Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-11-2022, 09:29 AM   #1
geppo_68

Default DR and corrosion

To me is not really clear what are the cases of a corrosive attack in which:

1. DR protects normally
2. DR protects at 1/5 value
3. DR does not protect

Linked to this I have another doubt.
Whenever a corrosion attack touches the armor, its DR is reduced by 1 for every 5 points of damage inflicted.

Does it work also on a cumulative damage?
example:
round 1 - 3 damage; NO DR reduction
round 2 - 4 damage; -1 DR reduction
??

Thanks!
Giuseppe

Last edited by geppo_68; 11-11-2022 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added question
geppo_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:58 PM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: DR and corrosion

I follow the rules on Exploits, p. 53 unless a more specific rule supersedes it. Against a typical targetted corrosive attack, DR protects normally. For every 5 hp of cumulative damage, lower the DR by 1. (The cumulative aspect isn't spelled out in Exploits, but it is mentioned in multiple entries in Monsters.) Note that I personally wouldn't expect anyone to track the accumulation beyond a single encounter. So, if you don't lose any DR, then your armor is fine for the next encounter. That's about bookkeeping rather than realism, but I figure people can perform minor upkeep between encounters.

For large area injury, such as being immersed in acid, I follow the large area injury rules, taking the average of Torso DR and the least protected area, rounding up.

Occasionally, as with an alkahest grenade (Adventurers, p. 116), DR might not protect at all.

I can't think of a situation where DR protects at 1/5. Do you have a page reference for that?
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 01:18 PM   #3
benz72

If you want to add a little skill utility into the system use Armory (body armor) as a First Aid skill on damaged armor and shields at the end of a fight to see if you can repair the affected bits.
Old 11-11-2022, 01:47 PM   #4
geppo_68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I follow the rules on Exploits, p. 53 unless a more specific rule supersedes it. Against a typical targetted corrosive attack, DR protects normally. For every 5 hp of cumulative damage, lower the DR by 1. (The cumulative aspect isn't spelled out in Exploits, but it is mentioned in multiple entries in Monsters.) Note that I personally wouldn't expect anyone to track the accumulation beyond a single encounter. So, if you don't lose any DR, then your armor is fine for the next encounter. That's about bookkeeping rather than realism, but I figure people can perform minor upkeep between encounters.

For large area injury, such as being immersed in acid, I follow the large area injury rules, taking the average of Torso DR and the least protected area, rounding up.

Occasionally, as with an alkahest grenade (Adventurers, p. 116), DR might not protect at all.

I can't think of a situation where DR protects at 1/5. Do you have a page reference for that?
sure pag 44 of Exploits, under Grenades
geppo_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 03:33 AM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by geppo_68 View Post
Linked to this I have another doubt.
Whenever a corrosion attack touches the armor, its DR is reduced by 1 for every 5 points of damage inflicted.

Does it work also on a cumulative damage?
example:
round 1 - 3 damage; NO DR reduction
round 2 - 4 damage; -1 DR
Yes, corrosion of armor is based on cumulative damage. This is how 1d-3 corrosion effects are at all meaningful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geppo_68 View Post
sure pag 44 of Exploits, under Grenades
This applies to damaging liquids and contact poison that can seap into clothing. Alchemist Fire, Adventurers p.115 for example. Acid Grenades (previous page) specify "armor protects normally".

Corrosion is almost always (probably always in every published example) going to hit full DR.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion, corrosive