Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Small But Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
My GM isn't so generous. Generally I can move towards a target, All-Out-Attack a target or move-and-attack. Generally any movement that doesn't bring me into range of a target or give me an attack that isn't obstructed isn't allowed in a berserk state. No retreat no defense, no targeting, no maneuvering for advantage.
Use a weapon that requires a ready action to change reach, taking a step to avoid a ready action should be perfectly acceptable.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:58 PM   #12
Imbicatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Use a weapon that requires a ready action to change reach, taking a step to avoid a ready action should be perfectly acceptable.
Eh, Punches or kicks can be used without a ready action or a step. Berserk is a pretty hefty disadvantage worth a lot of points, and trying to abuse weapon choice to avoid its drawbacks while benefiting from its upsides would not be revived well at my table.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:04 PM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
Eh, Punches or kicks can be used without a ready action or a step. Berserk is a pretty hefty disadvantage worth a lot of points, and trying to abuse weapon choice to avoid its drawbacks while benefiting from its upsides would not be revived well at my table.
Being forced to all out attack every turn is already sufficient to make berserk not appealing.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #14
Imbicatus

It does, but that’s ignoring the other severe parts of the disadvantage, which is that you are only allowed to move closer to your foe if there is no foe in range. If there is a foe in range, you can’t move away.

Quote:
If armed with a melee weapon, you must make an All-Out Attack each turn a foe is in range. If no foe is in range, you must use a Move maneuver to get as close as possible to a foe – and if you can Move and Attack, you will.
Technically, you should be moving into close combat to attack, but I’d only force you to move to the minimum reach of your primary weapon. I’d certainly never allow you to move away from a foe in range.

You get some great benefits in exchange, you become immune to shock, stun, knowdown, movement penalities from injuries, and have the equivalent of hard to kill +4. If you don’t enforce all of a disadvantage then you’re giving points for free. I always discourage players from taking berserk, because sooner or later it will get you killed. That’s what it’s supposed to do.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:11 PM   #15
Purple Snit

10/10, lots of flavour, a great "character", and someone I would most definitely use as an NPC. I especially like the touches of giving descriptive names to her maneuvers. Well done!
Purple Snit is offline   Reply With Quote