Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-17-2018, 06:09 AM   #1
bluekitsune13

Default What's the point in hand to hand combat?

Maybe I glossed over the rules, but this is something I never used in my games. I think I know how it works, but maybe I have never seen the tactical value. Just seems weird that an enemy can step into your hex and you just drop your weapon. Why wouldn't you defend against it?

Maybe someone can explain it better for me or let me know when would be a good time to go hand to hand.
bluekitsune13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:18 AM   #2
zot

Default Re: What's the point in hand to hand combat?

If you're good at it, you can make someone else drop their weapon and face you at a disadvantage. In ITL, Unarmed Combat gives you +1 damage in HTH (the new version does not).

Rick Smith has some very good adjustments to HTH that we've been using in our play testing: https://tft.brainiac.com/RicksTFT/Fi...HTH_InTFT.html

This includes offensive talents to make it easier to enter HTH and a defensive talent to make it harder for someone to force you into HTH.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:20 AM   #3
zot

Also, disengaging from HTH requires a 4/DX roll.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:29 AM   #4
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekitsune13 View Post
Maybe I glossed over the rules, but this is something I never used in my games. I think I know how it works, but maybe I have never seen the tactical value. Just seems weird that an enemy can step into your hex and you just drop your weapon. Why wouldn't you defend against it?

Maybe someone can explain it better for me or let me know when would be a good time to go hand to hand.
Hi BlueKitsune13,
You drop your weapon because you are physically wrestling with the guy, you can't keep a hold of your weapon. Why don't you defend against it? Well you do, and have 2/6 chance of knocking him back. (Totally random tho, nothing you can do in old TFT to improve your chances to defend.)

As for when you want to go into HTH, think about a horde of goblins. Your party is chopping them up, and then your main fighter goes down in HTH! He drops his massive magical sword of awesomeness! Goblins jump thru the gap and start attacking the wizard and bow men in the back.

That is when the goblins want to bring some of you down into HTH. I find that the time I most want to get someone else into HTH is when I'm desperate and want to take a really strong figure out of the fight.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:34 AM   #5
RobW

It's an excellent way to take dangerous fighters out of action. See baddie, summon wolf, wolf enters HTH, everyone else now rush up and attack the brawl at +4 DX. But I never use it and never suggest it to anyone, I just groan a little when it happens:
A. The counters are flipped over and the map looks dull and without spectacle
B. The tactical intrigue relating to engagement goes down
C. Figures in HTH have very little in the way of interesting options, either attack with a cruddy weapon or struggle to disengage
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:42 AM   #6
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
It's an excellent way to take dangerous fighters out of action. See baddie, summon wolf, wolf enters HTH, everyone else now rush up and attack the brawl at +4 DX. But I never use it and never suggest it to anyone, I just groan a little when it happens:
A. The counters are flipped over and the map looks dull and without spectacle
B. The tactical intrigue relating to engagement goes down
C. Figures in HTH have very little in the way of interesting options, either attack with a cruddy weapon or struggle to disengage
Hi Rob,
We only flip over the counters if someone is dead or unconscious.

I've added talents that make it a lot harder for someone to get you in HTH, so if people manage it, it feels like either they deserve it, or the tank should have TAKEN those talents. It is not a random event that can't be defended against.

I can certainly feel your frustration with it now, however.

Warm regards, Rick.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:11 AM   #7
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Rob,
We only flip over the counters if someone is dead or unconscious.

I've added talents that make it a lot harder for someone to get you in HTH, so if people manage it, it feels like either they deserve it, or the tank should have TAKEN those talents. It is not a random event that can't be defended against.

I can certainly feel your frustration with it now, however.
I highly recommend Rick's rules -- I linked them above. I think they make HTH a lot of fun.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
bluekitsune13

Thanks. Those alt rules make more sense. I also never thought of the tactical value of engaging in hth too. For a bunch of weaker goblins it makes senae. I play with Warhammer figures, so I might try making a Skaven character who can hold a dagger with his tail, so he gets a bonus in hth combat. He'd pounce on you, then hold you down with both arms and stab you with his tail knife. Haha.
bluekitsune13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:02 PM   #9
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekitsune13 View Post
Thanks. Those alt rules make more sense. I also never thought of the tactical value of engaging in hth too. For a bunch of weaker goblins it makes senae. I play with Warhammer figures, so I might try making a Skaven character who can hold a dagger with his tail, so he gets a bonus in hth combat. He'd pounce on you, then hold you down with both arms and stab you with his tail knife. Haha.
Hi BlueKitsune13,
You might want to write that up for the new Monster's thread.

Warm regards, Rick.