Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 12-28-2019, 05:40 PM   #1
EltonRobb

Default Best book for Kitsune

Hi everyone,

I don't post much here but I am researching the kitsune for a RPG world I'm generating. I got the basic nations down, have no map, and my partner wants to start with the kingdom of Azeria (Basque for Fox) to get their culture down and so forth.

I'm using Pathfinder first edition, but I can quickly write it for GURPS.

So, I am wondering which GURPS book should I download from e23, that will give a basic overview of the Kitsune? GURPS Japan is the first to come to mind, and I'm planning on getting GURPS Celtic Myth as well (I'm also changing the wood elves in my world to reflect a really barbaric culture -- the Picts).

Last edited by EltonRobb; 12-28-2019 at 05:48 PM.
EltonRobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Best book for Kitsune

Is there a reason you're starting with RPG books as references? I'd start with primary sources, which in this case would be Japanese folklore. Or not worry too much about it and go with something like wikipedia's page, since it's not like folklore is terribly consistent to start with. Or for that matter, since your setting isn't actually Japanese, look up Basque folklore on foxes (there might not actually be any you can find, but in general mythological foxes are tricksters).

Last edited by Anthony; 12-28-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
EltonRobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Is there a reason you're starting with RPG books as references? I'd start with primary sources, which in this case would be Japanese folklore. Or not worry too much about it and go with something like wikipedia's page, since it's not like folklore is terribly consistent to start with. Or for that matter, since your setting isn't actually Japanese, look up Basque folklore on foxes (there might not actually be any you can find, but in general mythological foxes are tricksters).
Someone once suggested that I read Reynard. So that's not far off.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:07 PM   #4
Varyon

A quick bit of Googling indicates GURPS Japan and GURPS Shapeshifters both have entries for kitsune; both are for Third Edition, and are available for digital download on Warehouse23 as part of GURPS Classic. If making them for GURPS 4e, you could probably get away with updating the templates from those earlier works. Don't forget to give them a Racial Quirk: Loves thin fried tofu.

On the topic of Celtic Myth, GURPS Faerie may be of some use to you; again, it's a Third Edition, GURPS Classic product. Looking at the Table of Contents in the preview, it does make some mention of faerie-equivalents in Japan (which may or may not include kitsune; if it does, it's going to be very brief - looks like Japan gets less than a page). I can't really speak to the usefulness of any of those, however - I didn't get into GURPS until 4e, and the only 3e book I have is GURPS Vehicles.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:36 PM   #5
Daigoro

You could try yokai.com for some good information and illustrations. The author also has some books on yokai on Amazon.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:03 PM   #6
EltonRobb

Perhaps I should share my new world with you, so you can get the proper context.