Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2016, 09:16 AM   #11
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Banestorm Navies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Zombie-powered galleys are likely to have manoeuverability issues and burn through living crew like flies, and of course none of the major religions approves. I think that rowing is an IQ skill, and zombies have IQ-2 and Cannot Learn.
Crewman (Oarsman) is in Low-Tech and is IQ/Easy, with a default at -2 to Seamanship, both ways.

If your zombies do have Cannot Learn (Zombies reckons it is not mandatory) then you have to run the ship like a slave-galley, with several rowers per oar, one of whom does need skill, and thus has to be alive. Sounds like a load of no fun.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #12
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Crewman (Oarsman) is in Low-Tech and is IQ/Easy, with a default at -2 to Seamanship, both ways.

If your zombies do have Cannot Learn (Zombies reckons it is not mandatory) then you have to run the ship like a slave-galley, with several rowers per oar, one of whom does need skill, and thus has to be alive. Sounds like a load of no fun.
If a necromancer can command a group of zombies to "kill the intruders" without personally directing every bite and claw, she ought to be able to command "row this galley", at least until it comes time to turn.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
If a necromancer can command a group of zombies to "kill the intruders" without personally directing every bite and claw, she ought to be able to command "row this galley", at least until it comes time to turn.
Of course, if anyone ever had the motivation to figure out a spell that makes zombies that know how row from creation, it would be Abydos. They're an island that practices necromancy with hostile neighbors and their own private inland sea (ideal for galleys)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Just cast Zombie on former oarsmen.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #15
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Sure! But if you give a single command to 100 zombies of the kind which cost 8 FP each, pulled from paupers' graves and back alleys, I would rule that they act forcefully but un-coordinatedly and keep mashing oars and bumping into one another. Rowing a large ship is a skill which requires coordination, especially in bigger and multi-decked galleys, and clumsy zombies are a trope. Rowers are skilled and organized workers, so if you want to reanimate a bunch of fresh dead oarsmen, that sounds like an adventure.

I think that many weather spells are normal Area spells, so once cast the area of effect does not move with the caster.

I agree that a handful of magic items with low-prerequisite spells are easier to make fit than giving every coaster a versatile mage. And important ships loaded with expensive men-at-arms and crossbowmen can probably spring for a skilled mage and a dozen powerstones.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 10-25-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #16
Fred Brackin

Quote:
I think that many weather spells are normal Area spells, so once cast the area of effect does not move with the caster.
Things like Wind have bery large Areas and can be "fixed" to a ship. The casting is going to fully occupy the FP recovery of the average Mage but the casting isn't the stumbling block. It's the supply of Mages. Even the IQ 12/Magery 1 kind.

If a Skip's Captain wants a IQ14/Magery 3 guy at his beck and call It's not going to be very likely.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Rowers are skilled and organized workers, so if you want to reanimate a bunch of fresh dead oarsmen, that sounds like an adventure.
I have no idea why Abydos' navy wouldn't make arrangements to ensure that this just happened. Every other part of that society seems to get access to skilled undead labor. I suppose bureaucracy is sometimes a kind of "adventure".

In a (non-Yrth) game once, the party needed to steal a ship from a dock, and they assigned the wizard (unaware of just how specialized he was) to recruit a crew. So he ended up finding a shipwreck and casting Mass Zombie. The other characters were worried when he showed up without sailors, but he assured them that the sailors would be there when needed. As they were raiding the ship from shore the skeletons rose up from the bay and boarded the ship from the other side.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #18
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Things like Wind have bery large Areas and can be "fixed" to a ship.
Can they be? As far as I know, areas of effect only move if the underlying surface moves. So you can have a Pentagram rug in your cabin (and keep demons in it as the ship sails along), but not create a Force Dome which encloses your ship and moves with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I have no idea why Abydos' navy wouldn't make arrangements to ensure that this just happened. Every other part of that society seems to get access to skilled undead labor. I suppose bureaucracy is sometimes a kind of "adventure".
As my comments about major religions suggest, I am not talking about Abydos, but about normal practice in the setting. The OP had a very "technomagic" vision which doesn't fit my reading of the setting or my practice as GM. I can't imagine introducing GURPS (4e) Magic in a game because the spells have too many balance/setting/style issues and I no longer have time to fix them, but there are ways to crack down on many of the OP's ideas.

Everything about Abydos is supposed to be weird and disturbing, and their navy should be one of those things.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #19
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Can they be? As far as I know, areas of effect only move if the underlying surface moves. So you can have a Pentagram rug in your cabin (and keep demons in it as the ship sails along), but not create a Force Dome which encloses your ship and moves with it.
The wind spell is specifically provided for in the description as being able to be cast on a sailing ship, with comments in the description about needing to encompass the entire ship to get the correct effect. Actually, that caveat is attached to a LOT of weather spells useful in guiding a ship, and they all have items as well.

Of course, the items mostly 300 energy each, so they cost roughly $10,000 each. A little high, but stick it on a big enough boat, and its totally worth it. Its better than paying a skill 12 mage $700 a month!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #20
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The wind spell is specifically provided for in the description as being able to be cast on a sailing ship, with comments in the description about needing to encompass the entire ship to get the correct effect. Actually, that caveat is attached to a LOT of weather spells useful in guiding a ship, and they all have items as well.

Of course, the items mostly 300 energy each, so they cost roughly $10,000 each. A little high, but stick it on a big enough boat, and its totally worth it. Its better than paying a skill 12 mage $700 a month!
<applauds> I'm always happy when other people actually read the book. :)

Providing the FP to power such a device is going to be a full-time job for somebody but the job requirements are less intensive.

If anyone wonders the "Can be used on a ship" Spells are Waves, Current, Tides and Wind. If used all together your ship will probably look like it's riding a cartoon-style "tidal wave"?.

Tags
banestorm, yrth