Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-06-2020, 02:51 AM   #1
Greg 1

Default What DF races have towns?

There's no right answer to this question. I'm asking how you imagine your DF world.

Some races build towns in which they are the majority. Humans are the most obvious example, with Dwarves perhaps being next most common.

What DF races do you think have towns?
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:46 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: What DF races have towns?

Humans, Dwarfs, Halflings and maybe goblin-kin.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:27 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

I'd add gnomes and coleopterans to Anders' list.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:03 AM   #4
Celjabba

If you add villages, I would say most of them except perhaps the half-xxxs.
I like the Everquest background of Ogres being a superior precursor race cursed with stupidity by gods afraid of their progress, long before the rise of mankind.
So there are huge, majestic Ogre cities, just deserted long ago and taken over by other species.

Cat-folk being nomadic is a common trope.

For goblin-kin, orc cities for sure (with an industrial tone), maybe not for the smaller kinds.

Elves are the one I hesitate with.Both approach have merit.
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:11 AM   #5
Kalzazz

I imagine all the non half PC races do

Monsters may build cities, but if they do are horrid scars of urban blight or creepy stuff like Melnibone, nothing anyone wants to live in
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:37 AM   #6
Gumby Bush

Most non-half races. Exceptions would be imports into DFRPG from DF: Corpse-Eaters, Dark Ones, Gargoyles, and Trolls.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:59 AM   #7
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

I always pictured the dragonborn (dragon-blooded after Nordlondr Folk) as either having dedicated settlements or some other arrangement where they could do their "need protein and lots of it" thing without freakin' the normies.

There's a certain amount of "are folks different or does no one really notice Mrr'clrk the coleopteran tavern owner?" that is a game-to-game variation. My own experience is that if racial packages are on order, they're taken...so enclaves of isolation are a bit odd when your adventuring party is a schmorgasbord of "wait, WHO got together to make you? And HOW?"
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:05 AM   #8
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
My own experience is that if racial packages are on order, they're taken...so enclaves of isolation are a bit odd when your adventuring party is a schmorgasbord of "wait, WHO got together to make you? And HOW?"
On the other hand, fantastic racism is a good motivation to go out and adventure. Considering the dangers, you'd expect adventurers to be those who can't make it anywhere else. And smörgåsbord is spelled with a simple "s". :)
Old 10-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
Kalzazz

I figure that it's kinda like Ethnicity

You might have places in say Scotland that have tons of Scottish people but no-one is going to find it to weird to see one in Iowa either

So there are going to be places that have like a really high percentage of elves and places with not very many elves and probably the elves will have Dragonborn Restaurants that serve food that Dragonborn shake their head at because it's not what their mothers would make (elven restaurants in predominantly Dragonborn areas probably get the same reactions from Elves)

Trying to find good pierogis in Texas is hard enough, I can't imagine being a Dragonborn in the elven place

And then you have places like New York City and who knows what the dominant race is
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:46 AM   #10
WhiteLily

DFRPG doesn't really have a defined setting. Therefore, I feel the answer to the question depends on what fantasy world you are seeking to emulate.
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote