Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-17-2020, 07:15 PM   #1
Sirfuzz

Default Kitchen Sink Titles!

Hey all! I'm super new here.

Recently I have gotten into Suzerain. I love the meta-setting idea, and I am looking for other types of settings that do something similar. Any thoughts? I've always been a 5e/SWADE kind of guy. I've heard some good things about Rifts?

Thanks for the help. :)
Sirfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Kitchen Sink Titles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirfuzz View Post
Hey all! I'm super new here.

Recently I have gotten into Suzerain. I love the meta-setting idea, and I am looking for other types of settings that do something similar. Any thoughts? I've always been a 5e/SWADE kind of guy. I've heard some good things about Rifts?

Thanks for the help. :)
Rifts is indeed an almost unchallengeable contender for the title of "Ultimate Kitchen Sink setting" and the setting will probably have something in it you'd like (in principle). It'll almost have to. It has everything in it.

However, the game mechanics are a hot mess. Although after looking through a buddy's copy of the Savage World Rifts at least they're simple in comparison to the Savage Worlds version.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:26 PM   #3
Sirfuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It'll almost have to. It has everything in it.
Haha.. this was a beautiful answer.
Sirfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:46 PM   #4
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Rifts is indeed an almost unchallengeable contender for the title of "Ultimate Kitchen Sink setting" and the setting will probably have something in it you'd like (in principle). It'll almost have to. It has everything in it.

However, the game mechanics are a hot mess. Although after looking through a buddy's copy of the Savage World Rifts at least they're simple in comparison to the Savage Worlds version.
Having played both versions, the SW rules are much to be preferred.

One of the nice things about Rifts, though, is that as long as you're not too concerned about source fidelity, it's very easy to adapt to just about any system. I converted it to Big Eyes, Small Mouth 3rd, and that worked quite well, for example. You could, of course, do it in GURPS, but I'm not sure the work would be worth it... and with Palladium's attitude toward IP and conversions, it's difficult to share conversions with other people.

As for other options: the old clash of timelines game TORG, and GURPS' Infinite Worlds, spring to mind.
Apollonian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:45 PM   #5
William

Yeah the GURPS Infinite Worlds setting is pretty much designed for that, and is of course the house product around here.

Since you mention D&D (at least that's the 5e, I assume), in D&D I think the best you'll get for multiworld gaming is either Planescape or Spelljammer. Spelljammer focuses on the various Prime Material worlds and Planescape does the elemental and spiritual planes. I don't think either is presently in print but there's a fansite at planewalker.com. Neither includes high-tech worlds though; the connection between the D&D worlds and anything technological is pretty occult lore.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
One of the nice things about Rifts, though, is that as long as you're not too concerned about source fidelity, it's very easy to adapt to just about any system. I converted it to Big Eyes, Small Mouth 3rd, and that worked quite well, for example. You could, of course, do it in GURPS, but I'm not sure the work would be worth it... and with Palladium's attitude toward IP and conversions, it's difficult to share conversions with other people.
For a certain type of player group, running the Rifts setting in FATE could be interesting. It would be almost the opposite sort of game from what you would get from the original Rifts mechanics, which very definitely give crunch top priority.