Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
supersaiyandoyle

Default Danger Sense

Does Danger Sense activate on an attack from behind in a battle? The dangers is known, so I'd say no, but my players insist that I ask.
supersaiyandoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Danger Sense

Many people allow Danger Sense to provide sufficient warning to allow an Active Defense against a rear attack. (See, for instance, "Combat Sense" in Psi Powers, which is built on Danger Sense.)

Negating the penalty calls for 360 Vision. If you're generous, you might allow the "details" provided by Danger Sense on a crit to negate the penalty.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersaiyandoyle View Post
Does Danger Sense activate on an attack from behind in a battle? The dangers is known, so I'd say no, but my players insist that I ask.
Based on the "Runaround" attack box (B391), getting no defense against back attacks is a function of not knowing the attack is coming, which is therefore an unknown attack that danger sense can warn you about. Thus, I'd treat back attacks against danger sense in the same way as a runaround attack.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
supersaiyandoyle

Even when there are a bunch of them, they are attacking from far away, and they are shooting lightning?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Especially then. That's what Danger Sense is for.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
supersaiyandoyle

Even if he knew that they were there, so the Danger Sense would be going off anyways?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
Anaraxes

Why would Danger Sense be going off constantly in a battle? It can, for instance, warn you of an ambush -- but I wouldn't think it provides a continuous distraction after the ambushers jump out and open battle rages. In the middle of that open battle, however, you might get another tingly feeling that lets you know you're about to be hit from behind. Danger Sense doesn't go off constantly while you're in a dungeon, or in the bad part of town, or while you're in the IRS offices. (Just one tingle before the auditor calls so you know not to answer the phone...)

Or looking at it from the other side, how are you going to build kung fu masters / chambara fighters / Jedi masters that do block attacks from behind? 360 Vision lets you do so with no penalty. Hence, I kind of like Danger Sense for that middle stage between "you have no clue, so no defense possible" through "you know it's soon to come, like a runaround", to "you have eyes in the back of your head and have no problem defending your rear hex".
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
gesus

But DS doesn't provide details about a threat (except on crit), so you still don't know about attack from behind, you just know that something dangerous is happening. So in your turn you can spend part of round looking around and then locate that particular threat. Or you can just start running, or dropping behind cover etc. It's player's decision based just on DING! caused by DS.
gesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersaiyandoyle View Post
Even if he knew that they were there, so the Danger Sense would be going off anyways?
If you know they're there, and attacking it doesn't matter whether Danger Sense goes off or not. But what you shouldn't do is give people unexpected threats or let them be blindsided without getting their DS roll.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 04-16-2013 at 12:58 AM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
Langy

I'd rule that Danger Sense always allows you to attempt an Active Defense on a success (and any time you're attacked and there's a question of whether you're allowed an Active Defense, you get to roll for Danger Sense). I'm not even sure I'd assess a Runaround Attack penalty to the defense.

This would even apply to attacks that don't normally allow an Active Defense. It has to be enough of a warning that the Danger Sense guy can attempt to respond to the danger - which might be anything from 'jump out of the building before it explodes' to 'shoot the bad guy who is about to attempt to mind-control you'.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
active, danger, defense, dodge, sense