Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #22
Litvyak

Default Re: [OCC] Poll : What makes a good PbP game? (will be applied)

Quote:
Genre: Fantasy, DF, Science Fiction, Supers, Space Opera and others. Which make you say "I've got to play this", and which do you particularly avoid?
Genre doesn't normally matter too much.

Quote:
Activities Planned: Do you prefer solving puzzles? or is it combat that enthuses you? How important is character development? Is negotiation an enjoyable part of play?
I enjoy all of the above.

Quote:
Supplement materials: Which sets of rules make or break a PbP game for you? This includes Cinematic vs Realistic, G:Magic, Thuamology, Supers, Psionic Powers, DF, MH, MA, and so forth.
GURPS specifically, I like the Action and MH lines, am perfectly happy with most of the other lines. The jury is still out for me on Technical Grappling. So far I've only used in a Mythic-powered solo game to try out and I'm not sure it adds enough to be worth the extra complexity.

Quote:
Plot: how important is the plot? do you avoid games without it, and only go for ideas that sound cool? do you prefer just wandering around letting characters make their own decisions? And is this question even an issue?
I like at least some sort of motivation for my character, even if it's only "You wake up naked in a strange place", and as long as things aren't completely on rails, then I'm okay with it.

Quote:
Power Level: Do you love working with mounds of points? is such a prospect dull to you? does it matter by genre? similarly, (but not the same) do you enjoy being world shakers, or do you want to deal with peers? or is this even an issue?
Doesn't matter to me. In GURPS terms, I'd be just as happy with 50 point character investigating the Cthulhu mythos as I would be with 400 point MH character battling demons and vampires.

Quote:
House Rules: Are they annoying or wonderful? If depends, what determines this? or are they just all par for the course?
I'd call this the number one way a game loses my interest. I'm generally fine with house rules to fit the setting or to fit the PbP format. I generally pass if there's major changes outside of that. Honestly, I also pass if I find myself losing focus reading through setting rules. Generally, less is more in my opinion.

Quote:
Gaming Group: Different players and GMs cause games to behave differently. when using PbP on this forum, how important is who is already playing in the game, or GMing it?
Very important. I can't really speak about this forum, but in my past PbP experience, I have dealt with people behaved obnoxiously OOC and I wouldn't game with someone like that again.

Quote:
Other issues: what other issues strongly effect how well a pbp game runs?
Posting frequency, or at least being on the same page about posting frequency when there is three or more people involved. This is especially true in a combat heavy game when posting by initiative every round.

Even outside of that, though, the longer the interval between posts, the less likely for my head to be in the game.