Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 05-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
Pseudonym

Default Vow (use only weapon of choice)- precludes unarmed?

The swashbuckler has this vow as an option.
They also have brawling|boxing and wrestling as mandatory skills.
I intuit that this means that even with the vow, they may use unarmed fighting skills.

Also, small tangent, would this allow a shield/cloak only usable for blocking?
Old 05-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Vow (use only weapon of choice)- precludes unarmed?

That's how I run it. Vow (Only use Preferred Weapon) just means they won't use another weapon, unarmed is unarmed, which in my game the Vow precludes using brass knuckles and coshes, but punching someone while wearing a gauntlet would be okay (depending on their martial style, though clearly if they are wearing armor, their style is cool with it).

I mean... if their style is Rapier and Main-Gauche, and they have Weapon Master [25] Rapier and Main-Gauche and two Weapon Bonds, clearly the vow covers both weapons... even if they don't have Weapon Master [25] at the outset, if fighting with both weapons is their style, I'm okay with it, but they state the intention of the Vow up front (and I usually require two Weapon Bonds). So if they start with just a Rapier, but over time pick up a Main-Gauche or Shield or Cloak, they need to spend some time 'soul-searching', doing training montages, etc and then shift the Vow to cover the second weapon (and I expect an Upgrade to Weapon Master [25] and a second Weapon Bond at some point soon).

In other words, it's a -5 point Disad, I don't go crazy on the poor PC. But his Rapier breaks and he picks up a Broadsword from a fallen foe and starts going to town... we'll have words.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #3
Pseudonym

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...15#post2128015
I guess I asked this question a hundred years ago and forgot I got an answer.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #4
Black Leviathan

I'd add that the vow implies that your character would rather not fight unarmed and might go to great lengths to get their chosen weapon. Weather they are defending the honor of their master or just promoting their fighting technique publicly, they don't want to be brawling in the street if there's any way they could be fighting saber & main gauche. I'd go so far as to say that they'd rather not use a ranged attack if there's any path they can take to engage the target with that sweet sweet rapier & main gauche. But ultimately it's a weapon of choice, not a suicide pact. If there's no other way to protect yourself or win the day, you will pick up an enemy crossbow and prong the scout fleeing on horseback. You'll toss it away right afterwards with a sneer of disgust, but you'll use it.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I'd add that the vow implies that your character would rather not fight unarmed and might go to great lengths to get their chosen weapon.
You should read the other thread that Pseudonym linked to just above your post, that isn't the intent of the -5 point Disad at all...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
Mr_Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
If there's no other way to protect yourself or win the day, you will pick up an enemy crossbow and prong the scout fleeing on horseback. You'll toss it away right afterwards with a sneer of disgust, but you'll use it.
Like Obi Wan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0BciHfsU7k
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
Black Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
You should read the other thread that Pseudonym linked to just above your post, that isn't the intent of the -5 point Disad at all...
I didn't post anything about the intent of the Disadvantage and the link doesn't do anything to address the implication of the Vow.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swashbuckler, vow