Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #1
Hide

Default Berserk and Jet Attacks

Sometimes I want to include berserk as a "feature" for my characters or NPCs...

The big deterrent is that I often have to face ranged attackers (common in the settings I play). And this renders berserk "useless" for "main/boss" characters.

AFAIK, berserk forces melee all-out attacks (virtually) as your only option during combat (ranged attacks prohibited).

But then, I read that "jet" makes certain ranged attacks akin to melee attacks. So I was wondering if my berserk character can buy and use these attacks when berserk.

So, what do you think? Jet attacks could be of great aid to a berserk character.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Berserk and Jet Attacks

Yes, jets function as melee weapons, though note the vastly reduced range of a jet.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yes, jets function as melee weapons, though note the vastly reduced range of a jet.
Thank you man. BTW, your GURPS site is great.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:18 AM   #4
Anthony

Also, note that berserk does not actually forbid making ranged attacks, though some of that may be bad wording. It also doesn't specify melee weapons, it specifies hand weapons (so jet isn't actually relevant). Specifically:
  • If you are 20+ yards away, you are allowed to make ranged attacks if you can.
  • If you are less than 20 yards away and not armed with a hand weapon, the disadvantage is silent, though everyone is armed with hands and feet at least.
  • If you are less than 20 yards away and armed with more than one weapon, it does not actually specify which weapon you must attack with.
My assumption would be that it's legitimate to charge forward shooting and start making melee attacks once in range, but that's something to ask your GM.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
Black Leviathan

We've always allowed Berserkers to full move towards an enemy or perform move-and-attack. It seemed silly that the Berserker is falling behind other warriors as they all-out-attack towards the enemy at 1/2 move.

Jet will work as a berserk attack unless the Jet attack requires a concentrate maneuver like a spell.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
We've always allowed Berserkers to full move towards an enemy or perform move-and-attack. It seemed silly that the Berserker is falling behind other warriors as they all-out-attack towards the enemy at 1/2 move.
All-out attack is only required if you are in range to do so. Move and attack and move and slam are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
If the berserker is carrying the M60, it's getting emptied one turn at a time on full auto, so I'd expect that to be an All-Out Attack.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
If the berserker is carrying the M60, it's getting emptied one turn at a time on full auto, so I'd expect that to be an All-Out Attack.
Yeah, we've all seen this in media. It's almost always the chaingun or machinegun wielder who is also a berserker.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #9
Plane

The big problem with ranged bosses would be:

1) they send out annoying minions (don't do much damage, but are very good at annoying your attacks) within melee range of you: you're forced to try and smack them with your gun rather than shoot at the boss

2) the boss stays in the 10-19 yard sweet spot where all you can do is run at it, not far enough to allow you to shoot at it. The boss is able to move away faster than you can chase, and make ranged attacks at you while you can't.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
1) they send out annoying minions (don't do much damage, but are very good at annoying your attacks) within melee range of you: you're forced to try and smack them with your gun rather than shoot at the boss
Sending fodder to invite the berserker to game of Kadoosh! is, indeed, a viable strategy, particularly if you have the ability to engage at range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
2) the boss stays in the 10-19 yard sweet spot where all you can do is run at it, not far enough to allow you to shoot at it. The boss is able to move away faster than you can chase, and make ranged attacks at you while you can't.
I see no reason why a berserker armed with a firearm would be unable to use Move and Attack to shoot at you while running forward. Indeed, charging forward with a fully-loaded weapon and not unloading it toward the nearest foe seems like inappropriate behavior for such.