Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #1
admiraltee

Default Storming the Castle - Scenario Bk 2 - question.

Hi all,

I'm keen to host a large multiplayer game of OGRE using a scenario with specific victory conditions. I've got the KS version with all the extra forces released.

I like the look of Storming the Castle and I have a few questions for those that have planned or, or even designed it!

1- is there a reason why trucks/hover trucks aren't allowed? The standard unit rules state that GEVs are allowed and the variant force rules (which I will use) state that units with a Mv value of 2 are allowed.
Would trucks/hover trucks carrying troops with Mv of 1 "break" the game?

2- how long does it take per player? For e.g. I might have 4-6 players and I'm hoping it wouldn't last longer than a day to play casually, i.e. 4-6 hrs or so).

3- any advice or feedback from experience. Such as things to avoid, sticky rules conflicts, changes to the scenario?

Thanks in advance!

Al.
admiraltee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Storming the Castle - Scenario Bk 2 - question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiraltee View Post
1- is there a reason why trucks/hover trucks aren't allowed? The standard unit rules state that GEVs are allowed and the variant force rules (which I will use) state that units with a Mv value of 2 are allowed.
Would trucks/hover trucks carrying troops with Mv of 1 "break" the game?
Trucks are pointless (they can't drive in water) and are slower than INF unless they are on a road. Hovertrucks are a poor-man's GEV-PC that can carry two squads. I think it's more that they are excluded for thematic reasons than practical ones. For example, using a GEV-PC is _not_ excluded and would be a better choice than a Hovertruck because it can carry 3 squads.

The real issue is trucks and hovertrucks do not have an intrinsic point value, so it gets more complicated when throwing them into a point system that isn't explicitly defined by the scenario. It's easier to just exclude them and not have to design for them to be used.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
jfleisher

“Have fun storming the castle!”

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
admiraltee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Trucks are pointless (they can't drive in water) and are slower than INF unless they are on a road. Hovertrucks are a poor-man's GEV-PC that can carry two squads. I think it's more that they are excluded for thematic reasons than practical ones. For example, using a GEV-PC is _not_ excluded and would be a better choice than a Hovertruck because it can carry 3 squads.

The real issue is trucks and hovertrucks do not have an intrinsic point value, so it gets more complicated when throwing them into a point system that isn't explicitly defined by the scenario. It's easier to just exclude them and not have to design for them to be used.
Thanks Granite.
I think I'll run it as is, and might throw in an OGRE mark I-II as a choice option too.

I'm hoping it will be a fun game with 6 players. My real fear is that it will take several hours to finish and that might temper the enjoyment from playing it...
admiraltee is offline   Reply With Quote