Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 11-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
Sqrl

Default End game trigger question

If you win for reaching level 9 because you are a cowboy and have a steed, but someone plays a card after figuring out you win that causes you to lose your steed thus not winning. So can they do this because there is lag time for people like in when killing a monster or once end game is triggered that is absolute?
Sqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: End game trigger question

Well, when you are beating a monster, you have to give people the opportunity to react and try to stop you before you can declare you have won the combat.

If combat is not over yet, because you are waiting to see if anybody wants to do something to stop you, then somebody else could still curse away your Steed before you got the rewards of winning combat.

However, once the combat has completed, you get your level, and they cannot react to you getting the level by trying to take your Steed away. At that point, it is too late, you've already won the game.

I will say, though, I think it is usually considered good form to announce when a combat is for the win, so people have a chance to react to that fact. I'm not sure the rules actually REQUIRE it, though. I'm sure a case could be made that, so long as your cards are out there where everybody can see them, it is up to your opponents to realize that your being a Cowboy with a Steed means you only need to get to level 9. But I wouldn't do that in a friendly game, especially if all the players weren't experienced.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Default Re: End game trigger question

The timing in Munchkin is simple: You play a card and deal with its results immediately. There is no "stack," and only cards which say they can retroactively cancel something (Wishing Ring is always the best example, in that it can be played to react to something). There is also only one portion of the game where people are given reasonable time to play cards to prevent something, and that's during the combat, not after the fact. In other words, the time to stop a Cowboy with a Steed from winning the game at Level 9 was while he was giving everyone a chance to stop him from killing the Monster(s) that let him get to Level 9. Once he's won the combat and the game that way, there's no, "Oh, whoops, I forgot to look at your cards and make sure I understood what was happening. You don't have the Steed now though, so you didn't win."

Now, if he was in any way keeping his "about to win" status surreptitious, as in trying to hide that he was a Cowboy and had a Steed, I'd consider making sure players announce that they're going to win the game.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote