Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2019, 05:34 AM   #51
Alonsua
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

The Antarctica has very few residents, with a top population of 1,106 in summer. I can see NATO being convinced into giving up on it instead of risking a world war III.
Alonsua is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:37 AM   #52
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
At any moment there is a limited number of human engineers working at skill 26 (18 (skill)+4(assistants)+4(versatile 4)). By selling just some TL10 technology they would be rolling at -27 (-22(amazing)+5(working model)-10(TL+2)). If they were to take 30 times the basic time, that would be rolling against 4, which means 1.85% probability for success, or about 1418 years to reverse anything. And this presupposes that the androids, being artificial intelligences, consented instead of resorting to self-destruction.
Look, rules don't make game worlds. Rules are meant to emulate game worlds. And if your world is supposed to be anything like our world, that's not how it works.

The US military won't buy and deploy remotely controllable weapon systems that they do not understand, don't have the source code for, don't have ultimate control over and cannot repair, modify or upgrade. If they buy stuff from you, they will understand exactly how it works before you ever get approved for a single military acquisition contract.
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:40 AM   #53
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
The Antarctica has very few residents, with a top population of 1,106 in summer. I can see NATO being convinced into giving up on it instead of risking a world war III.
It isn't about Antarctica. The NATO countries will want to utterly destroy the company long before it invades Antarctica, for the crime of having illegally and with every appearance of malice aforethought built up a military that is meant to fight WWIII.

States are very much like Dark Lords in that they are all about a monopoly on the use of force within their territories. And within each territory, there is, metaphorically, only one Dark Lord and He does not share power.
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:41 AM   #54
Alonsua
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
The US military won't buy and deploy remotely controllable weapon systems that they do not understand, don't have the source code for, don't have ultimate control over and cannot repair, modify or upgrade. If they buy stuff from you, they will understand exactly how it works before you ever get approved for a single military acquisition contract.
Then sell them to private companies as high-profile or security employees, while you secretly bring bioroids to take over the military. And use the Antarctica for your hidden facilities.
Alonsua is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:42 AM   #55
Alonsua
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
It isn't about Antarctica. The NATO countries will want to utterly destroy the company long before it invades Antarctica, for the crime of having illegally and with every appearance of malice aforethought built up a military that is meant to fight WWIII.
They dont need to know, thats what hidden facilities and secrets are meant for.
Alonsua is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:46 AM   #56
Alonsua
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Seems like NATO has less than three million military personnel, while the corporation would be able to deploy up to 672 thousand TL11 (corrected) combat androids. The odds are actually 50% once the TL has been adjusted for a budget of about 1 trillion against 100.8 billion dollars.
Alonsua is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:47 AM   #57
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
They dont need to know, thats what hidden facilities and secrets are meant for.
Yes and no amount of pointing to 'Hidden Facilities' and 'Secret' on a character or Boardroom and Curia sheet will make it plausible to apply these to something that isn't a small program ancillary to much larger, legitimate business concerns, but is actually an attempt to take over the world that demands more military infrastructure than almost every nation-state in the world has.

It's theoretically plausible that someplace like Iran or North Korea can conceal some relatively minor aspects of their top secret military acquisitions and research, though in the actual real world, any secrets mostly tend to leak out the moment more than a couple of people know them. No country or polity could claim not to have a military and actually have one capable of world conquest, however. Apple couldn't conceal that instead of being a consumer electronics company, they actually had a more powerful military than China. That's not just comic book hand-waving, it's comic book hand-waving that other comic-book handwaves make fun of in the shower for being weird and off-putting.
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:52 AM   #58
Alonsua
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Yes and no amount of pointing to 'Hidden Facilities' and 'Secret' on a character or Boardroom and Curia sheet will make it plausible to apply these to something that isn't a small program ancillary to much larger, legitimate business concerns, but is actually an attempt to take over the world that demands more military infrastructure than almost every nation-state in the world has.
I do not think it's so difficult to place dozens of android employees here and there who secretly have much superior combat capabilities than it seems. 0.336 km2 would store them all.

The effective exercise of the antitrust law in these circumstances seems to me at least undesirable for any country involved.

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-11-2019 at 06:03 AM.
Alonsua is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 06:05 AM   #59
talonthehand
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LFK
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
I do not think it's so difficult to place dozens of android employees here and there who secretly have much superior combat capabilities than it seems. 0.336 km2 would store them all.

The effective exercise of the antitrust law in these circumstances seems to me at least undesirable for any country involved.
I'm confused - I thought there were 672000. Not, like, 60.
talonthehand is online now  
Old 01-11-2019, 06:06 AM   #60
Alonsua
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonthehand View Post
I'm confused - I thought there were 672000. Not, like, 60.
They are 672,000, at 0.5 m2 each. Dont you love nanobot swarms for maintenance purposes?

Some vessels are about 0,0078 km2, so just buy half hundred cargo vessels for transport.

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-11-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Alonsua is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.