Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-12-2015, 11:11 PM   #51
Woodman

Default Re: The GURPS Index

Quote:
Good! Is there other crunch in there to add?
The obvious discussion ob Advantages, Perks, Disadvantages, Skills and Techniques in the context of the book. Nothing new, so this will be a couple of "See Also:" entries in the corresponding lists I think.
I already got a couple of the entries in my notepad, but it was getting to late and I wanted to get the structure right before I start to paste them in.
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:09 AM   #52
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
Is there anything else you feel is missing from the list of Indices?
No. Meta-Traits are the major thing, the obvious thing that's problematic to find using the index in the core book. There have been numerous threads on here (and I think on the old Pyramid discussion boards too) about people confused about Meta-Traits found in templates or sometimes found elsewhere.

The only thing I can think of, that comes close in importance, is a comprehensive overview over Extra Effort options in combat, since I've had minor problems (minor, nor major) finding them in the core books via the index or ToC. The PDF by poster "Onkl" showing all combat options, including all EE options, is very good; maybe you should just link to that from the appropriate pages of your wiki, if you don't already.

Back to Meta-Traits, Personally, I think it was a mistake of SJ Games to not invent and utilize a distinctive notation for Meta-Traits (and another for Species Templates, although that's a bit less necessary, as Elf or Sirian as "advantages" are usually partially self-explanatory) to use, especially in Templates. Like curly brackets around a Meta-Trait. Or something else that makes them stand out.

Perhaps that's something the wiki project could try to promote? I know it's totally rogue, but it wouldn't actually do any harm. Rather it would do good, and it might in the longer term pressure SJ Games into adopting the same layout measure.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:12 AM   #53
Peter Knutsen
Banned

This page
http://gurpswiki.wikidot.com/ind:occ...lates-by-genre

Seems to only index the Background Lenses added in supplementary Action products. I think it should list the Background Lenses in the core Action vol. 1 PDF too. Also there was a very good Pyramid issue focusing on Action; I don't remember if it offered any Background Lenses, but if it does then those ought to be indexed too.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:44 AM   #54
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

I've made a start on adding some gear, but I'm unsure of how to group similar items: at the moment I've put hammers under one heading, crowbars under another, etc. but different looms, stone-knapping punches and toolkits are all separate entries and all the random little items like alembics are separate, which means the final list is likely to be rather crowded.

Can anyone advise on how to make the final page actually useful before I spend a lot of time on it?

EDIT: I also have no idea how to organise the various options for bags, pouches, sacks, boxes, containers, load-bearing gear, etc.

Last edited by Sam Baughn; 10-13-2015 at 04:26 AM.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:51 AM   #55
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
Can anyone advise on how to make the final page actually useful before I spend a lot of time on it?
Use various subheadings (that's starting your line off with a plus sign, with more signs making a smaller heading signifying deeper in an outline) for this is my guess. The more stuff is in it, the more we'll have to change the organization to fit. Eventually, we might have to split each TL into its own page, but the current organization will work for now.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:54 AM   #56
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Seems to only index the Background Lenses added in supplementary Action products. I think it should list the Background Lenses in the core Action vol. 1 PDF too. Also there was a very good Pyramid issue focusing on Action; I don't remember if it offered any Background Lenses, but if it does then those ought to be indexed too.
As I wrote above, I'm working on the Pyramids I have, then my DF stuff, then the first two Action PDFs (as I don't have the other two) before going off the release threads. If you want to speed this up, you could add them.

My GURPS blog.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #57
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
As I wrote above, I'm working on the Pyramids I have, then my DF stuff, then the first two Action PDFs (as I don't have the other two) before going off the release threads. If you want to speed this up, you could add them.
I added the templates and lenses from Action 1 & 3. I don't think the ones from Action 4 really suit the format, since they aren't exactly templates or lenses, but more like a collection of building blocks to make a template.

EDIT: which issues of Pyramid don't you have, Rasputin? I might be able to fill in some gaps.

I've added the vehicles from Low-Tech which have vehicle table entries. Not sure what to do about the 'personal conveyances' like surfboards and skis; are they gear or vehicles?

With regards to the gear, I think I'm going to try and add pretty much everything and then see if it can be cut down or re-arranged better. I'll start with the Basic Set and then move on to Low-Tech.

Last edited by Sam Baughn; 10-13-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:15 AM   #58
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
EDIT: which issues of Pyramid don't you have, Rasputin? I might be able to fill in some gaps.
Basically, I've entered the ones I have, other than 70 (4th Edition Festival) and 68 (Natural Magic, which Juergen already did). Most of them are listed in the work done. I have about half of the Pyramids; most of my gaps come from the era from about issues 7-32 when Pyramid was still finding its way and didn't put out much that interested me.

If we add more crunchy bits (learned prayers, sorcery spells, RPM spells, Path/Book spells, elixirs, power-ups, imbuements), we'll want to go back over Pyramid issues and add them, since folks. Personally, I think we can hold off a bit on these things; I have many crunchy supplements (Infinite Worlds, Traveller Interstellar Wars, Tactical Shooting, Zombies, Transhuman Space: Changing Times) that I haven't touched (except some of Tactical Shooting), and I'm sure everyone else has others, as well as many not-so-crunchy ones. But it's weird to look back over the last 11 years and realize how many subsystems have been added to GURPS 4e.

My GURPS blog.

Last edited by Rasputin; 10-13-2015 at 09:16 AM. Reason: And where to find them
Old 10-13-2015, 11:40 AM   #59
Woodman

Yrth Fighting Styles should be complete now
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #60
Jürgen Hubert

I think spells and magical styles are complete now.

What I want to tackle next are creatures, especially the weirder ones.

Oh, and have there been enough published diseases that they would warrant their own index? That's relevant to my current interests as well...