Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
DataPacRat

Default Self-Control Rolls for Odious Personal Habits?

I'm probably just missing a page number.

I'm thinking of an OPH based around a PC's belief "The truth is more important than being popular", probably for an average of -2 reaction penalty when it kicks in - but I want him to be able to roll to try to control himself, ala Compulsions and similar mental disadvantages. I can't seem to find the right combination of reaction penalty and cost-modifier: Reputation applies more to people who already know him than random strangers he might converse with, I can't find a decent 'self-control roll' Limitation, etc. Any suggestions?
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Self-Control Rolls for Odious Personal Habits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataPacRat View Post
I'm probably just missing a page number.

I'm thinking of an OPH based around a PC's belief "The truth is more important than being popular", probably for an average of -2 reaction penalty when it kicks in - but I want him to be able to roll to try to control himself, ala Compulsions and similar mental disadvantages. I can't seem to find the right combination of reaction penalty and cost-modifier: Reputation applies more to people who already know him than random strangers he might converse with, I can't find a decent 'self-control roll' Limitation, etc. Any suggestions?
The "self control" roll for a OPH like that is Acting. Because without Acting even if you aren't openly speaking about your contempt for others, they're going to be able to see it on your face.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Alternately you could always just apply Self-Control Ratings to the disad. I don't see how it would break anything.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
DataPacRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Alternately you could always just apply Self-Control Ratings to the disad. I don't see how it would break anything.
I'd have gone for that, but going from '-2 reaction: 10 points' to '-2 reaction: except on a self-control roll of 12 or less (x1 cost): 10 points' doesn't quite seem to make sense.
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I think it'd be fine too. Assuming you price the full value at the All The Time level (x 2.5 or so). (Edit: that is the base value, for the 12 or less SCR, is -2 points per -1 reaction).

Despite what the Basic description seems to say with the "people who notice" thing, the reaction penalty for an Odious Habit is priced for affects everybody all the time (-5 per -1 penalty). It doesn't appear to matter if you happen to be displaying the habit right now. I suppose people are assumed to have heard about your disgusting habit and react negatively even if you aren't actually eating a baby right now. Which frankly I think makes sense.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Edit: Removed, because I was ninja-ed by one of those I was trying to paraphrase.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 08-04-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I suppose people are assumed to have heard about your disgusting habit and react negatively even if you aren't actually eating a baby right now.
Or it averages out, since reaction rolls are reasonably random -- some people have heard of your nasty habit and react at -4, some haven't and react at no penalty, some people encounter you in the process of eating a baby and react at -10.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Self-control number probably isn't appropriate because the problem of an OPH isn't that actually you acting on it, it's other people reacting to it.

Not displaying your OPH in the moment isn't going to do you any good unless the people you're interacting with don't know it's there.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

I don't know. A relative that always makes racist comments is a bit easier to deal with if for this one dinner they keep their mouth shut. You know they're racist, but your negative reaction is reduced by their control, I'd think.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I don't know. A relative that always makes racist comments is a bit easier to deal with if for this one dinner they keep their mouth shut. You know they're racist, but your negative reaction is reduced by their control, I'd think.
It's generally simpler to reduce the reaction penalty.

Tags
odious personal habit, self-control number