Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #31
muduri

Default Re: Passive Defense and 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Out of interest what was the issues with Knight vs. peasant?
Well OK, as long as I'm not the only one doing the re-animating, ha. I guess it wasn't really knight vs. peasant so much as two other scenarios: armored swordsman vs. leather-clad axeman, and knight vs. brittle rock troll.

Basically it comes down to an irrational nostalgia for PD so I won't work hard to justify it - I'm sure people have come up with other solutions for this. But I wanted a sort of bronze-age heroism, where metal items were rare but gave a significant edge - hence bringing back PD and (get ready) a Ready turn for axes and two Ready turns for polearms. And then costs for swords and metal armor were like +50%.

And rock trolls! I guess the 4 and 17 on the critical hit table, plus the Chinks in Armor rule, sort of take care of this, but if the players aren't totally up on hit location you have to admit there's a certain appeal to a creature with say PD10 (I know, I know), DR1, HP15, ha.
muduri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #32
Otaku

I thank everyone for the suggestions. As I expected, it tended to be a rather "silly" kind of thing, and the suggestions posted seem like they should cover things.

Well, not using Luck for it, since that would require Luck I could use multiple times in one turn of combat. @_@ The Cosmic Enhancement plus the right Perk probably could handle it.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #33
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by muduri View Post
But I wanted a sort of bronze-age heroism, where metal items were rare but gave a significant edge
Low Tech 4e already gives metal this edge, armor is much more resistant, and metal weapons are better than wooden/stone weapons.

Quote:
a Ready turn for axes and two Ready turns for polearms.
All you do using that is making sure no one uses an axe or polearm.

Quote:
And rock trolls! I guess the 4 and 17 on the critical hit table, plus the Chinks in Armor rule, sort of take care of this, but if the players aren't totally up on hit location you have to admit there's a certain appeal to a creature with say PD10 (I know, I know), DR1, HP15, ha.
Probably, but then the strategy to kill the brute is not through high damage, but through well placed attacks while stealthy.

Last edited by gilbertocarlos; 06-06-2014 at 06:49 PM.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #34
muduri

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Low Tech 4e already gives metal this edge, armor is much more resistant, and metal weapons are better than wooden/stone weapons.
All you do using that is making sure no one uses an axe or polearm.
Aha! This is where it gets interesting. Or just Ptolemaically epicyclical, as just a convoluted way to avoid normal 4e, ha. The characters are half commoners ($800 as starting wealth for TL2.5, ha), who end up stuck with axes or polearms (since metal weapons and armor are 50% more expensive than normal), and half nobles (wealthy, $4000 or more), who can afford metal armor, swords etc. But +1 damage for every-second-turn melee weapons (axes), and +2 for every-third-turn (polearms), so not quite so terrible for hoi polloi. There's further down the rabbit hole to go but that's why there are still axe-users in this 3.9e game.
muduri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #35
kirbwarrior

As for the Cosmic Dodge, remember that Dodges don't accrue penalties for multiple uses. Combined with Lucky Dodger, you can make a character who never actually dodges attacks but is just very much lucky.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:37 PM   #36
Tomsdad

Quote:
Well OK, as long as I'm not the only one doing the re-animating, ha. I guess it wasn't really knight vs. peasant so much as two other scenarios: armored swordsman vs. leather-clad axeman, and knight vs. brittle rock troll.

Basically it comes down to an irrational nostalgia for PD so I won't work hard to justify it - I'm sure people have come up with other solutions for this. But I wanted a sort of bronze-age heroism, where metal items were rare but gave a significant edge - hence bringing back PD and (get ready) a Ready turn for axes and two Ready turns for polearms. And then costs for swords and metal armor were like +50%.

Sorry I never played 3e so I'm still a bit lost on this?

If you want metal to be rare, just make it rare. (or rather make it only available for certain things. Axes are quite good for this because an axe head is relatively simple shape that done't require long thin bits of metal, although I think that was more an issue for early bronze and copper).

But yes I agree with gilbertocarlos if you make them slow no one will use them, from what I understand of PD you'll want to make as many attacks as you can (I think, my 3e stuff is in the attic at the moment)? If you have little armour lots of ordinary attacks will be better than a few heavy attacks as well?

Sorry I reckon I'm probably still missing something here!

I don't really have an issue with getting axes to be used, they are cheap and given defensive attacks, 2h use and/or shields they are pretty flexible weapons, more esoterically they are easier for your hoi palloi to carry around without having questions asked (especially at TL2 before long swords and bastard swords turn up)

Last edited by Tomsdad; 06-05-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #37
Jerander

Another discussion on Passive Defense: thread.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #38
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
But yes I agree with gilbertocarlos if you make them slow no one will use them, from what I understand of PD you'll want to make as many attacks as you can (I think, my 3e stuff is in the attic at the moment)?
From what I recall of 3e in play (didn't do a lot of playing until 4e came out, and my books turned to mush due to a leak), requiring a ready for axes was pretty meaningless. Anyone who didn't have the ST to ignore the ready didn't use an axe. And no one used polearms. An option that has all drawbacks and no benefits isn't an option. At most, it's a penalty you're sometimes stuck with because you have no choice.

And something that takes away from gameplay and reduces realism isn't going to be high on my list of house rules.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #39
kirbwarrior

I'm not sure on the rules in Low-Tech (don't have books atm), but I know that stone axes barely get worse than metal ones, while stone swords are hilariously bad. If metal is scarce, then axes and polearms already look better.

As for PD, I'd accept +300%* on Enhanced Defences to make it so they always work, even if the underlying defence can't. Heck, I think there is an option to auto-dodge with Cosmic in PU4.

*This is overpriced. I'm pretty sure there's a way to get 'No Roll Required' onto your Enhanced Defences, but I don't know how.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #40
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I'm not sure on the rules in Low-Tech (don't have books atm), but I know that stone axes barely get worse than metal ones, while stone swords are hilariously bad. If metal is scarce, then axes and polearms already look better.

As for PD, I'd accept +300%* on Enhanced Defences to make it so they always work, even if the underlying defence can't. Heck, I think there is an option to auto-dodge with Cosmic in PU4.

*This is overpriced. I'm pretty sure there's a way to get 'No Roll Required' onto your Enhanced Defences, but I don't know how.
That's definitely a 300%, as it's blatantly cheating to just declare "I dodged that!"
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, passive defense