Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #21
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: [GURPS Powers: Divine Favor] Druid Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
Is there a creative commons thing where you don't require attribution and allow commercial use? That one is too restrictive for me. I'm not comfortable with that.
SJGames' online policy disallows commercial use of their copyrights and trademarks (I liked it above). As for attribution, you can obviously request to be given attribution in any form that you feel convenient. You retain your copyrights over your work (and can do whatever you want with it, including relicense it under any license of your choice), it's what others can do with it that is restricted to non-commercial use that requires attribution. Of course, since this will combine the work of multiple posters, the combined work won't be available under a different license unless all contributors agree. I can set up a version control system to check what belongs to each contributor, but I feel it's more hassle than it's worth.

Oh, and by posting it on the forums, you've already given SJG commercial rights to reuse it, it's in the forum's T&C.

Edit: Check the link at the bottom of the forum pages labeled forum rules for the full T&C of using the forums. Technically, any SJG author could take the material here and publish it in any SJG product. If you want to license your contributions under any other compatible license (and remember it has to comply with SJG's online policy) that is compatible with cc by-nc-sa, including the cc0 public domain license, feel free to do so. Without going into a license holy war, I feel that my choice is the one that aligns better with the online policy.
My stuff on e23

Last edited by Kuroshima; 03-10-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #22
ErhnamDJ

One thing I've wondered about is how resisted abilities should work in Divine Favor. Since these are gods afflicting people, there shouldn't be any way to resist. But that's not practical in the game system. What's the best way to handle that? Make them normal Afflictions? Afflictions with a large penalty to resist? Just don't have those sorts of abilities?

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #23
Bruno

Quote:
One thing I've wondered about is how resisted abilities should work in Divine Favor. Since these are gods afflicting people, there shouldn't be any way to resist.
This-does-not-follow, at least not automatically and universally.

Don't forget that these are not "gods afflicting people"; these are "holy people afflicting people". Yes, they're wielding The Power Of The Gods to do so, but I'm wielding The Power Of Physics when I hit someone with a rock; there's still a huge gulf between me hitting someone with a rock and a comet hitting them :) Same stuff going on, vastly different scale.

TL;DR: These aren't abilities for gods! Gods tend to start with WAY more points, and don't ninny around with petty Alternate Abilities :D

Quote:
But that's not practical in the game system. What's the best way to handle that? Make them normal Afflictions? Afflictions with a large penalty to resist? Just don't have those sorts of abilities?
Well, for starters, actual Unstoppable-Force-Gods don't have to really use the character creation rules or task resolution rules any more than any other form of GM fiat does. They just Bzzt and then you're a spider, wondering where you went wrong in life.

Short of that, though, Affliction 20 or 30 or 100 is a pretty good starting point. It's not like Athena needs a budget.

IIRC Horror gives good advice about this sort of issue when discussing the abilities of Elder Things what make you wibble - it's easily extended to other traits.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #24
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
One thing I've wondered about is how resisted abilities should work in Divine Favor. Since these are gods afflicting people, there shouldn't be any way to resist. But that's not practical in the game system. What's the best way to handle that? Make them normal Afflictions? Afflictions with a large penalty to resist? Just don't have those sorts of abilities?
Well, the mechanical underpinnings are basic power-building, so resistance works as usual for whatever power you built. If you think it appropriate you could load resistible abilities out to be really hard to resist with some mix of Reliable, extra affliction levels, Cosmic: No Rule of 16, or Cosmic: Irresistible Attack. I probably wouldn't because I don't really want irresistible godly power.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #25
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
This-does-not-follow, at least not automatically and universally.

Don't forget that these are not "gods afflicting people"; these are "holy people afflicting people".
That's not how I look at these abilities. If my character convinces Zeus to transform someone into a swan, then that person is a swan. It doesn't make conceptual sense to me for Zeus to fail to turn someone into a swan.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #26
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
That's not how I look at these abilities. If my character convinces Zeus to transform someone into a swan, then that person is a swan. It doesn't make conceptual sense to me for Zeus to fail to turn someone into a swan.
Doesn't make conceptual sense for Zeus to fail? If you'd picked an omnipotent monotheistic type I'd see what you're saying, but a Greek god, even the big guy, doesn't always succeed.

Being balked by mere human vitality/willpower, that might be uncharacteristic, but failing hardly seems out of character for him.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #27
PK

Quote:
One thing I've wondered about is how resisted abilities should work in Divine Favor.
A quick look at the various resisted abilities in Divine Favor should answer that. They're simply resisted by whatever the appropriate attribute is. In some cases, they may throw on Reliable 10 to make it a forgone conclusion.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #28
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
You're supposed to use the Cosmic Enhancement for that.

Generally, fantasy discerns between hyperpowerful monotheistic gods and polytheistic gods that are merely extremely powerful. GURPS intends for the former to have Cosmic, and not the later, although if you want to get more elaborate, GURPS Powers has optional rules for "tiered Cosmic".

Also, it's not obvious that the version of "druid" intended by the OP isn't some kind of pseudo-monotheistic "Nature as a Concept". In which case Cosmic may well be simulatively correct to use.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #29
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
You're supposed to use the Cosmic Enhancement for that.

Generally, fantasy discerns between hyperpowerful monotheistic gods and polytheistic gods that are merely extremely powerful. GURPS intends for the former to have Cosmic, and not the later, although if you want to get more elaborate, GURPS Powers has optional rules for "tiered Cosmic".

Also, it's not obvious that the version of "druid" intended by the OP isn't some kind of pseudo-monotheistic "Nature as a Concept". In which case Cosmic may well be simulatively correct to use.
There's not actually a Cosmic that makes resistance rolls fail automatically. That's specifically something cosmic can't do.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #30
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
There's not actually a Cosmic that makes resistance rolls fail automatically. That's specifically something cosmic can't do.
It's cosmic +infinity% (^_-) (or +∞% for the non-unicode challenged)
My stuff on e23

Last edited by Kuroshima; 03-12-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divine favor, powers