Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Nerun
Banned

Default Portuguese Translation

Could someone remove the word "soon" of the GURPS home page and replace with "someday (maybe)"? The "soon" is more than 4 years... lol

"Portuguese – Devir Livraria, in Brazil, is our oldest licensor, and their translation of the Basic Set will appear soon."
Nerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
Artifex

Default Re: Portuguese Translation

Ooo-k!

Here we go again!

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=44662
Artifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
Gudiomen

Actually, I decided to take Kromm's advice last time this topic was up... (was it the last time?)

I have a friend who's currently translating the Wheel of Time series to brazilian portuguese, I mentioned if he wouldn't be interested in taking a shot at GURPS Basic (both volumes) and it peaked his interest. The dream is to translate it and sell it to Devir (the translation). However, this is in a galaxy far far away, a long time in the future. He has his hands full right now.

Besides, there are other considerations: unlike a novel, translating a rule-book is an extremely intricate process. 4e was built even more precise than previous editions, many times we argue about rules and Kromm comes out and says "look, we wrote the rule exactly like this because we mean it exactly like this", there's even rules in the grammar. It's an intimidating book to translate, and I bet tons of people said "I'll do it" and gave up before they even made significant progress.

And the ability of Devir to sell GURPS in Brazil will affect how much they'll pay the tranlator. BASIC is huge, and worth very decent ammount of money if they pay like they should. Since they're working with freelancers (no hired translators, at least that I know of, specially working on GURPS), it's a matter of economics too.

It also takes a very long time to translate, and since you don't get payed in advance, you need to have the willpower and finantialy security to work on something for a year which is giving you no income. Most freelancers can make more money and in a more steady pace with smaller books and articles.

To top it of, there's the danger that you spend a whole year working, then some guy was doing the translation too and sells it to Devir a week before you finish yours, that's a lot of work down the drain.

And with each passing year more and more people learn english and just buy the american edition from e23. Our regular group includes 5 people, only one doesn't know enough english to play with the english books easely (and he can manage to some extent). Sorry guys, I don't see this happening anytime soon.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Perssek

I have to agree with Gudiomen - making books in Brasil isnīt a very profitable business, let alone RPG books. And, given the effort needed to make a single book to be translated in a way that wonīt create confusion and allow clerical errors to be carried on along the other supplements in the line (as happens with GURPS books, that depend upon each other), it has to be VERY well-done.

My only problem with Devir is that they kept saying "next year, next year", and it never came. If they only said "we just started working on it, but it takes at least an year before the translation is ready", most of the rabid fanboys would be quiet now.

No, really, I understand the guys need to make money (itīs not like theyīre rich), that they love what they do, and that they would really, really, like to make 4th ed. happen in Brasil, but I would be happier if they didnīt spread false hope (as it was in the beggining).

Having said that, let me put my grudge where it is: calling Mr. Punch to Brasil (yeah, I know, all expenses paid, thatīs great, Devir is famous by the way they take care of their visitors) and not having Brazilian 4th ed. ready as it was made public.

I hope they can solve this problem someday in the future - I know itīs a big one, because of the logistics of translation (as was very well said by Gudiomen and many others in previous, similar threads), but I have a feeling thatīs not in the foresseable future, unfortunately.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Mateus

Come on... Forget about Devir! Read in english, it's cheaper and has less errors (I have sure about it).
Mateus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:00 AM   #6
NorphTehDwarf

I followed this debate a while ago, and have a question related but not important enough for its own thread. Apparently there's a decent GURPS following in Brazil, but what about Portugal?
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:39 AM   #7
hackbarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen
Actually, I decided to take Kromm's advice last time this topic was up... (was it the last time?)

I have a friend who's currently translating the Wheel of Time series to brazilian portuguese, I mentioned if he wouldn't be interested in taking a shot at GURPS Basic (both volumes) and it peaked his interest. The dream is to translate it and sell it to Devir (the translation).
Things don't work that way. I don't think Devir could even buy a full GURPS translation if you showed up on their door tomorrow with the complete work.

They are as much as professionals as SJGames, and someone showing up with a full year of work and saying 'Hey, look at what I did!' isn't so professional. Just look at what are the SJGames submission guidelines for new authors and expect the process to be somewhat the same for Devir.

I think they couldn't even accept for free this kind of work for a multitude of reasons, including: no editor overseeing the project, no quality control, no resources previously allocated to print the book, contract obligations with SJGames, with other translators, lack of standards that the translators should be following, and lack of demand among many others.

I would love to have the 4e books in portuguese, it is kind of a downer when I distribute half a dozen free copies of GURPS Lite at a con and the players ask me where they can get more GURPS, where are the Magic rules, there is a setting? But this is the way to get a portuguese 4th edition here, creating demand.

(Also I predict that this thread will be closed, as where all threads about a Portuguese Translation of GURPS 4e.)