Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #531
Der Wanderer

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

Phase [24 CPs]
Insubstantiality (Active Defense -40%; Emergency Only -30%; Can Carry Objects (No Encumbrance) +10%; Costs 2 FPs -10%)

Description:
This is similar to the Phase spell from Magic. You can phase out of the plane of existance to avoid an attack, to do so roll against DX/2 + 3 (+1 for combat reflexes). You can do this multiple times per turn with a cumulative -4. Each time you use this ability it costs you 2 FPs...

Power Up:
- Remove the FP cost
- Add Reliable 10 or Cosmic (No Dice Roll)

Last edited by Der Wanderer; 08-07-2006 at 02:02 AM.
Der Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:54 AM   #532
Der Wanderer

Ok, I was designing this power as AA to Telekinesis for a Chi/Karate master (so I intend to base this attacks on the Karate Skill)... and out of curiosity (Aroused by this thread ) I added Reliable and Cosmic (No Die Roll Required)... the result is frightening...

Godly Force Fists of Doom [25]
Damage: thr+1
Damage Types: imp, cut, cr
Range: Melee C-50 (D1/2 50)
Specials: Dual-Weapon; Anything beyond your fist is invisible; Reliable +10; Cosmic (No Die Roll Required)
Ambidexterity

1-50 Range Modifier +345%
Jet +0%; Increased Range 50 meter +40%; Increased D1/2 50 meter +25%; Dual Weapon +10%; ST-Based +100%; Reliable +10 +50%; Cosmic (No Die Roll Required) +100%; Invisible +20%;
Imp = 8 * 4.45 (Range Modifier) * 0.3 (only +1 dmg) = 11 CPs
Cut = 7 * 4.45 * 0.3 * 0.2 (Alternative Attack) = 2 CPs
Cr = 5 * 4.45 * 0.3 * 0.2 = 2 CPs

C Range Modifier +230%
Melee C -30%; Dual Weapon +10%; ST-Based +100%; Reliable +10 +50%; Cosmic (No Die Roll) +100%
Imp = 8 * 3.3 * 0.3 * 0.2 = 2 CPs
Cut = 7 * 3.3 * 0.3 * 0.2 = 2 CPs
Cr = 5 * 3.3 * 0.3 * 0.2 = 1 CP

Description:
You can punch, not hard (thr +1) but far (range C-50 meter). What is really scary is your "skill". With DX 10 and no special skill you can take up to -17 in penalties and still hit (talking of Rapid Strike + Eye Hit location), and your defense is flawless (up to 8 parries assuming no additional penalties)

Designer Notes:
Added Ambidexterity to round it up to 25 CPs...
Trained by a Master will roughly double the number of parries you can make...
Drop the C range and define it as swinging weapon and your damage will rock too... no... forget about that, don't do this... actually don't use this power... ever!
Edit: Weapon Master (Saber); Saber 10 = 30 Parries!!!

Last edited by Der Wanderer; 08-07-2006 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:04 AM   #533
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Wanderer
Godly Force Fists of Doom [25]
I am very impressed with this one! It emulates so many anime genre conventions well (I'm thinking Ranma 1/2, etc.) It also makes a good base for that "I swing a sword and it pushes the air so you get hit from 50 feet away!" thing.

... however, I have no idea how to pare down the writeup to fit into the oh-so-carefully modeled "base template" I have in the book. Can you maybe repost it so it fits into the template in post 1? Pretty please with a cherry on top? (I'm not being lazy! I just don't want to lose any important info in the translation! Really!)
Atreyu_Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:55 AM   #534
Der Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki
I am very impressed with this one! It emulates so many anime genre conventions well (I'm thinking Ranma 1/2, etc.) It also makes a good base for that "I swing a sword and it pushes the air so you get hit from 50 feet away!" thing.

... however, I have no idea how to pare down the writeup to fit into the oh-so-carefully modeled "base template" I have in the book. Can you maybe repost it so it fits into the template in post 1? Pretty please with a cherry on top? (I'm not being lazy! I just don't want to lose any important info in the translation! Really!)
Sure...
To be more general I omited Ambidexterity
EDIT: Increased Range to raise cost to 25 CPs

Cosmic Anime-Fu Strike[25]
Innate Attack +1 (Impaling +495%; Jet +0%; Increased Range 150 meter +140%; Increased D1/2 150 meter +75%; Dual Weapon +10%; ST-Based +100%; Reliable +10 +50%; Cosmic (No Die Roll Required) +100%; No Signature +20%) [15]
Innate Attack +1 (Impaling +230%; Melee C -30%; Dual Weapon +10%; ST-Based +100%; Reliable +10 +50%; Cosmic (No Die Roll) +100%) [AA 2 CPs]
Innate Attack +1 (Cutting +495%; Jet +0%; Increased Range 150 meter +140%; Increased D1/2 150 meter +75%; Dual Weapon +10%; ST-Based +100%; Reliable +10 +50%; Cosmic (No Die Roll Required) +100%; No Signature +20%) [AA 3 CPs]
Innate Attack +1 (Cutting +230%; Melee C -30%; Dual Weapon +10%; ST-Based +100%; Reliable +10 +50%; Cosmic (No Die Roll) +100%) [AA 2 CPs]
Innate Attack +1 (Crushing +495%; Jet +0%; Increased Range 150 meter +140%; Increased D1/2 150 meter +75%; Dual Weapon +10%; ST-Based +100%; Reliable +10 +50%; Cosmic (No Die Roll Required) +100%; No Signature +20%) [AA 2 CPs]
Innate Attack +1 (Crushing +230%; Melee C -30%; Dual Weapon +10%; ST-Based +100%; Reliable +10 +50%; Cosmic (No Die Roll) +100%) [AA 1 CP]

Description:
Damage: thr+1
Range: Melee C-150 (D1/2 150)
Specials: Dual-Weapon; Anything beyond your fist is invisible; Reliable +10; Cosmic (No Die Roll Required)
You can punch, not hard (thr +1) but far (range C-150 meter). What is really scary is your "skill". With DX 10 and no special skill you can take up to -17 in penalties and still hit (talking of Rapid Strike + Eye Hit location), and your defense is flawless (up to 7 parries assuming no additional penalties)

Designer Notes:
Trained by a Master will roughly double the number of parries you can make (So would Weapon Master if it is modeled as a weapon (see below) and Fencing Weapons)...
Drop the C range and define it as swinging weapon (possibly leave the impaling attack as thrust) and your damage will increase nicely.
Add Accessiblity (Requires a pair of (insert your weapon of choice here)) -20%
Change Visibility to taste (In most animes, this kind of attack is actually visible and can be parried or dodged)
Could also be interesting for Jedis with Only to Parry Blaster Shots on Reliable and Cosmic, to simulate their ability to parry countless blaster shots every round...

Jubeis* Katana Strike [52]
Innate Attack +2 (Impaling +300%; Jet +0%; Increased Range 50 meter +40%; Increased D1/2 50 meter +25%; ST-Based (thrust) +100%; Reliable +10 +50%; Cosmic (No Die Roll Required) +100%; Low Signature +10%; Requires a Katana -10%; Two handed -15%) [AA 4 CPs]
Innate Attack +3 (Cutting +300%; Jet +0%; Increased Range 50 meter +40%; Increased D1/2 50 meter +25%; ST-Based (swing) +100%; Reliable +10 +50%; Cosmic (No Die Roll Required) +100%; Low Signature +10%; Requires a Katana -10%; Two handed -15%) [28 CPs]
Weapon Master (Katana) [20]

Description:
Damage: imp thr+2 or cut sw+3
Range: Melee 1-50 (D1/2 50)
Skill: Use Two-Handed Sword Skill or Parry Missle Weapon (Two handed sword) to calculate your effective skill.
Success Roll: You do not need to roll any dice as long as your effective skill is 3 or better.

*Jubei is the main hero in the Anime: Ninja Scrolls

Last edited by Der Wanderer; 08-07-2006 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:10 AM   #535
Der Wanderer

Actually to really use it, I think I should drop the Cosmic and the C Range
Edit: Increased Range to 100 meter so that it now costs 25 CPs...

Anime-Fu Strike [25]
Innate Attack +2 (Impaling +290%; Jet +0%; Increased Range 100 meter +90%; Increased D1/2 100 meter +50%; Dual Weapon +10%; ST-Based +100%; No Signature +20%) [18]
Innate Attack +2 (Cutting +290%; Jet +0%; Increased Range 100 meter +90%; Increased D1/2 100 meter +50%; Dual Weapon +10%; ST-Based +100%; No Signature +20%) [AA 16/5 = 4 CPs]
Innate Attack +2 (Crushing +290%; Jet +0%; Increased Range 100 meter +90%; Increased D1/2 100 meter +50%; Dual Weapon +10%; ST-Based +100%; No Signature +20%) [AA 12/5 = 3 CPs]

Description:
Damage: thr+2
Range: Melee 1-100 (D1/2 100)
Specials: Dual-Weapon; Anything beyond your fist/weapon is invisible
You can punch, not hard (thr +2) but far (range 1-100 meter).

Designer Notes:
Accessiblity (Requires a pair of (insert your weapon of choice here)) -20%
Accessiblity (Requires a (insert your weapon of choice here)) -10%
Change Visibility to taste (In most animes, this kind of attack is actually visible and can be parried or dodged)

Last edited by Der Wanderer; 08-07-2006 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #536
Der Wanderer

Super Cross Eyed [5 CPs]
Panoptics I (separated from 360° Vision)

Description:
You can look in any direction without turning/moving your head (You still need a clear line of sight from your eyes, just treat yourself as completely transparent). Unless you state otherwise you are looking straight ahead like a regular human. This power does not work if you cannot see for any reasons

Minor Clairvoyance [25 CPs]
Panoptics II (separated from 360° vision) [15]
Protected Senses (Sight) [5]
Penetrating Vision 0.5 (3 inches) [5]

Description:
This power gives you the ability to displace your sense of sight to any point on your body (e.g. you could be looking out from your hand). This displacement is completely untraceable, and you can look through your cloth/armor and up to 3 inches of solid objects. However unless you state otherwise you are looking straight ahead.
Additional your sense of sight is protected against overload. While your eyes still can be damaged this has no influence on your sense of sight.

Designer Notes:
- Panoptics I & II from Powers pg39 was separated from 360° Vision using the rules from B53 (Modifying Beings With One or Two Arms)
- The idea to take half a level of penetrating vision is from enhanced move B52
- There are (to my knowledge) no guidelines on how to place eyes on your heroes body, and there appears to be no extra cost to have the eyes on a more flexible bodypart than a human neck (e.g. owls don't pay extra for being able to turn their head 180° in either direction...)
Old 08-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #537
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Quote:
Ok, I was designing this power as AA to Telekinesis for a Chi/Karate master (so I intend to base this attacks on the Karate Skill)... and out of curiosity (Aroused by this thread ) I added Reliable and Cosmic (No Die Roll Required)... the result is frightening...
Kromm stated that Reliable cannot be applied to attacks. Sorry.
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:10 PM   #538
Der Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads
Kromm stated that Reliable cannot be applied to attacks. Sorry.
Well IIRC the exact wording was: "Its highly unfair and should not be done"
However I wrote the ability before this became clear... and actually the last version (Anime-Fu Strike) was designed without Reliable (and without Cosmic (No Die Rolls))
Old 08-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #539
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Quote:
Well IIRC the exact wording was: "Its highly unfair and should not be done"
However I wrote the ability before this became clear... and actually the last version (Anime-Fu Strike) was designed without Reliable (and without Cosmic (No Die Rolls))
I'm not saying you're an heretic, I just pointed out what Kromm clarified. ;)
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:44 PM   #540
Darkwind1823

For those of you who read Stephen King, this should be fairly recognizable:

Thinner [41]
Affliction 1 (Disadvantage: Increased Consumption 4 +40%; Cumulative +400%; *Extended Duration: Permanent +150%; Limited Use: 1/day -40%; Melee Attack: Reach C -30%, Cannot Parry -5%; Contact Agent - 30%; Onset: 1 day -30%; Preparation Required: 1 hour -50%)

*if you've read the book, in order to break the curse, you have to mix your blood with some type of food, and get someone else to eat it. Then the curse transfers to them. I couldn't think of a way to represent that hear, so I just left it at one person.

BTW, increased consumption 4 means they have to eat 24 meals a day, and since the curse is cumulative, you just have to touch them again, and say, "...thinner.".
Darkwind1823 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers