Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #31
Refplace

Default Re: Dungeon Saints Designer Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Yes, I know that, but Create Light is in no way worth 20 points/level, and I refuse to pay that much just to create a flashlight effect.
Well actually its more of a floodlight IIRC, been awhile since I looked at but I think it came out to be a LOT of light. But visible light with cosmic like Bruno says is probably the way I would go. Cosmic is used for essential elements so there is precedent.
But for lighting up an area without blinding people at the center I like persistent and ranged. Or use Control to create a bunch of Mirrors, that would work too.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #32
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Well actually its more of a floodlight IIRC, been awhile since I looked at but I think it came out to be a LOT of light. But visible light with cosmic like Bruno says is probably the way I would go. Cosmic is used for essential elements so there is precedent.
But for lighting up an area without blinding people at the center I like persistent and ranged. Or use Control to create a bunch of Mirrors, that would work too.
I wanted a flashlight-sized effect, though, which is why I refused to pay 20 points for it.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #33
lexington

Quote:
I wanted a flashlight-sized effect, though, which is why I refused to pay 20 points for it.
No matter what that's going to be maximally limited Create Light. Call it four points. Or you could build it as a Flashlight perk with maximally limited Control Light.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #34
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
No matter what that's going to be maximally limited Create Light. Call it four points. Or you could build it as a Flashlight perk with maximally limited Control Light.
Problem is that it needs Cosmic, No Die Roll Required, Reduced FP Cost 2, and Reduced Time 1, for a total +160% in modifiers. Sure, I could just say that 'Light up everything in x yards' is a -240% limitation (or whatever), but that's silly. There need to be some proper guidelines for how much of an area Create Light (or some other advantage, such as the Illumination perk) can light up.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #35
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy
Problem is that it needs Cosmic, No Die Roll Required, Reduced FP Cost 2, and Reduced Time 1, for a total +160% in modifiers. Sure, I could just say that 'Light up everything in x yards' is a -240% limitation (or whatever), but that's silly. There need to be some proper guidelines for how much of an area Create Light (or some other advantage, such as the Illumination perk) can light up.
Remember, visible light is 10/level.

For Create 1, Reduced Time may not be a good investment unless it's important to get the effect instantly. Some levels of Reliable are probably more cost-effective than the Cosmic.

This old thread might help as far as suggested guidelines are concerned. I'd say that for what you seem to want, a Perk is the right way to go.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #36
Bruno

Quote:
Yes, I know that, but Create Light is in no way worth 20 points/level, and I refuse to pay that much just to create a flashlight effect.
Level 1 create light isn't "a flashlight". Trust me on this. It's a HUGE amount of light. I'm splitting it up into 10 "microlevels" because of how much light it is (and how often people just want "a flashlight").
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #37
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Level 1 create light isn't "a flashlight". Trust me on this. It's a HUGE amount of light. I'm splitting it up into 10 "microlevels" because of how much light it is (and how often people just want "a flashlight").
I know. This is why I refused to pay 20 points for the effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Remember, visible light is 10/level.

For Create 1, Reduced Time may not be a good investment unless it's important to get the effect instantly. Some levels of Reliable are probably more cost-effective than the Cosmic.
It's important that the effect has no need for taking an action to maintain or activate, yes. It needs to be a 'if you have this advantage, then you've got light, but when it's disabled the light goes away' advantage. Create doesn't work like that by default, so you need to screw around with it significantly in order to make it work that way.

Quote:
This old thread might help as far as suggested guidelines are concerned. I'd say that for what you seem to want, a Perk is the right way to go.
Yes, which is why I used it, but it doesn't solve the issue that there is no RAW way to create any more light than a 2-yard radius circle or 10-yard long beam (which is all you can get via a Perk) except by randomly making up limitations/etc on Create, as was done for one of the Divine Servitors in DF5.

Finally: Seriously, I switched over to using a Perk for this over a dozen posts ago. If you want to continue trying to tell me why Create Light doesn't work for what I want (which is something I myself said), then do so in another thread. We're cluttering up this one massively.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #38
DavidSev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Divine Pouch
Learned Prerequisite: Divine Favor 4.
Learned Prayer Cost: 3.

As a ready action, you can take a single object into your deity's domain for safeguard. You can store up to your basic lift in this manner.
Statistics: Payload 10 (Divine, -10%; Extra-dimensional, +50%) [14]
With this, what happens to your stuff when you switch to a different learned prayer?

As per my understanding of alternate abilities, when using something else you may as well not have the payload advantage at all. Payload is buying the space not access to an already existing space, so therefore all your stuff would go poof / get dumped on the floor?

I kinda hope I'm wrong, but if I am you're getting a 1/5 discount for very little inconvenience.
DavidSev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #39
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSev View Post
With this, what happens to your stuff when you switch to a different learned prayer?

As per my understanding of alternate abilities, when using something else you may as well not have the payload advantage at all. Payload is buying the space not access to an already existing space, so therefore all your stuff would go poof / get dumped on the floor?

I kinda hope I'm wrong, but if I am you're getting a 1/5 discount for very little inconvenience.
Your not wrong by my interpretation of it. However this prayer still has some utility in that it lets you carry stuff around as long as your not using it for anything else. I would say everything falls out though so you may only be minerly inconveineced if you have to switch.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
divine favor, dungeon saints