Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #101
Johnny Angel

Default Re: Vote up a SUPERS! setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Run-Off Round on When

Pulp, WWII, The Cold War, and the Sixties, were the four highest in round one. Now for round two. Everybody will assign a number one to four to each option. Four equals four votes, three equals three, ect.

A) Pulp (1890-1939)

B) WWII (from the earliest moves in the Asian theatre to the Berlin Airlift)

C) The Cold War (1944-1964)

D) The Sixties (1962-1975)

We'll tie down when and where in the chosen period after we choose it.

My Votes
B) WWII - 3 votes

C) The Cold War - 2 votes

D) The Sixties - 3 votes

A) Pulp - 1 vote

1 vote which I am not using.

My thoughts: I'd like for the game to be set in a transition period; somewhere between the mid-50s to the mid-60s. WWII is over, but there are still a few cultural aftershocks from it. The Cold War is going on, but there are a lot of cultural changes going on. I feel that provides a good backdrop for how and why supers came to be while also maintaining a wide variety of possible character themes and motivations. If I were asked to be far more specific, I'd choose either sometime between October of 1958 and January of 1959 or sometime between Nov 1,1959 and Dec 26,1959.

Last edited by Johnny Angel; 12-06-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: edited my votes to better reflect my ideas and the voting scheme
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #102
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post

My thoughts: I'd like for the game to be set in a transition period; somewhere between the mid-50s to the mid-60s. WWII is over, but there are still a few cultural aftershocks from it. The Cold War is going on, but there are a lot of cultural changes going on. I feel that provides a good backdrop for how and why supers came to be while also maintaining a wide variety of possible character themes and motivations. If I were asked to be far more specific, I'd choose either sometime between October of 1958 and January of 1959 or sometime between Nov 1,1959 and Dec 26,1959.
Then I'm confused about why you voted for WWII over Cold War, which explicitly covers the period you're talking about.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #103
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Then I'm confused about why you voted for WWII over Cold War, which explicitly covers the period you're talking about.
The voting scheme being what it is, I used my votes in a manner which I felt would -in the long run- have the most potential to produce the results I wanted.

edit: Originally, I was going to say 1960. However, I thought it would be more interesting to have the change from 50s to 60s as something the character in a game could live through. I didn't vote specifically for "Cold War" because the time period I want falls into that category as well as "The Sixties" option. While I do want a time period which is covered by the "Cold War" option, I don't necessarily want the setting to be so heavily tied to things which are typically part of "The Cold War." As Cold War is pretty far ahead of some of the other influences I want to support, I voted in such a way that I would still support Cold War, but also show that I'd like other influences to be involved by (hopefully) nudging the numbers to be closer than what they currently are.

Last edited by Johnny Angel; 12-07-2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: edit
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #104
Astromancer

The vote so far, including mine.

Pulp 35

WWII 30

The Cold War 32

The Sixties 29

Well, Pulp and the Cold War are pulling ahead. Some folks are saying they think/feel the Sixties should be blended into the Cold War. I'm thinking whatever period wins, there will need to be a place with Gates/Portals that will allows transit between periods.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 12-07-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #105
tfaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Except for the fact that some votes aren't valid not. Each person has 10 votes, which would imply the total is a multiple of 10. Its not: its 97. if you subtract 10 from each number (which is close to how it should be) you get numbers between 16 and 12, which is STILL really close.
I'm not sure what you're saying here, so I'll state my original point in a different way; a voting system where people have to give some combination of 4, 3, 2, and 1 votes to 4 options is identical to a system where people have to give 3, 2, 1, and 0 votes to 4 options. The only effect of the former system is that each person contributes one extra vote to each candidate. You can swap between the two systems by subtracting the number of voters from the total for each candidate.
tfaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #106
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfaal View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying here, so I'll state my original point in a different way; a voting system where people have to give some combination of 4, 3, 2, and 1 votes to 4 options is identical to a system where people have to give 3, 2, 1, and 0 votes to 4 options. The only effect of the former system is that each person contributes one extra vote to each candidate. You can swap between the two systems by subtracting the number of voters from the total for each candidate.
I got your point, its quite possible I gave a very confusing (and grammatically poor) answer. My points were that:

first, some people and holding votes back. If they weren't the total points would be a multiple of 10

and second, that things are still quite close using the 0 1 2 3 scheme.

your point is mathematically correct, it just doesn't change the total effect, even when simply comparing leads.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #107
Daigoro

This might be a bit complicated to work with, but it's possible to keep all four time periods if the vote is so close, without necessarily using time travel.

Similar to the Watchmen, just define what the setting is like in different periods, and how they relate to each other, and some major characters that span all periods. GMs can then decide which period to play in, or, even more elaborately, set up cross-period campaigns, where PCs play multiple characters, either related to each other or not, or single characters at different stages in their career.

My votes-
+4 WWII
+3 Cold War
+2 Pulp
+1 60's
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #108
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Run-Off Round on When

Pulp, WWII, The Cold War, and the Sixties, were the four highest in round one. Now for round two. Everybody will assign a number one to four to each option. Four equals four votes, three equals three, etc.

We'll tie down when and where in the chosen period after we choose it.
4 A) Pulp (1890-1939)

3 B) WWII (from the earliest moves in the Asian theatre to the Berlin Airlift)

1 C) The Cold War (1944-1964)

2 D) The Sixties (1962-1975)
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #109
Astromancer

The vote so far, including mine.

Pulp 41

WWII 36

The Cold War 36

The Sixties 32

Well, Pulp is pulling ahead. WWII and the Cold War are in second and the Sixties is last. I'm still thinking whatever period wins, there will need to be a place with Gates/Portals that will allows transit between periods. Who likes/loaths/can tolerate the idea of a nexial gate/s? Feedback please.

After we say when, we'll start voting on numbers and types of origins. However...

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 12-10-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #110
Astromancer

Causes of there being "Origins" in the first place!

This isn't How did you became a Super? this is Why is it possible for you to be a super?

The catagories are simple..

A) It's Natural, it just is.

B) An Accident, the universe didn't have to be this way.

C) Someone caused this.

Everybody gets three votes, Place two on the one you like best and the third can be placed on any of the three options including the one you already voted for. This means one of these gets two votes, but the third vote can go either on another option or your favorite.

None of these Options precludes any time period or type of origin. In the Gods war I discribed early in this thread, Brigid and Quetzelcoalt/Uncle Sam used techonology to create supers, Osun and Athena helped people understand their inner powers, and Indra and Anubis used powerful magics. Any type of origins or setting can fit with any of these options, but they will shape the setting.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 12-10-2012 at 06:09 AM.