Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #1
TippetsTX

Default UC Throw ability

At UC III and above the opponent’s saving throw requires a 4-die roll. I assume this only applies when the 'thrower' is as strong or stronger than his opponent, however, so what happens when the opponent is stronger? Does the 2-die saving throw become 3 dice?
Old 01-13-2019, 04:40 AM   #2
RobW

Default Re: UC Throw ability

I read this as 4D regardless of relative ST, ie you can't stop the UC expert with brute strength.

At UV IV and V this seems reasonable to me, as these talents have a minimum ST requirement (11/12). Given the UC expert has the ST needed to sweep your leg or whatever, you can't fight back with your own ST. Fine for me.

However for a UCIII weakling (eg ST4 halfling, or maybe even ST8), I think you have a good point. Seems like the defender should be able to resist more effectively.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
larsdangly

I too would just play it straight up, as written (no implied ST comparison), simply because UC III is a pretty demanding buy - you are really invested by the time you get there. I think this is fine as an advanced character's 'big ability', and it's no more or less realistic than lots of other things in the game.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:33 PM   #4
Tenex

I'm of mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, UC attacks are not primarily based on strength. However you would be a fool to think that strength doesn't play a part. There are weight classes in every fighting sport. Yes, I know size doesn't equal strength, but there's a limit to how strong you can be if you are tiny.

I think I might give it a 4-5 ST margin. It's absurd for a human to be throwing a giant or for a normal hobbit to throw Conan.
Tenex is offline   Reply With Quote