Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2022, 01:02 PM   #1
Dr. Beckenstein

Default Games that should NEVER Be done in Gurps

Yes, you can do everything in Gurps, but just because you can does not mean you should.

So, what should never see the light of the gaming table?
Old 07-13-2022, 01:16 PM   #2
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Games that should NEVER Be done in Gurps

GURPS Monopoly, Sorry or any other number of Milton Bradley and Parker Brothers games.

I would think that a GURPS Stop Thief! game might be fun. And Mysteries is pretty much a variation of GURPS Cluedo.

And, then there's the old joke:
GURPS Rifts D20.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:49 PM   #3
SilvercatMoonpaw

Exalted: This has always sounded to me like something that needs a high-powered system. And from the snippets I've seen of superhero builds, GURPS chugs at high power.

Teenagers from Outer Space: I feel like any system used for this game has to allow for big handwaves to accommodate the absurdity. GURPS doesn't feel that way to me.

Multiple things covered under the Cartoon Action Hour label: The cartoons this covers aren't all out of the range of GURPS, but, again, I think a certain amount of hand-waving or high power is necessary in multiple cases.
Old 07-13-2022, 02:00 PM   #4
Varyon

Honestly, I think most games - aside from those that lack any sort of narrative and are just a game of chance and/or player skill (GURPS Poker wouldn't work, but a GURPS campaign focusing on a poker tournament could) - would probably work alright in GURPS, so long as you're not expecting it to play the same, be balanced the same, etc (there are plenty of games where you can get abilities that are relatively minor in the game but would be pretty huge deals outside of the constraints of it). Perhaps games where there's a central mechanic that would be hard to handle in GURPS? Something like Braid would be tough to GM, what with the ability to rewind time (and some things being unaffected by it) being central to a good deal of what you do.
Old 07-13-2022, 02:01 PM   #5
Pursuivant

GURPS Russian Roulette.

More seriously:

Any conversion of a RPG designed to be fast-moving and very simple, like Toon.

Any game involving players who are seriously math-phobic. (Long division and square roots, on a calculator! The horror!)

Detailed conversions of sporting contests. (Better abstracted to the level of Mass Combat or Sport Combat, with dice rolls that just cover critical points in the contest.)

Detailed conversions of gambling or board games. (Just play the game instead of GURPS if you're not going to abstract it to QC or CoS of Gambling or Games skills).
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:10 PM   #6
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
...so long as you're not expecting it to play the same, be balanced the same, etc...
It can be argued that you're not really playing the game in question at that point, if you can't do the things normally possible in the game.
Old 07-13-2022, 02:53 PM   #7
Shostak

GURPS: Advanced Squad Leader
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:43 PM   #8
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
It can be argued that you're not really playing the game in question at that point, if you can't do the things normally possible in the game.
Well, the thing is, "playing a game in GURPS" would mean more playing in the setting of the game. Left4Dead is a party FPS where you play as 4 specific but mechanically identical characters who later come back to life trapped in specific areas if they happen to die, provided at least one person from the party survives, if you are incapacitated you stay conscious until you are fully beaten to death, and many things (grappled by a Smoker, pinned by a Hunter, etc) are impossible to escape from without help from an ally. But a GURPS Left4Dead game would be a tabletop turn-based RPG where you could make your own custom characters (with marked differences between them), could have a party larger than 4, could have weapons that aren't in the game (even with mods), could potentially beat a Hunter in a grappling contest, etc. Does the fact things work differently mean you are "no longer playing Left4Dead?" If that's the case, then you are literally incapable of playing any game in GURPS.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:48 PM   #9
KarlKost

Quote:
Exalted: This has always sounded to me like something that needs a high-powered system. And from the snippets I've seen of superhero builds, GURPS chugs at high power.
Scion too.
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:29 PM   #10
AOTA

Quote:
Teenagers from Outer Space: I feel like any system used for this game has to allow for big handwaves to accommodate the absurdity. GURPS doesn't feel that way to me.
GURPS Illuminati University pretty much covers that. I've run games of it for years. My players have never had a problem with me handwaving anything.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptions, meta