Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 11-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #11
Omegonthesane

Default Re: Hiding a demonic resonance bounce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
The most reasonable "something" in the experience of the average Habbalite is that a Lilim used Celestial Charm on him to get a better chance of seeing his Needs. That often induces random failures in his resonance (i.e. lowers his Will), after all.

Angelic action would be a second thought - and possibly a distant second thought.
Given that a victim of Corporeal Charm would be very likely to notice their reduced Strength or Agility, while a victim of Ethereal Charm would quickly notice their reduced Precision and arguably their reduced Intelligence (I don't feel so good right now, my brain is mush...) it seems odd to assume that the Habbalite in question wouldn't have any sense that their Will had been drained.

If nothing else, there's a nonzero chance that they passed the Perception roll at +2 to hear the Disturbance caused by casting Celestial Charm.
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #12
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegonthesane View Post
Given that a victim of Corporeal Charm would be very likely to notice their reduced Strength or Agility, while a victim of Ethereal Charm would quickly notice their reduced Precision and arguably their reduced Intelligence (I don't feel so good right now, my brain is mush...) it seems odd to assume that the Habbalite in question wouldn't have any sense that their Will had been drained.

If nothing else, there's a nonzero chance that they passed the Perception roll at +2 to hear the Disturbance caused by casting Celestial Charm.

It's more likely someone would notice a drop in one Corporeal stat but not the other - which one depends on what the person does all day. Likewise (and going by the effects of alcohol consumption), it's more likely someone would notice a drop in Precision ("I'm making silly mistakes today") than a drop in Intelligence ("Wha...? No, I'm as smart as always!"). It's the same with Perception ("I'm missing obvious clues today") and Will ("I'm just as determined as always, but...")

And there's also a nonzero chance they missed detecting the Disturbance - especially since demons tend to max out their Will instead of their Perception.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #13
naraht

OK, what happens when this 12 will Habbalite tries to resonate Marc or Janus? Just another bounce?
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #14
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
OK, what happens when this 12 will Habbalite tries to resonate Marc or Janus? Just another bounce?
I thought there were rules for that in the Game Master's Guide.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #15
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

I'd say that any demon who tries to resonate an Archangel is going to be having a pretty bad day fairly soon, so the exact effect is not necessarily going to matter. O;>

If it does matter, though? Well, if just bouncing the resonance back isn't a useful result for some reason, then -- Archangels being what they are -- they might allow the resonance to take effect... on that little instantiation they spun out into a spot in their Cathedral where they can pout, cry, or kick the walls for a while. Unfair? Yeah, well, if life were fair for demons, then they'd all be livin' it up in Heaven still. So sad.

Meanwhile, the instantiation of the AA that is near the demon can Emote if desired, appear unaffected, or whatever suits the Superior's plans.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #16
alexondria

Isn't there something in the books about arch angels not being able to be resonated on? Something about Dominic not being able to resonate Micheal because of it? I don't have my book in front of me so I can't be more precise than that I'm afraid.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #17
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Superior Ineffability, discussed in the GMG. Basically, unless a Superior lets it happen, you can't get off a resonance on them. With Superior Vs. Superior resonances, you might be able to get a little, but most of the time that's not entirely useful. (Michael thinks he's telling the truth! ...well, YEAH: SERAPH.)

If a Superior wants to have a demon's resonance not bounce automatically, though, I figure they could do it. They react fast; I would say one could detect a resonance attempt, spin off an instantiation to absorb it, and then have the local manifestation react as desired.

Tags
habbalah, resonances