Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-27-2020, 07:13 PM   #1
aesir23

Default Enhancements on Weakness

I'm trying to come up with house rules to enhance the Weakness disadvantage with things like Side Effect or other Afflictions.

In my DC Comics thread (see my Sig), I'm pretty dissatisfied with what I was able to do with Weakness.

Thinking particularly about Kryptonite--it does more than just caused damage at regular intervals to Kryptonians. It also drained their strength and nearly incapacitates them. If all Kryptonite did was 1D per minute, it wouldn't much matter to Superman. He could just beat up the bad guys and fly out of there in a matter of seconds.

So what I want is a version of Weakness that also A: Causes damage to attributes and B: Causes Incapacitation (Agony) (or possibly just Irritant: Terrible Pain).

But what would be a fair price? Should I build them as new disadvantages or as an enhancement on Weakness?
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Enhancements on Weakness

Just add whatever Disads you'd like to have, and give them Environmental: Nearby Kryptonite. They'll all activate together, and stop when the Kryptonite goes away. No need to tie them all to one base Disad, nor Link. If you like, wrap the collection up into a "Kryptonite" meta-trait just for ease of notation and documentation.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:28 PM   #3
Varyon

Consider a Limitation on the abilities the weakness negates to have it do just that. If you want it to cause physical pain, give the character something like an "always on" Chronic Pain, and negate it with an Advantage with the same Limitation.

Not working in the presence of some Rare substance (like Kryptonite) is probably a -5% Limitation. Put that on any ST above 10 (possibly even on some of the ST below 10), Flight, DR, IT:DR, etc. Then give the character Chronic Pain, Severe (Always On x4; 2 hour* intervals x1) [-40] and No Chronic Pain (Bane: Kryptonite -5%) [38].

*With Always On, the Interval doesn't make a lot of sense, and with it being tied to exposure to Kryptonite, it basically just lasts as long as the Kryptonite is around. That in mind, I just set it to 2 hour intervals simply because that's the x1 level.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:59 PM   #4
lwcamp

This is similar to something I've been trying to figure out for a while. In a Sci-Fi setting I've been working on, one of the alien sapient species has a fiber-optic based nervous system. If they are hit by a laser, the bright light temporarily overloads them and they get stunned. This seems like an affliction, but I can't find any rules for applying an affliction as a disadvantage when exposed to a certain environmental condition.

I don't have a solution for you, sorry, but you might want to know that others have also run into similar issues.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:24 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I'm trying to come up with house rules to enhance the Weakness disadvantage with things like Side Effect or other Afflictions.

In my DC Comics thread (see my Sig), I'm pretty dissatisfied with what I was able to do with Weakness.

Thinking particularly about Kryptonite--it does more than just caused damage at regular intervals to Kryptonians. It also drained their strength and nearly incapacitates them. If all Kryptonite did was 1D per minute, it wouldn't much matter to Superman. He could just beat up the bad guys and fly out of there in a matter of seconds.

So what I want is a version of Weakness that also A: Causes damage to attributes and B: Causes Incapacitation (Agony) (or possibly just Irritant: Terrible Pain).

But what would be a fair price? Should I build them as new disadvantages or as an enhancement on Weakness?
David T. Moore came up with a rather brilliant extrapolation I use pretty often. You can find it here.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:38 PM   #6
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
David T. Moore came up with a rather brilliant extrapolation I use pretty often. You can find it here.
Thanks! This is the best option I've seen so far.

I might try to write something up pretty soon.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #7
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I like it!
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:45 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:

It's what I use. It's very well thought out.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:47 PM   #9
DangerousThing

Quote:

Is kryptonite rare or common? During some runs of the comic every other two-bit villain had some form of kryptonite. And most of his villains certainly know about it.

Lex even wore a ring with green k in it for a while, until it gave him cancer. Of course, he blamed that on Superman, also.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:29 AM   #10
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Is kryptonite rare or common? During some runs of the comic every other two-bit villain had some form of kryptonite. And most of his villains certainly know about it.

Lex even wore a ring with green k in it for a while, until it gave him cancer. Of course, he blamed that on Superman, also.
In my continuity it's Rare. You can read about my approach to Kryptonite in this post.

Tags
kryptonite, superman, supers, weakness