Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #21
Dammann

Default Re: Learned Prayers standing in for Clerical Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Assuming a base cost of 40 per level and a total modifier of -80%...
A lot of Learned Prayers are more enhanced than limited, and the text for Control in Powers (p90-91) explicitly says that damage cannot be stopped with control. For 4 times the basic cost, that might be disregarded, but finding -80% in limitations is nontrivial.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #22
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
I used the From Skills to Advantages article in Pyramid 44 to produce a Learned Prayer that duplicates the Great Healing Spell. I think that the point cost is a little low, to say the least. It is a heck of a deal compared to Lay on Hands (Enhanced). It doesn't cure disease, but my feeling is still that it should be more expensive. Note that although I applied Charm, I still built in Magery 3 in converting the Spell to an Advantage. I invite critique.

Great Healing-Style Prayer
Minimum Reaction: Good
Learned Prerequisite: Divine Favor 9
Learned Prayer Cost: 10

This Learned Prayer mimics the Great Healing Spell from Magic, page 91. It differs in that the Fatigue required is only 10. The ability can only be used on a subject once per day, but restores all missing HP.

Statistics: Great Healing Spell (as Advantage, per Pyramid 44:17; Charm [1] + Magery 3 (one spell Magery, -80%) [7] + Spell (VH) [8] = [16]) (Cosmic, no die roll required, +100%; Divine, -10%, Reduced Fatigue Cost 10, +200%) [47]
As far as I know you can't aid NDRR when creating this 'skill advantages' or at least that is what PK told me on a article I submitted with just such a build.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #23
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
17 points for a big flashlight seems vastly overpriced.
Only way I'd consider it worth it is if it gives you daylight - and count as such to monsters who are weak to it (like vampires). Then it'd be pretty nice;)

Last edited by Langy; 02-06-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #24
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Only way I'd consider it worth it is if it gives you daylight - and count as such to monsters who are weak to it (like vampires). Then it'd be pretty nice;)
Agreed, that would be worth the full price. I think we need a price for bright non-damaging magical light (superior to torchlight, and hands free) somewhere between Create Light [17] and Accessory [1]. I feel like 5 points is about right in a DF game, though I don't know how to justify that with any RAW traits.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #25
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Agreed, that would be worth the full price. I think we need a price for bright non-damaging magical light (superior to torchlight, and hands free) somewhere between Create Light [17] and Accessory [1]. I feel like 5 points is about right in a DF game, though I don't know how to justify that with any RAW traits.
You caught that the LP cost of that same 17-point power is only 4 points, right? 1/5 cost as an Alternate Ability.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #26
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
You caught that the LP cost of that same 17-point power is only 4 points, right? 1/5 cost as an Alternate Ability.
I'm well aware of that. For the sake of building and balancing powers, I ignore the fact that it's discounted by being an Alternative Advantage - that carries its own hefty limitations. In other words, if a fair base price for this ability is 5 points, then as an AA it's only worth 1.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #27
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
The build is based on the broad category of Create Light - it's indeed full spectrum, and high intensity, and should be treated as such by vulnerable monsters. It's not (IIRC) quite the bazillion lux of the sun, but it'll do the job :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #28
Refplace

Quote:
A lot of Learned Prayers are more enhanced than limited, and the text for Control in Powers (p90-91) explicitly says that damage cannot be stopped with control. For 4 times the basic cost, that might be disregarded, but finding -80% in limitations is nontrivial.
Yes, but that is a Kromm posted method for duplicating the Reverse Missile Spell.
As for the Create Light build, darn right its effective against Vampires and whomever bought a Weakness or such against Sunlight.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #29
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
I'm well aware of that. For the sake of building and balancing powers, I ignore the fact that it's discounted by being an Alternative Advantage - that carries its own hefty limitations. In other words, if a fair base price for this ability is 5 points, then as an AA it's only worth 1.
Fair enough - wasn't trying to be annoying.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #30
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
*IIRC, Dungeon Fantasy encourages GMs not to use bleeding rules. I don't use them, anyway. I am not sure why this is among the spells listed in DF1 for clerical spells, but for the sake of those GMs who do use bleeding, I listed it here.
The idea could be that GMs aren't supposed to have bleeding as an effect that can occur in combat, but are still expected to (without the text telling them this) have the occasional encountered NPC or potentially friendly monster who's suffering from a bleeding condition, according to GM fiat (or scenario writer fiat), where the Cleric's Stop Bleeding spell can come in handy.

Or it could be a world issue. Bleeding never happens to PCs, nor does it happen to NPCs in combat, but the world is filled with farm workers, miners and urban labourers who get work injuries, and when they get a bleed they can't deal with themselves, they go to the nearest temple to get it stopped.

Both sound rather far-fetched to me, though.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divine favor, dungeon fanasy, dungeon fantasy, spells as advantages