Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #31
pup67vargr

Default Re: The Voyages of "The Hiawatha" [Hero Class] : GURPS Traveller

doulos05: Go ahead and make the Freight Handling roll to see how long it takes to accomplish operations. You can also make an Area Knowledge (Prometheus) roll to see about speculative cargoes, or you can use the 'system' I've posted in the OOC. Or some combination of the two if you prefer? We'll just make this up as we go along, and sooner or later, we're bound to hit on a system that we like. Ideas/comments/criticism from any player is welcome.
pup67vargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #32
doulos05

Silvester O'Donnell
Freight Handling (3d6=14) "Alright boys, let's get this stuff offloaded!"

Area Knowledge(Prometheus) (3d6=7)

Roll for Drop Point Cargo availability. (3d6=16)

No Drop Point Cargo available, no further rolls. RP to follow re: the absence of Drop Point Cargo.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #33
pup67vargr

Please see post #2 of the Crew Roster for a run-down of cargo operations at Prometheus, including the cargo bound for Ninkur Sagga, passengers bound for Barnard, and fare/fee information.

Last edited by pup67vargr; 09-06-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #34
doulos05

[OOC] Sorry, this has been a terrible week, with maybe more to come. But I have a 4 day weekend starting tonight so RP will follow as promised. Below is the preliminary RP for speculative cargo.[/OOC]

Sylvester O'Donnell begins his search for speculative cargo at the lumber yard, card in hand. "Excuse me, can I see what you have for sale that's cleared for off-world transport?"

Last edited by doulos05; 09-08-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #35
pup67vargr

"Cleared for off-world transport you say? The only stuff we've got that's not cleared for off-world is our rare wood product line, but I doubt if you'd be interested much in that anyway, you look like a practical sort of fellow who wouldn't insist that his toilet seat be lovingly sculpted from hand-shaved, quarter-sawn white laurinium wood. What are you looking for in particular, and how much did you have in mind?" The burly clerk sizes up O'Donnell and notices that he is dressed like a spacer, then he looks both ways, and raises his hand to his mouth as if to shade a conspiratorial whisper to O'Donnell, "Don't go blabbin' this around the store, but we've got an overstock of top-grade Auripsium, both studs and planks, and we've got a shipment of roofing materials waiting on the docks for us to make room for it. I just might be in a position to make you a pretty sweet deal if you can take a few thousand board-meters of Auripsium, and a hundred squares of shingles off my hands."

OOC: Make an Area Knowledge (Prometheus) roll or a Trade roll, whichever is best for you, to see what kind of deal we're talking about, please?

OOC: When you can get to it, that is. No rush. ;-)

Last edited by pup67vargr; 09-09-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:18 AM   #36
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup67vargr View Post
OOC: Make an Area Knowledge (Prometheus) roll or a Trade roll, whichever is best for you, to see what kind of deal we're talking about, please?

OOC: When you can get to it, that is. No rush. ;-)
OOC: Does the roll in post #32 not count? That Area Knowledge roll of a 7 was meant to be the speculative trading roll. Sorry I didn't make that more explicit, I'll call our roll purposes more clearly next time. If you want, I'll make another roll.

O'Donnell looked over the lumber and shingles. There was definitely enough space in the hold, it would probably even fit in one of the modular containers. His time in sales had convinced him he could sell just about anything, the question was margin.

"Just how good a deal are we talking about here..." Because he is impulsive, O'Donnell will begin negotiations with the clerk unless his Area Knowledge check clearly indicates that this is a bad deal. In which case his over-confidence will kick in and he'll try to negotiate until it turns into a good deal :)

Rolls:
Area Knowledge (Prometheus) (3d6=13) Skill from the expert program was 13 or 15 if I could link back to the computer. If possible, he'll try to get enough separation from the clerk to check this discretely, but he won't be overtly sneaky about it.

Merchant (3d6=6) Well, looks like no matter how good or bad the wood itself is, we'll get a good price for it. My Merchant is 16, plus any bonuses I may or may not get for having a 20 in Fast Talk or any of my other social advantages (Applicable advantages are Fashion Sense and Voice).
Old 09-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #37
sn0wball

Dr. Chevalier will go out and try to visit one or more medical institutions and chat with some M.D. colleagues. Aprt from her general curiosity, she will have an open ear to medical news from corewards, that is, from Vilani space, and whether these might provide business opportunities for the ship.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #38
pup67vargr

doulos05 --

O'Donnell has succeeded well enough with his negotiations that he is able to buy as much lumber and/or shingles as he wishes at $775 dTon. Estimates for re-selling the material range from $3,500 - $6,000 per dTon, depending on local market conditions where the re-sale is to occur.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #39
pup67vargr

sn0wball --

OOC: Dr. Cevalier is easily able to find medical colleauges with which to chat. Does she prefer to go to a private medical office, a small clinic, a large hospital, a medical university, or somewhere else? Hmmm, what sort of opportunities does she have in mind? Although the fragile peace with the Vilani seems to be holding, there are probably still isolated pockets where the conflict is ongoing. She is almost certainly not going to hear news of Vilani medical breakthroughs this far out and this near to a recent Vilani enemy until much too late for the information to be of any use. But she might hear about outbreaks of disease among Vilani populations that might suggest that Vilani outposts in the area may be having diffuculties being re-supplied, or even that some outposts have been quarantined.

Does that help you to decide which particular avenue Dr. Chevalier will choose to pursue?
Old 09-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #40
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup67vargr View Post
doulos05 --

O'Donnell has succeeded well enough with his negotiations that he is able to buy as much lumber and/or shingles as he wishes at $775 dTon. Estimates for re-selling the material range from $3,500 - $6,000 per dTon, depending on local market conditions where the re-sale is to occur.
"Excellent! I'm glad we could help you clear this lumber." Sylvester chimed in a clear voice. "We'll take 35,000 board meters and 150 pallets of the shingles (50 dtons). Here is your payment, sir. I will be back in 2 hours with cargo containers to load it in."

OOC: I will run calculations and post them in the Crew Roster and the Wiki as to how much wood fits in each cargo container and roll and RP the loading shortly.