Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #21
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [Ultra-Tech] Multi-Mode Laser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
And then we mount it on the lizards?
Not sharks?
Old 08-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #22
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
What definition of 'work' are we using here? It's not like free electron lasers don't already work. Work as weapons?
Not weapons (at least, that isn't the targeted application). It would be a compact, rugged, potentially efficient source of coherent light in the millimeter, terahertz, and long-wave IR region of the spectrum; with applications for long range chemical sensing, explosives detection, biohazard detection, orbital environmental surveillance, and imaging radar. That's what the proposal is for. "Work", in terms of this proposal, is demonstrating that the device can be built and emit light in the predicted spectral range. The whole scheme is fairly speculative, and there's a fair chance that we won't get it to do anything. Note that this is not actually a free electron laser, just conceptually similar to one in some ways (and I don't want to say much more than that without having the folks dealing with legal and IP issues giving the go-ahead, just in case there are millions in patent licencing fees involved).

Of course, if it does turn out to have a high specific power and scaling down to shorter wavelengths isn't an issue, there may be weapons applications in the future.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #23
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
And then we mount it on the lizards?
Bow down before my army of lizard minions! (hey! Why are you looking at my leg like you want to eat it? Aaaargh! No! Get off, all of you get off! Bad lizards! Aargh!)

Hmmm, maybe untrainable, low-intelligence, hunger-driven reptiles are not the best choice of minions. Time to start working on robots.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:15 AM   #24
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
Bow down before my army of lizard minions! (hey! Why are you looking at my leg like you want to eat it? Aaaargh! No! Get off, all of you get off! Bad lizards! Aargh!)

Hmmm, maybe untrainable, low-intelligence, hunger-driven reptiles are not the best choice of minions. Time to start working on robots.

Luke

Robot Lizards? Hmmmmm?

Ok, sorry to threadcrap in my hero worship with Luke. But please cup up the good work man, and I hope your project works!

Tags
combination gadgets, laser, sci-fi, science, ultra-tech, weapon