Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
acriku

Default Unmunchkinly conduct

So I understand the point of the game is to have fun and mess with other people. I thoroughly enjoy that part. But this situation came up that I find to be either illegal or outside the boundaries of fun intended for the game.

The game has started and I have been dealt my 8 cards. I have a 2-hand item and the Unicorn Steed (immune to curses cast by other players). Everyone is putting down their cards before the first player begins his turn. I place my 2-hand item down to equip it and just before I put down my Unicorn Steed, another player (the GM, unfortunately) curses me to not be able to carry 2-handed weapons.

Am I not afforded an amount of time to equip myself before anyone can curse me or is this perfectly legal before the game even begins?

Either way, the GM is a notorious DBag in our game circle. :-P
Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Unmunchkinly conduct

Curses cannot be played before the first player's turn actually begins by Kicking Open the Door, and that turn cannot begin until all players have been afforded the chance to play any cards they may choose. This may not be explicit in the rules, but it IS the official answer.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 01-22-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
acriku

Thank you for the official answer. I was hoping you were around :-D
Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
SnakeChips

Ya but the game has started and curses(which has been stated to be able to be played at ANY TIME), if it can't be played then, and in my opinion, cant truly be played "at any time". That's just my thoughts on the matter.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
acriku

The GM ^ lol
Old 01-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeChips View Post
Ya but the game has started and curses(which has been stated to be able to be played at ANY TIME), if it can't be played then, and in my opinion, cant truly be played "at any time". That's just my thoughts on the matter.
"Character Creation" comes before "Starting and Finishing the Game" in the rules. The character creation step, where players can play their starting cards, is therefore before the game technically begins. Letter of the rules aside, I'm officially ruling (for a second time) that playing Curses on players who are still looking over their starting cards and deciding what to play is a Dick Move and not allowed.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
SnakeChips

It never actually states whether character creation is apart of when the game starts or not. Just because it is the section before it, doesn't mean it is not a part of it. That's like saying you cant play any items in combat because that section is after it in the rules. Also this game is full of dick moves and screwing people over. It also encouages cheating if you can get away with it. So technically how is anything "illegal". Again this is just my opinion on the matter and once the cards are dealt, it is game on. Just like in any other game. So to me it is legit unless its stated in the rules(rewriting for all new sets to state this) or I hear from steve himself on this ruling. Because like I said, game has started and curse can be played anytime. Nothing againt you, just my thoughts on it.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
williamg1313

They officially removed the part in the rules that encouraged cheating.
And Andrew is one of the few poeple who can make official rules on the forums
Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Mister Ed

Just as a point of information, Andrew's rulings are as official as they get. You are free to houserule pretty much anything for your own games, but if he says something is the official rule, it is.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
LordArach

Wow. This has got to be one of the most accurate thread titles I've seen. I'm surprised this hasn't been closed yet.

Praise "Bob"!
Closed Thread

Tags
curse, rules, unicorn steed