Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-11-2016, 09:41 AM   #1
GodBeastX

Default Submissive Disadvantage?

I have a character that needs to easily give in when a higher caste/status/charismatic/etc person pushes their weight around on them or gives them direction. What would this be?
Old 10-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
McAllister

Default Re: Submissive Disadvantage?

Compulsive Obedience? At least that sounds a little less kinky.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
Bruno

The extreme version is Slave Mentality, where you let everybody push you around and give you orders. You could do worse than starting with a limitation on Slave Mentality.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
Wavefunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
I have a character that needs to easily give in when a higher caste/status/charismatic/etc person pushes their weight around on them or gives them direction. What would this be?
Well this would seem to just be low Will, but if you want a low Will specifically for resisting influence then that's slightly different.

Indomitable is effectively Immunity to Influence for 15 points, comparing that with Magic Resistance which is 2 points/level, and Immunity to Magic which is 30 points, so a trait that gives +1 per level to rolls should cost 1/15th the price of Immunity. Influence Resistance should therefore cost 1 point/level, and I'd say Easy to Influence should probably be worth -1 points/level.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #5
VariousRen

Slave Mentality with an accessibility modifier "Only to people with more status (or wealth, or whatever)." Powers has a chart that pairs accessibility to a percentage chance it applies, so you just need to know the ratio of various status levels.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
GodBeastX

Slave Mentality is what I'm looking for but it's a bit potent. But that's the basis. Let me see if I can toy with it.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #7
whswhs

Take a look at the Power-Ups volume for quirks. There's one near the beginning that amounts to a limited version of a quirk that applies under specific conditions and perhaps with lessened effects. Let's see: Extremely Limited Disadvantage, pp. 10-11. Such a version of Slave Mentality might suit.

Or you might define it as a version of Selfless. Normally Selfless requires a self-control roll to put your needs ahead of another person; what if you need a self-control roll only when the other person is higher Status? Of course you'd have to define the self-control number, but for a quirk version I'd probably make it 12 or less, with the usual proviso that trying to make self-control rolls without grave necessity is bad roleplaying and discouraged.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #8
McAllister

I'll weigh in against Slave Mentality. Slave Mentality isn't just the obligation to follow commands, it is also the inability to initiate action without being ordered to do so.

"You must
make an IQ roll at -8 before you can
take any action that isn’t either obeying
a direct order or part of an established
routine."

This doesn't sound like what you want at all, and I don't think you can modify it to fit. "Slave Mentality, except you can do whatever you want, except when someone of high Status gives you an order" is going to be hard to express in modifiers, right? And you autofail Will rolls to resist influence. Modifiers are also bad at making something become infinite, or stop being infinite, including penalties to rolls.

With Compulsive Obedience, you could adjust the self-control roll based on the perceived Status/Charisma/whatever of the person pressuring the character, which is great, because then your Compulsively Obedient character can have whatever Will score you want without getting the ability to say no to people. It's ultimately up to you, but I think you'll find this a better fit.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:26 AM   #9
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Maybe Vow, Duty, Sense of Duty, Code of Honor, or Compulsive Behavior related to adherence to the caste order?
Old 10-11-2016, 11:18 AM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
Well this would seem to just be low Will, but if you want a low Will specifically for resisting influence then that's slightly different.

Indomitable is effectively Immunity to Influence for 15 points, comparing that with Magic Resistance which is 2 points/level, and Immunity to Magic which is 30 points, so a trait that gives +1 per level to rolls should cost 1/15th the price of Immunity. Influence Resistance should therefore cost 1 point/level, and I'd say Easy to Influence should probably be worth -1 points/level.
This is the suggestion I like the best.
Its simple and avoid the issues with a Slave Mentality build others brought up.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom, disadvantages