 DR everywhere (about 1/4" removed across the entire area, which is to say flaying), or -X DR over 1/X of the area (1.75" removed, which will probably expose the lungs or something).
So what happens when you step in a puddle that does 1 point of Corrosion?
Quote:
Corrosive damage is in Basic. Therefore, it must be capable of working with the rules in Basic.
That Basic Set guy has giant gonads from the waist through his hips, I'm not sure we really ought to consider him human.