Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2020, 10:25 PM   #1
mirtexxan

Default [BASIC] Extended Duration and Aura

"To add Extended Duration to an attack, the attack must either have
Aura, Persistent, or Wall, or specifically allow this enhancement." (B105)

Why is aura explicitly called here? As far as I understand an attack with Aura does not (normally) have any duration...

This line is a bit puzzling to me, can you explain?

And, by the way, do you confirm that I can apply ED to Innate Attacks or Afflictions with relevant modifiers (e.g. irritants or condition with a duration)?
mirtexxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
mirtexxan

Default Re: [BASIC] Extended Duration and Aura

Kromm PMed me the RAI, if anyone is interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtexxan

"To add Extended Duration to an attack, the attack must either have Aura, Persistent, or Wall, or specifically allow this enhancement." (B105)

Why is aura explicitly called here? As far as I understand an attack with Aura does not (normally) have any duration...
To be honest, David Pulver wrote that portion of the rules, so I'm not 100% certain what he was thinking. My best guess is that he changed his mind on how Aura should work! At any rate, it's simplest to read that as:
Extended Duration can be added only to an attack that has a duration as opposed to being instantaneous, such as an Affliction or anything with the Persistent enhancement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtexxan

And, by the way, do you confirm that I can apply Extended Duration to relevant Innate Attacks or Afflictions (e.g. irritants or condition with a duration)?
Yes, that's the idea. The wording above should clarify!
mirtexxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Thanks! That makes sense and I've added tags.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:16 PM   #4
Plane

Looking at B102... given that Aura doesn't actually say "stays on forever", going with B101 guidelines, what if we assumed each switch-on only kept an Aura on for 10 seconds before it required another ready maneuver to re-activate it? Auras would still be pretty powerful/useful in that context, I'd still pay 80% for it.

Otherwise the only way you avoid 'aura forever' situations is with the 'maximum duration' limitation, which has that annoying 5 minutes of downtime aspect.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:06 PM   #5
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Looking at B102... given that Aura doesn't actually say "stays on forever", going with B101 guidelines, what if we assumed each switch-on only kept an Aura on for 10 seconds before it required another ready maneuver to re-activate it? Auras would still be pretty powerful/useful in that context, I'd still pay 80% for it.

Otherwise the only way you avoid 'aura forever' situations is with the 'maximum duration' limitation, which has that annoying 5 minutes of downtime aspect.
Aura doesn't require a Ready maneuver. You decide whether or not it's on at the start of your turn.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #6
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Aura doesn't require a Ready maneuver. You decide whether or not it's on at the start of your turn.
A true...

B102's "You can switch the aura on or off at the start of your turn" doesn't mention a Ready... not sure why I assumed that.

I guess maybe because it didn't mention a Free Action either?

P154 definitely clears that up though. I guess to make it cost a Ready to switch auras (or mind shields) on and off would require Takes Extra Time 1.

Chock another in the 'auras are amazing for their cost' column. I definitely don't think it would break the pricing to have them require a ready by default and to require something like Reduced Time enhancement to get it to be a free action like it currently operates...

Would you be able to switch 'free action' things on or off even when you are force to take Do Nothing due to a Stun?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura, extended duration