Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #51
Anaraxes

Default Re: By the way... Why the change with dodge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Pegging together the equally meaningless bottom ends of two scales is a terrible basis.
Well, if you really think the 3d6 scale, the Move scale, and the Basic Speed scale are meaningless in GURPS, you shouldn't be too worked up about it. Speed, Move, and Dodge are all also directly related by the rules, so it's not an arbitrary association.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #52
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Well, if you really think the 3d6 scale, the Move scale, and the Basic Speed scale are meaningless in GURPS, you shouldn't be too worked up about it. Speed, Move, and Dodge are all also directly related by the rules, so it's not an arbitrary association.
The Move scale is clearly not meaningful below zero. Dodge doesn't bottom out at 3, though clearly buying base Dodge down below 3 would be a point crock. Speed bottoming out at 0 is something I'd never seen before this thread and which I see no particular reason for except to prevent getting points for selling Dodge below 3. And the relation between Dodge and Basic Speed is Dodge = Basic Speed + 3, but that fact obviously can't be part of its own justification.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:28 AM   #53
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The Move scale is clearly not meaningful below zero. Dodge doesn't bottom out at 3, though clearly buying base Dodge down below 3 would be a point crock. Speed bottoming out at 0 is something I'd never seen before this thread and which I see no particular reason for except to prevent getting points for selling Dodge below 3. And the relation between Dodge and Basic Speed is Dodge = Basic Speed + 3, but that fact obviously can't be part of its own justification.
One of the rules that pops up (or will) here and there is that in some cases, if the thing you're rolling against drops below 3, you don't get to roll at all.

I think, though (without checking the books) that defenses might be exempt from this canonically. Still, I'd feel plenty justified as GM to disallow dodging if your roll dropped below 3.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #54
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Basic Speed 0.00 means you'll act last against everyone but other Basic Speed 0.00 people. It's fundamentally the opposite of Enhanced Time Sense in this regard. However, there's absolutely nothing illegal about a creature taking Basic Speed 0.00 for -100 points, Basic Move 5 for 25 points, and trying to dodge at 3, or even at 6 with a retreat. The fact that you act last doesn't mean you can't run and duck . . . presumably, somebody who always runs last is as valid as somebody who always runs first.
I'm snatching that for a fantasy race concept. Maybe some semi-mobile treefolk.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #55
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post

One of the rules that pops up (or will) here and there is that in some cases, if the thing you're rolling against drops below 3, you don't get to roll at all.

I think, though (without checking the books) that defenses might be exempt from this canonically. Still, I'd feel plenty justified as GM to disallow dodging if your roll dropped below 3.
Active defenses are indeed exempt. That said, we still took great pains to ensure that no target number would regularly be lower than 3 in our 3d system. It's the active-defense exception, which exists to give players a better sense of agency and control, that's the quirky afterthought . . . not the +3 to norm defense targets into the 3-18 range. When Dodge is used for something other than an active defense roll (say, when the GM uses it to gauge reflexes in a Quick Contest of Dodge), it doesn't benefit from the exemption; someone with a 2 or less would be out of luck. The exceptional case is "defense roll," not "any roll against your Dodge score."

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post

I'm snatching that for a fantasy race concept. Maybe some semi-mobile treefolk.
FWIW, GURPS Zombies recommends the Basic Speed 0.00, Dodge 3, Move 1+ case for the slowest, most shambling sorts of movie zombies. That setup ensures that all characters with speaking roles get to act before the zeds, as in the movies, yet that the dead somehow move around and present a threat despite this oddity. It would also be good for the sorts of primitive robots in some TL6 pulps, which lurch around hopelessly and have to "compute" everything, yet somehow duck blows and chase people.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #56
Bruno

Quote:
FWIW, GURPS Zombies recommends the Basic Speed 0.00, Dodge 3, Move 1+ case for the slowest, most shambling sorts of movie zombies. That setup ensures that all characters with speaking roles get to act before the zeds, as in the movies, yet that the dead somehow move around and present a threat despite this oddity.
This book definitely is going on the special place on my shelf right next to GURPS Undead. Eeeee!
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #57
apoc527

Quote:
FWIW, GURPS Zombies recommends the Basic Speed 0.00, Dodge 3, Move 1+ case for the slowest, most shambling sorts of movie zombies. That setup ensures that all characters with speaking roles get to act before the zeds, as in the movies, yet that the dead somehow move around and present a threat despite this oddity. It would also be good for the sorts of primitive robots in some TL6 pulps, which lurch around hopelessly and have to "compute" everything, yet somehow duck blows and chase people.
Totally a non sequitor, but this is very clever. It's also NOT what the walkers/biters in The Walking Dead are like--I'm curious to see some GURPS stats for a typical walker. They seem unable to catch a running person, but SOME of them are quite quick. Anyway, that's off topic. I'm sure someone will start a Walking Dead thread someday anyway.

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #58
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
Totally a non sequitor, but this is very clever. It's also NOT what the walkers/biters in The Walking Dead are like--I'm curious to see some GURPS stats for a typical walker. They seem unable to catch a running person, but SOME of them are quite quick.
They might have horror movie speed, where a monster's speed depends on how fast you can move, so the faster you are, the faster they are.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #59
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

GURPS Zombies covers pretty much all zombies: objectively slow shamblers, subjectively "slow" dead that nevertheless keep up, ordinary-speed zeds, and the formerly controversial (now pretty standard) fast ones. It's less a prescription than a tool box. For that matter, it covers lots of origins, from Vodoun through cursed burial grounds to contagion, and including fantasy necromancy and steampunk "Frankstein's monster without the brains" constructs. Speed is all over the map . . . I think that at least one worked-example zombie is basically a super-soldier with superhuman speed and reflexes. I didn't exactly worship at Romero's feet, especially not when I opined that Universal Soldier and Silent Rage were zombie movies of sorts. :)
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #60
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Showing the variety of zombies in three titles:
Biohazard, Dead Space, Left for Dead.

Tags
change, dodge