Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
rerednaw

Default GURPS DF Dungeons question...

I have GURPS DF boxed set and also several GURPS books (Magic, Low-tech).

Are the adventures designed to work with what is in the box OR do they require additional expansions/splatbooks? I could not tell from the product descriptions.

If they do require more, which books please and thank you. :)
Old 08-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
lachimba

Default Re: GURPS DF Dungeons question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerednaw View Post

Are the adventures designed to work with what is in the box OR do they require additional expansions/splatbooks? I could not tell from the product descriptions.

Which adventures?
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
rerednaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Which adventures?
The first one was...Mirror of the Demon...then there was one with Rat-Folk...and the new one just came out today, Tomb of the Dragon King...
Old 08-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #4
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Be careful about names here. The Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, which is to say the box set, is intended to be a stand-alone game which doesn't require or refer to anything else. There are two adventures for it: I Smell A Rat, which is included in the box set, and Against The Rat Men. It's 99% compatible with the rest of GURPS, but there are small differences and, as I say, no references. You can use other GURPS stuff with the DFRPG, but it's not written with the expectation you will, and you may have to tweak some things to fit.

Then there's the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy line. These are not stand-alone. They assume that you have and are using the Basic Set (and possibly GURPS Magic; I don't actually remember). There are two adventures for that series: Mirror of the Fire Demon and now Tomb of the Dragon King. They refer to other items in the GURPS DF series but not in the DFRPG.

Neither make much reference to anything outside of their own lanes. You can use stuff from, say, Low Tech or Creatures of the Night or Spaceships, but they aren't referenced by either the DFRPG or any GURPS DF books, and there's no expectation you'll use them.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
Dalin

Quote:

I'm currently running Mirror of the Fire Demon with the DFRPG boxed set. I also own most of the GURPS DF PDFs which are helpful for occasional references (mostly professions and spells from GURPS Dungeon Fantasy or GURPS Magic), but you can easily ignore those bits or swap things in from the boxed set. The adventure has an extensive bestiary of its own, which makes things easier.

I have just started reading Tomb of the Dragon King, so I can't comment extensively. I have already noticed, however, that it has many more references to monsters in the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy line. Many of these are also included in the boxed set (or have close corollaries there), but some might be more difficult to match. Again, though, it's pretty easy to just swap monsters for other ones, so I wouldn't say that the DF PDFs are really required.

Also note that both of these adventures include a "Recommended Books" paragraph at the beginning that list the specific titles that are helpful.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Be careful about names here. The Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, which is to say the box set, is intended to be a stand-alone game which doesn't require or refer to anything else. There are two adventures for it: I Smell A Rat, which is included in the box set, and Against The Rat Men.
Meep! Three! :-)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Meep! Three! :-)
"Three, sire."

"THREE!"

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:56 PM   #8
rerednaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I'm currently running Mirror of the Fire Demon with the DFRPG boxed set. I also own most of the GURPS DF PDFs which are helpful for occasional references (mostly professions and spells from GURPS Dungeon Fantasy or GURPS Magic), but you can easily ignore those bits or swap things in from the boxed set. The adventure has an extensive bestiary of its own, which makes things easier.

I have just started reading Tomb of the Dragon King, so I can't comment extensively. I have already noticed, however, that it has many more references to monsters in the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy line. Many of these are also included in the boxed set (or have close corollaries there), but some might be more difficult to match. Again, though, it's pretty easy to just swap monsters for other ones, so I wouldn't say that the DF PDFs are really required.

Also note that both of these adventures include a "Recommended Books" paragraph at the beginning that list the specific titles that are helpful.
Which books have the monsters? And which recommended books (as they are not mentioned in the product description in w23.) please?
Old 08-18-2018, 12:03 AM   #9
bert

Tomb of the Dragon King references all three Dungeon Fantasy: monsters books. However, all the main villains are in the adventure, so I think it can quite easily be used with the boxed set (DFRPG).

I think it would be nice if the next adventure for DF gave some short but explicit conversion notes for DFRPG!

And, if you haven’t heard, there is a very nice third party adventure called Hall of Judgment by Gaming Ballistic (that would be Mr Cole above in this thread), I highly recommend it.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:40 AM   #10
Dalin

Quote:
Which books have the monsters? And which recommended books (as they are not mentioned in the product description in w23.) please?
The latest adventure (Tomb of the Dragon King) ostensibly requires GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 2: Dungeons, GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 1, GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2: Icky Goo, and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 3: Born of Myth & Magic.

In addition, it recommends GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 3: The Next Level and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 8: Treasure Tables.

Again, though, I think you can easily get by with just the boxed set. If I were just going to get some of these I would get the monster books first and then treasure tables because they can all be useful in DFRPG. DF2 is almost entirely ported over to DFRPG Exploits.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote