Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 11-30-2006, 01:38 PM   #51
Kitsune

Default Re: John Sanchez a regular guy in 5th wave THS -- his life

Nelson C. wrote:
Quote:
If my self is my mind and my mind's structure reflects my brain's structure, then changing the structure of my brain -- e.g. by running my ghost on higher complexity hardware, adding senses, abilities, limbs or even restructuring me into multiple consciousnesses -- will affect my identity.This is an interesting idea all by itself, and it's worth investigating how it works just so I can imagine what it would be like being part of a group mind. Do I like myself enough to even get on with my other selves?
It would affect your identity. So much is certain I'd say. But how would it feel like? I don't think we can imagine that. (But if I find out one day, I promise to post my experience here on this site. :P) In any case, one shouldn't have a problem with getting along with the other copies - the constant merging means that they don't deviate from each other like independent xoxes. Its possible that it is just like being you but somehow experiencing the ability to be able to concentrate on different things at once. I suspect that it could be somewhat addictive: an infomorph used to be a part of a multimind and reduced to sudden single state might feel totally crippled.

As far as the increased resistance against infowar techniques is concerned, I agree that the continous data sharing is a reason why all minds could end up as affected. But still it would be an improvement: every compartment mind could have its own "firewall" with a chance to prevent an intrusion or infection. And, if such a thing is noticed, the affected compartment can be instantly frozen with all data sharing with it being stopped. It then can be deleted and replaced with a copy of an unaffected compartment mind - which contains the same information minus the thought processes of a fracture of a second and, hopefully, minus any virus or unauthorized data change. In other words: the multimind can simply shake the problem off. Certainly this wouldn't guarantee that an infomorph cannot be compromised, the intrusion might spread to all compartments before being noticed or may never be noticed in the first place. But it should be an improvement over the singlemind state.

fnordianslip wrote:
Quote:
The big problem with going this route is that, while running ten copies of yourself at the same time would be great, you'd be better off in terms of efficiancy to run 1000 NAIs at lower complexity as assistants.
That depends. If there are various tasks to be done which all need a certain level of creativity NAIs just won't do. And then there is this old saying that if you want something done properly, you've got to do it yourself. :P
Besides, this isn't a question of an exclusive [i]or[/]. You can do both at the same time. You just hand over especially boring tasks to slave NAIs - that doesn't mean they have to run on the same cybershell as your infomorph.

fnordianslip wrote:
Quote:
One of my THS characters actually had several shadows of herself running on an implant comp. This way she always had assistants who knew her, understood her, and had the same goals. As a side bonus, it was linked to a puppet implant so she could be up and running 24/7. Her shadows would just fill her in on the details of her activities during sleep.
Hmmm...I really have to get something like this for myself. Should be very convenient.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:39 AM   #52
malek77

Default Re: John Sanchez a regular guy in 5th wave THS -- his life

Quote:
every compartment mind could have its own "firewall" with a chance to prevent an intrusion or infection. And, if such a thing is noticed, the affected compartment can be instantly frozen with all data sharing with it being stopped. It then can be deleted and replaced with a copy of an unaffected compartment mind

>Load c:\My documents\My Eidolons\Self_V5.mfl
>Run "Self_V5" Mind File
>Talk: Hi.
>"Hi, Me3, how are you?"
>Talk: Good. I need you to check this file out. It looks corrupt.
>"Ok."
>.......................................93%
>"Yaargghhh! It's got a virus"
>Are you sure you want to Delete Self_V5...y/n?
>"Wait! WAIT! DON'T DELETE ME NOOOOOO...I'll get it I'll delete it promise! I'll...arrrrrrrrrghghhhhEEEEEEEE..."

...maybe not. I'll stick to letting Norton's non-sentient unfeeling NAI anti-viral system check out scary stuff...

If I could make low res emulations of myself, I'd be loading them into cool roboShell toys and probably never merge or delete them and let them develop on their own. I'd probably have a time sharing arrangement, we all do one day's work a week, all pretending you're 'Me_V1', whilst the rest of us play compter games or practice Kung Fu or something.

...the future looks better all the time, doesn't it... :D
malek77 is offline   Reply With Quote