Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 12-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #11
Fred Skin

Default Re: Painting minis

You can't go wrong with Games Workshop paints. They have base coat spray that doesn't need a primer. I am definitely a 'slop & go' painter so I usually use a black base coat & gunmetal or tin bits for guns
Fred Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #12
kbs666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Skin View Post
You can't go wrong with Games Workshop paints. They have base coat spray that doesn't need a primer. I am definitely a 'slop & go' painter so I usually use a black base coat & gunmetal or tin bits for guns
You'll pay a premium for those. If you're going to get mini paint I lean toward Army Builder you get more at a lower price. Plus they use dropper bottles which give you vine control for mixing colors.
kbs666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #13
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
It stands to reason that any paint designed for miniatures (and even most modeling) will be good.

From the KS comments, there was discussion of one example where a particular brand of miniatures had a chemical reaction with a common type of spray paint, and the plastic softened.

SJG is aware of that incident, and has posted to KS that they will avoid that particular trap.

As long as your base coat has “primer” it’s name, you will be fine!

What else are thinking about as far a painting the minis goes?
That was me who pointed it out! I plead the 5th with regards to how many of that company's figures I have in plastic and in metal, and am still an eager supporter thereof [pay no attention to the multiple tote boxes...or the open Pledge Manager...], but it was a nasty surprise to say the least to hit that formulation of plastic with spray primer and have the figure go permanently tacky. Thankfully the figure I ruined was cheap and plentiful (a little Kobold or something, as opposed to one of the $80+ statues), so it was near-effortless to replace.

My assumption is SJG'll use a formulation similar to what they did for Ogre Minis [assuming it doesn't make the price untenable, those figures were hollow and I don't think the CW6 minis can be because of the base-to-car interactions], which take to GW Primers [something else you'll pay a fortune for, but I love because it goes on SO THIN] well, but you'll want to keep them away from high-test rubbing alcohol. I was able to strip a set of Ogre Minis back to bare plastic fairly easily with rubbing alcohol and a little friction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
You'll pay a premium for those. If you're going to get mini paint I lean toward Army Builder you get more at a lower price. Plus they use dropper bottles which give you vine control for mixing colors.
I love my Army Painter stuff (though I got out of the habit of using their sprays...if you can master them they're phenomenal, but I never did find the sweet spot for 'go on thick enough to get good bite, thin enough to not cover details')...Reaper's color selection is IMO the best in the business, and Vallejo's attention to detail when it comes to reproducing camo colors is unmatched, but I'd rather have TAP over either; I like their tools, I like their brushes, I like their paints...so much so to being one of those buffoons who has the complete set of paint and is working on the same for tools/brushes.

Did you see they recently released a Wet Palette / Brush Case thing? I'm tempted to pick one up, but also tempted to wait for them to start selling sponge / parchment 'refills' for it. The set comes with 2 and 100, respectively.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #14
kbs666

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
I love my Army Painter stuff (though I got out of the habit of using their sprays...if you can master them they're phenomenal, but I never did find the sweet spot for 'go on thick enough to get good bite, thin enough to not cover details')...Reaper's color selection is IMO the best in the business, and Vallejo's attention to detail when it comes to reproducing camo colors is unmatched, but I'd rather have TAP over either; I like their tools, I like their brushes, I like their paints...so much so to being one of those buffoons who has the complete set of paint and is working on the same for tools/brushes.

Did you see they recently released a Wet Palette / Brush Case thing? I'm tempted to pick one up, but also tempted to wait for them to start selling sponge / parchment 'refills' for it. The set comes with 2 and 100, respectively.
I like the Vallejo's but I just like Army Painter better. Plus they're a one stop shop. Brushes, basing material, even scenery materials.

I've seen the palette and want it badly just not sure if I'll be painting enough to make it really worthwhile. I'm, cutting back on 40k and I have all the Btech I think I'll ever want.
kbs666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #15
Shadekeep

Great replies so far, thanks everyone! Once we know what the minis are made of then it should be possible to zero in on the best paints for the medium. Looking forward to it, it's been ages since I painted minis. The last ones I did were metal Ral Partha and Chaosium ones.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #16
Racer

Games Workshop paints can be fairly expensive but cheaper starter packs are available from time to time .

Got a bundle of 7 full sized paints & a varnish for about 50% off , around four years ago . Incredibly good value for basic colours - Black , White , Yellow , Red , Blue , Green & Gunmetal if I recall ?

Online offers , vouchers & downloadable vouchers have also been available .

GW Black undercoat spray is best I've found & large can lasts for ages .

Of course no idea what reactions these would have to 6th miniatures yet . Seem to recall a 'melting Spitfire' by Airfix from late 1980's when they changed the plastic's composition ?

Best to check all paint products on unimportant parts when you eventually get them to avoid nasty surprises .
Old 01-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #17
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
I shot the Ogre minis with a better brand spray paint from Walmart. The details are not covered over. It just takes a light touch.

I've used 99 cent walmart brand car primer (grey, rust, or black) to undercoat gw minis for years and had good results.
That’s very encouraging! I have a bit of problem with the light touch, but that could probably be solved by allowing myself a second coat, should I miss a spot or two.

What key words should I be looking for in the description on the paint can?
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:24 PM   #18
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
What key words should I be looking for in the description on the paint can?
If you buy walmart brand spray paint, look for the word Primer OR Flat. They usually have white, grey, rust (brownish), and black. All of these have worked well for me in the past. The color you choose will affect the final tone, for bright colors choose the grey or white, for dark colors the black. I use the rust for earth tones and for beater cars where the primer might show through on purpose in spots.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:40 AM   #19
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Agreed on everything stated here already. I use a combination of Wal-Mart/craft store paints and fancy paints from Reaper and Dwarven Forge.

We're already looking forward to painting a bunch of cars even though it's a year away.

We may start with some store-bought cars just to get a feel for car painting. We usually only do fantasy minis. So a modern/futuristic machine will be a change.

Last edited by MIB.6361; 01-03-2020 at 10:41 AM. Reason: paint
MIB.6361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:57 AM   #20
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
We usually only do fantasy minis. So a modern/futuristic machine will be a change.
So true. I've got 3 different styles of painting in my collection. Zenos in body armour and power armour paint much differently than rats in rags and rusty mail, and neither are as taxing to paint as medieval combat football (soccer in the us) humans.

I'm sure Car Wars cars will paint similarly to Ogre minis.

What I really want right now is a video of BEN painting one of the prototypes. I especially want to see his windscreen technique layed out clearly with a discussion of the colors he uses. I'm not going to be able to paint at his level, but I'm confident that I can get a good job on the other parts of the cars.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote