Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
Tallor

Default Ultra-Tech Guns and High Cyclic Controlled Bursts

In GURPS: High Tech we are greeted with this little note:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS: High Tech p.79
RoF: Firearms capable of firing high-cyclic controlled bursts (p. 83) have a number sign (#) after RoF.
Which is cool. So we go on to page 83 to find this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS: High Tech p.83
Some guns with very high rates of fire (25-35 shots per second) can fire short bursts so quickly that the bullets exit the barrel before recoil and muzzle climb affect the shooter. This is called a “high-cyclic controlled burst.” Such weapons have a number sign (#) after RoF.

Guns firing high-cyclic controlled bursts are subject to Limited Bursts (above). In addition, they can’t use Suppression Fire (p. B409). However, shots fired in
controlled-burst mode have effective Rcl 1. If the gun has selective fire, then in addition to firing at its controlled-burst RoF, it might be able to switch to its
normal RoF and/or semiautomatic fire at RoF 3. Details appear in individual weapon descriptions.
So now we have the details. #RoF is a HCCB, and those are great because they only have Rcl 1.

BUT... there's only a handful of these magnificent creatures in the book! Examples include:

Heckler and Koch Volkspistole Modell 70 (Machine pistol)
Aircraft Armament Inc. XM19 Serial Flechette Rifle (Experimental Rifle)
Heckler and Koch (Experimental Rifle)

The last one is the best example for my hypothesis, since it's an experimental, bullpup, caseless rifle. It's quite similar to the TL9 conventional gun designs of GURPS, and it was designed no less than 20 years ago!

So I wonder: Perhaps not in TL8, but by TL9, should more guns be HCCB-capable?

What do you think?
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Ultra-Tech Guns and High Cyclic Controlled Bursts

HCCB is a fairly new technology, overall, which is why you see it only in a few of the newer TL8 weapons.

I've made notes on several of my custom TL11 blaster designs that they can be fired with RoF 9# or a full-auto 10. I can see it being common in TL9 and TL10 conventional weapons and some light-automatic beam weapons.

Because HT is newer than UT, several new options that ended up in HT got left out of UT. If you wish to make the UT conventional weapons HCCB, go right ahead!

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
HCCB is a fairly new technology, overall, which is why you see it only in a few of the newer TL8 weapons.

I've made notes on several of my custom TL11 blaster designs that they can be fired with RoF 9# or a full-auto 10. I can see it being common in TL9 and TL10 conventional weapons and some light-automatic beam weapons.

Because HT is newer than UT, several new options that ended up in HT got left out of UT. If you wish to make the UT conventional weapons HCCB, go right ahead!
I imagine all conventional automatic rifles and carbines could have #3-9, but I wonder what other weapons could use HCCBs. The Gatling Carbine would be hilarious at #10.
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
I imagine all conventional automatic rifles and carbines could have #3-9, but I wonder what other weapons could use HCCBs. The Gatling Carbine would be hilarious at #10.
10 doesn't make sense as an RoF with burst-limiting. You can always fire 3 bursts (like semiauto), so the overall RoF will be a multiple of 3.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:02 AM   #5
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
10 doesn't make sense as an RoF with burst-limiting. You can always fire 3 bursts (like semiauto), so the overall RoF will be a multiple of 3.
This. 6#, 9#, or 12# are possible, with bursts of 2, 3, or 4 rounds each, but 10# isn't a suitable RoF using HCCB. (A RoF of 9#/10 is possible, but that's three 3-round bursts or a straight 10-round burst, not a 10#.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:24 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
HT being newer doesn't remove the fact that HT came out after Very Rapid Fire was already a thing. If anything, I'm puzzled why HT decided that the good thing about standards is that there are so many of them. Now, I can't recall whether UT or Powers came first, and if they were edited in parallel, a lack of standardisation is understandable. But if UT came later, including VRF would've been nice.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:40 AM   #7
Edo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
Pistols, especially big-bore pistols. RoF 6# on a pistol offers the perfect double-tap, and the higher the gun's ordinary Rcl the more perfect it gets.

Tags
hccb, ultratech