Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
Varyon

Default [Powers] Melee Cone?

Apologies if this has been answered before (search showed up some mentions of it but no resolution), but how should one go about making a melee cone attack? This could be a sweeping sword of fire or similar. The easy solution would be to combine Melee Attack and Cone of the appropriate width, but RAW explicitly disallows such a combination. I can do a melee area effect (whirlwind-type attack) with a small Area Effect and Emanation, but no such luck with Cone. The closest I can think of - and I'm not certain this is RAW legal, as you aren't allowed to decrease Max Range independently* - would be to set 1/2D=Max, then reduce Range all the way down to the appropriate Reach. Of course, for a proper "melee attack" you'd want to add Blockable -10% as well, but that's optional. Is this actually a RAW legal option? If there is no RAW legal option for making a melee cone, what might be some appropriate pricing for a houserule?

To do either with Natural Weapon, I'm thinking you'd buy the Ranged +100% Enhancement, then build things as above. Is this correct?

*Technically, this build would be increasing 1/2D until it was equal to Max, then decreasing both down to the appropriate level, but that has the same effect - and same cost - as dropping Max independently would.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Powers] Melee Cone?

This might actually be best modelled with the Jet enhancement, actually. High-Tech gives a special All-Out Attack option (High-Tech p. 178) to weapons like flamethrowers, but I think the rules could be generalized for any attack that uses Jet, not just Burning Attacks.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
Refplace

I agree a jet is the typical way to go for this. Even some versions of Dragon Fire are done as jets.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:25 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Melee Innate attacks follow the normal rules for melee attacks, so isn't this more sensibly a series of rapid strikes or a whirlwind attack?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Melee Innate attacks follow the normal rules for melee attacks, so isn't this more sensibly a series of rapid strikes or a whirlwind attack?
One doesn't normally have to roll to hit targets within one's Area of Effect. A Cone is an AoE affect.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
Bruno

It's not "official" but I do allow combining Jet and Cone - note that this makes the length of your cone 10 yards, as per Jet.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:29 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
One doesn't normally have to roll to hit targets within one's Area of Effect. A Cone is an AoE affect.
You should have to roll to hit targets with a sweeping melee attack, though.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cone, melee, powers