Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
Celti

Default Re: Dungeon Saints Designer Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Damn, you are right. I house rule that Penetrating vision always tries to penetrate as var as it can, so that's why variable is there. It does not change the cost as a learned prayer though. I'm going to edit the original post to reflect this though.
That makes Variable almost a requirement on Penetrating Vision — without it it's impossible to recognise people's faces, or read a book, as you'll look right through them!
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #12
Langy

Here are a few Prayers I created for a character of mine (a man blessed by a Sun God) a while ago. I altered them since then to make them more work closer to how I envisioned them, and to be closer to other Prayers out there. I also had Purifying Flame (a 'call fire from the heavens' miracle), but I like your Holy Fire one more.

Divine Light - 8 Points
Affliction (Reliable 4, +20%; Blindness +50%; Sense-Based, +150%; Jet, +0%; Reduced Duration, 1/6 duration, -15%; Divine, -10%) [30] and Create Light 1 (Cosmic, No Die Roll Required, +100%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 2, +40%; Reduced Time, +20%; Divine, -10%; Accessibility: Only for creating bright light in ten yards, -50%) [10]. Features: Affliction is Blockable, but blocking or dodging the affliction makes you unable to see anything in the direction of the light while you continue blocking it. If you block the power once, then you don't need to re-apply the block if the attack continues.

Your eyes blaze with a holy light, eliminating darkness penalties in a ten-yard semicircle directly in front of you.

With concentrated prayer and an attack maneuver, you can blind a foe whom you focus your eyes upon. Make an attack roll against Innate Attack: Gaze at +4 (an unmodified DX roll if you do not have Innate Attack skill). The target may block or dodge, but if they do so they can not look in your direction without being blinded; if they succesfully Block or Dodge, they automatically succeed at Blocking or Dodging on subsequent turns. If they are hit, they must roll against HT or be blinded for ten seconds multiplied by the amount by which they fail their HT roll.

As a learned prayer, this light lasts as long as you continue to actively will it - you may even do so silently while conversing with others or while fighting, but the light will end immediately if you are incapacitated or stop wishing it to continue or make use of any of your other Divine Favor powers. As a general miracle, this miracle lasts for as long as the light is required - for example, either to destroy a source of supernatural evil weak against sunlight (such as vampires) or to accomplish some task (such as navigate a dark cavern until you come across a lit torch).

Divine Light (Enhanced) - 18 Points
Affliction (Reliable 4, +20%; Blindness +50%; Sense-Based, +150%; Jet, +0%; Linked, +10%; Reduced Duration, 1/6 duration, -15%; Divine, -10%) [30], Altered Time Rate 1 (All-Out Attack with Affliction Only, -80%; Divine, -10%) [20], and Create Sunlight 1 (Cosmic, No Die Roll Required, +100%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 2, +40%; Reduced Time, +20%; Divine, -10%; Accessibility: Only for creating bright light in ten yards, -50%) [40]. Features: Affliction is Blockable, but blocking or dodging the affliction makes you unable to see anything in the direction of the light while you continue blocking it. If you block the power once, then you don't need to re-apply the block if the attack continues.

As Divine Light, except you can attempt to Blind as a free action at a further +4 (+8 total), and the light acts as true sunlight, with all of the effects of true sunlight on Vampires and other monsters.

Divine Strength - 10 Points
Statistics: Blessed 3 (Heroic Feats) [30] and Weapon Master (One Weapon; Divine, -10%; Only While Blessed (Heroic Feats) is Active, -10%) [16]

You call upon your deity and are filled with divine power, boosting your ST, DX, and HT by 1d points and providing you with Weapon Master for your deity's signature weapon for the next 3d seconds, after which your abilities return to normal. As either a specific or learned prayer, it can only be called once per session.

I had originally built Divine Strength off of Maximum Duration and modified base attributes (everything had Max Duration, 30 Seconds, -75%; Divine, -10%) - the build was ST, DX, HT +5 [40] plus WM (One Weapon) [4], for a total of 44 points or 9 points as a Learned Prayer. It's relatively similar to the Blessed build, except the Max Duration build gives you higher stats (on average), more time with each use, and could be reused every five minutes. Doesn't sound all that balanced, though - still, I dislike the random nature of Blessed. I'd prefer to pre-calc everything, and getting a 1 on that roll for boosting ST/etc sucks.

EDIT: Here's an alternative to Divine Light that I think works much better:

Divine Light - 8 Points
Innate Attack 1d (Burning; Cosmic, No Die Roll Required, +100%; Reliable 10, +50%; Sense-Based, +150%; Jet, +0%; Increased 1/2D Range x2, +5%; Increased Range x2, +10%; Blockable, -5%; Divine, -10%; Accessibility, Eyes Only, -50%) [18], Extra Attack 1 (Innate Attack Only, -60%) [10], and Create Light 1 (Cosmic, No Die Roll Required, +100%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 2, +40%; Reduced Time, +20%; Divine, -10%; Accessibility: Only for creating bright light in ten yards, -50%) [10]. Feature: Innate Attack always targets the eyes, and only the eyes - any more damage than that needed to blind is lost. Extra Attack only applies when this Innate Attack is used for both attacks.

Your eyes blaze with a holy light, eliminating darkness penalties in a ten-yard semicircle directly in front of you.

With concentrated prayer and an attack maneuver, you can blind any foe within 20 yards whom you focus your eyes upon. The target may shield or avert their eyes - treat this as a Dodge or Block. If they fail, their eyes take 1d tight-beam burning damage - remember, if damage exceeds 1/10 HP, the target is blinded. Any damage in excess of that needed to blind the subject is lost. This gaze attacks two eyes at a time, dealing equal damage to both.

As a learned prayer, this light lasts as long as you continue to actively will it - you may even do so silently while conversing with others or while fighting, but the light will end immediately if you are incapacitated or stop wishing it to continue or make use of any of your other Divine Favor powers. As a general miracle, this miracle lasts for as long as the light is required - for example, either to destroy a source of supernatural evil weak against sunlight (such as vampires) or to accomplish some task (such as navigate a dark cavern until you come across a lit torch).

Divine Light (Enhanced) - 18 Points
Innate Attack 1d (Burning; Cosmic, No Die Roll Required, +100%; Reliable 10, +50%; Sense-Based, +150%; Jet, +0%; Increased 1/2D Range x2, +5%; Increased Range x2, +10%; Blockable, -5%; Divine, -10%; Accessibility, Eyes Only Unless Vulnerable to Sunlight, -25%) [19], Extra Attack 1 (Innate Attack Only, -60%) [10], Altered Time Rate 1 (Innate Attack Only, -80%) [20], and Create Sunlight 1 (Cosmic, No Die Roll Required, +100%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 2, +40%; Reduced Time, +20%; Divine, -10%; Accessibility: Only for creating bright light in ten yards, -50%) [40]. Feature: Innate Attack always targets the eyes, and only the eyes - any more damage than that needed to blind is lost. Extra Attack only applies when this Innate Attack is used for both attacks.

As Divine Light, except you may attempt to Blind once per turn as a free action, light acts as true sunlight, with all of the effects of true sunlight on Vampires and other monsters, and if a creature is vulnerable to sunlight then the Innate Attack's damage is not capped and continues on directly into the creature's brain.

Divine Light (Enhanced) is an extremely powerful attack against creatures vulnerable to sunlight like Vampires - not only does the vampire get blinded, but he also suffers the x4 damage bonus for being hit in the brain and a further damage multiplier due to being vulnerable.

Last edited by Langy; 01-07-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #13
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

I like your new versions much better. However, I'm partial to the Illumination perk for generating light, at least for the basic level (if the light has to harm vampires and the like then you need Create Light with the Cosmic enhancement to make it into "essential light". That's how I would do it).

As for the other one, it's Righteous Fury and Guide My Hand rolled into one. I made a conscious decision to separate them.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:16 AM   #14
Refplace

OK since were adding some of our own.
These are from my Dwarves.
Specific new Prayers
Blessed Build: When building a new item you can pray ahead of time to get divine inspiration. This requires you to pray for one minute and think of the item your about to make.
Statistics: Visualization (Divine -10%, Only for craft skills -50%); Feature: Theology replaces IQ roll ; Neutral Reaction; [1]

Eyes of Pluto: You can see more clearly in the dark, ignoring up to -5 in darkness penalties. (Night Vision; Divine, -10%) (5/5=1) [1]

Eyes of Pluto (Enhanced): You can see clearly even in absolute darkness!
Statisitics: Dark Vision (Divine, -10%; Color Vision +20%) [28] Divine Favor 7; Reaction Good; Learned Prayer 6

Ancestral Warriors Favor: Call upon an ancient warrior of your clan to direct and empower your blows.
Statisitics: Weapon Master (All Muscle Powered Weapons) (Divine -10%) [41] Divine Favor 8; Reaction Good; Learned Prayer 9
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #15
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
OK since were adding some of our own.
These are from my Dwarves.
Specific new Prayers
Blessed Build: When building a new item you can pray ahead of time to get divine inspiration. This requires you to pray for one minute and think of the item your about to make.
Statistics: Visualization (Divine -10%, Only for craft skills -50%); Feature: Theology replaces IQ roll ; Neutral Reaction; [1]
Neat!
Quote:
Eyes of Pluto: You can see more clearly in the dark, ignoring up to -5 in darkness penalties. (Night Vision; Divine, -10%) (5/5=1) [1]
Already in the original article, as Eyes of Hell
Quote:
Eyes of Pluto (Enhanced): You can see clearly even in absolute darkness!
Statisitics: Dark Vision (Divine, -10%; Color Vision +20%) [28] Divine Favor 7; Reaction Good; Learned Prayer 6
Already in the original article, as Eyes of Hell (Enhanced)
Quote:
Ancestral Warriors Favor: Call upon an ancient warrior of your clan to direct and empower your blows.
Statisitics: Weapon Master (All Muscle Powered Weapons) (Divine -10%) [41] Divine Favor 8; Reaction Good; Learned Prayer 9
Already in the original article, as Guide My Hand
My stuff on e23
Old 01-07-2012, 05:42 AM   #16
Refplace

Quote:
Neat!

Already in the original article, as Eyes of Hell

Already in the original article, as Eyes of Hell (Enhanced)

Already in the original article, as Guide My Hand
Sorry had changed the name to fit the setting so had them listed as new prayers under the writeup.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:49 AM   #17
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Sorry had changed the name to fit the setting so had them listed as new prayers under the writeup.
I have nothing against changing the names to fit other gods or setting specific concerns. However, the right way to do so would be to state, under the description as I did with the evil versions of the prayers that had overtly "good" names.
My stuff on e23
Old 01-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #18
Refplace

Quote:
I have nothing against changing the names to fit other gods or setting specific concerns. However, the right way to do so would be to state, under the description as I did with the evil versions of the prayers that had overtly "good" names.
Yeah I think Ill go redo that.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #19
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

By the way, I'm planning on releasing this as a PDF, with appropriate disclaimers as per the SJG Online Policy, and under CC-BY-NC-SA. I need your authorization to include any Miracles you created yourselves.
My stuff on e23
Old 01-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #20
Langy

Quote:
I like your new versions much better. However, I'm partial to the Illumination perk for generating light, at least for the basic level (if the light has to harm vampires and the like then you need Create Light with the Cosmic enhancement to make it into "essential light". That's how I would do it).

As for the other one, it's Righteous Fury and Guide My Hand rolled into one. I made a conscious decision to separate them.
I used Create Light [5/level] for creating basic light, and Create Sunlight [20/level] for creating sunlight that harms vampires - Create Sunlight is much more expensive than just slapping a Cosmic on Create Light [5/level]. Then again, maybe Create Light should cost more than that *shrug*

GURPS really needs better guidelines for basic light-creation. The Create power is pretty much no help due to the way it's written.

As for Illumination, it only provides light out to something like 2 yards, which isn't much. If we could just stick Area Effect on that to increase it it'd be fine, though, but I'm not sure how RAW-legal that'd be.

As for Divine Strength/Guide My Hand+Righteous Fury, there are some small differences. Divine Strength, for example, only works on Saint's God's chosen weapon. I can understand why you might feel combining Weapon Master with Blessed might be a bit too much of a power boost, though, I suppose.

EDIT: Oh, and you have my permission to stick any Miracles I create into that PDF and releasing it.

Last edited by Langy; 01-07-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divine favor, dungeon saints