Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-26-2019, 09:40 PM   #1
Hyrneson

Default Melee/Wizard Errata

Is there any errata for Melee or Wizard?
Old 12-26-2019, 11:05 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Melee/Wizard Errata

I've spotted some items in the Wizard Spell Reference Booklet that have some ITL issues WRT a pure Melee/Wizard game, but I haven't seen anything official. I.e. do Melee/Wizard wizards have the Dagger talent or not?

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#GMscreen
Old 12-27-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
ParadoxGames

Besides appearing in Hexagram 3, Up-to-date Errata can be retrieved online from this URL:

https://thefantasytrip.game/resources/errata/
Old 12-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
hcobb

What is a "combat skill" and does this mean I can raise Zombie fencers or martial artists?

Also doesn't cover the bugs in the Wizard Spell Reference Booklet.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:49 PM   #5
ghostofjfd

It looks like the published errata resolves the apparent contradiction within ITL, but I'm not sure. To summarize:
from the errata (https://thefantasytrip.game/resources/errata/):
"30 – To clarify: It does not cost 1 ST to make a physical whack with the staff. The ST is spent when the staff's occult damage is to be done."

from ITL p. 18:
"Regardless of what the staff looks like – rod, wand, quarterstaff, etc. – it is an occult weapon that does one die of damage (front hexes only) when the wizard points with it. The wizard spends 1 ST and makes a regular die roll to hit. The staff does not have to touch its target in order to deliver its flare of magical energy."

from ITL p. 148:
"The wizard’s staff (detailed below) is the most common type of magic item. The wizard can strike with it to do magical damage without casting a spell himself or otherwise expending strength."

(BL1 brought up the two foregoing items in http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=43.)

Wizard (Pocket Box edition) p. 19:
"The only physical weapon a wizard carries in the game is his staff. Although a staff is magical, the damage it does is physical.
. . .
Regardless of what the staff looks like (rod, wand, quarterstaff, etc.), it does one die of damage when the wizard hits with it. Striking with the staff is treated just as though the wizard were a fighter using a one-die weapon. It costs no ST to strike with a staff."
My question is: In the ITL rules, does making that magical staff attack cost 1 ST? If so, that's a difference from the Wizard rules.
ghostofjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
hcobb

Note that Spell Shield guards against the occult zap of ITL, but not against the physical blow of the Staff in ITL or the Wizard game. (I.e. the Wizard game lacks the occult zap, but even wands strike 1d physical blows.)

If you apply weapon/armor enchantment to the staff this only boosts the physical blow, not the occult zap.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #7
DarkPumpkin

One of the best errata ever:
"147 – Elves' toenails cost $16/pound."
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:55 PM   #8
hcobb

A Melee giant can move 10 hexes on a MA of 10 that a Wizard giant would consider to be 12 hexes on a MA of 8.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:30 AM   #9
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
A Melee giant can move 10 hexes on a MA of 10 that a Wizard giant would consider to be 12 hexes on a MA of 8.
I don't understand what you are saying.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:38 AM   #10
hcobb

Melee Rulebook page 21 "His MA is 10 unless he is in armor; count the number of hexes his front moves."

So giant goes 10 hexes down a spiral staircase with his head hex on the inside of the curve. His rear hexes move through a total of 12 hexes.

Wizard Rulebook page 7 "The MA for a multi-hex figure is the maximum number of hexes any part of the figure may move in one turn"

Wizard Spell Reference Booklet page 5 "MA 8"
Wizard Spell Reference Booklet page 8 "MA 10"

I'm going with (for now): A giant's base MA is 8 (slow pace), but if she has the Running talent she gets MA 12 from her long legs. This is adjusted down for armor and load as usual.

Last edited by hcobb; 03-05-2020 at 02:20 PM.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote