Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:01 AM   #11
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: The 1-2 Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
I want to hear from somebody who's lost playing Advanced Ogre defense w/40 Lt Tanks and 15 Infantry sections.

(Yes, it's on topic because Ogres have a bunch of 3-point attacks that round down vs. D2.)
I've not played with any mix like that...but...

OGRE SCENARIOS says:
0.32 The “Fuzzy Wuzzy” effect.
One of the greatest dangers to an Ogre is the “Fuzzy Wuzzy” effect, described in The Ogre Book under “Ogres and the Fuzzy Wuzzy Fallacy” by Lawrence Duffield.
It is an extremely effective tactic, but one that is unrealistic in an advanced military.
To counter the temptation of this strategy, we recommend limiting amount of points spent on identical units to no more than 25% of total points spent.

And THE OGRE BOOK 1st edition page 19 "Ogres and the Fuzzy Wuzzy Fallacy" by Lawrence Duffield discusses this.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 01-25-2015 at 01:07 AM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #12
43Supporter

Default Re: The 1-2 Problem

As noted: The "Fuzzy-Wuzzy problem" has been around since Day One; the usual solution is to disallow any one defense unit making up more than a certain percentage of the defense.

One factor which has never been dealt with: Command control between various subunits of the defense -- namely: Tank Platoon A and Tank Platoon B do not get to talk to each other directly; there is much faffing about going up through Company, Battalion, and possibly even Regimental, command layers (in both directions, no less). To which end: "Before the game, the defender determines what platoon a unit belongs to; no more than four units may be assigned to a platoon; no unit may coordinate attacks with any unit outside its platoon."

Ex.: A force of 40 LGEVs would have to be divided into no fewer than 10 platoons (four LGEVs per). Each platoon can only coordinate attacks with others of its platoon; thus, no attack by this force may exceed Attack Value 4. If eight LGEVs attack an OGRE Secondary Battery, it is rendered as two separate 2:1 attacks (A4 v. D2) instead of one 4:1 (A8 v. D2).

Conversely, a force of 12 HVYs would have to be divided into no fewer than 3 platoons (four HVYs per); no attack may be stronger than Attack Value 12.

There's also the joy to be had in allowing OGREs the "Nuclear Hand Grenade": Any OGRE Missile may be tipped with a warhead equivalent to that of a Cruise Missile; attack is the same as a CM, but range remains 5 hexes. Firing the weapon costs the OGRE 12 VP (so it needs to kill at least two full-sized armor units to "pay for itself"). Given what a CM warhead does to hovers and INF, the feeling of perverse pleasure to be derived from obliterating some munchkin's "soap opera" in one shot....

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote