Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
Kal

Default 4e Cyberpunk???

Hi folks - after re-reading some of my Gibson boooks, I'm wanting to run a GURPS cyberpunk game - has any cyberpunk setting material been updated to 4e. I'm assuming that I'm gonna mostly using ultra tech and bio tech for the rules....

Any suggestions for running GURPS cyberpunk, as ive only run modern day GURPS games before?

Cheers

Kal
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #2
SurrealityNow

Default Re: 4e Cyberpunk???

I might not be the best for this, but I'll try.

I've thought about trying to run Cyberpunk with GURPS before, and the best idea I came up with was using some of the low sci-fi stuff from Ultra Tech and Bio Tech, breaking up computer skills into several categories, and adding in some physical skill sets that are used only when the person is running through cyberspace with their avatar.

You could calculate someone's cyberspace persona by using mental attributes and computer skills in place of physical ones, software would give bonuses like weapons and armor would, and give bonuses for their existing computer skills. Maybe tweak a few advantages that give someone a tougher avatar.

Best I have for you.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:05 AM   #3
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Hi folks - after re-reading some of my Gibson boooks, I'm wanting to run a GURPS cyberpunk game - has any cyberpunk setting material been updated to 4e. I'm assuming that I'm gonna mostly using ultra tech and bio tech for the rules....

Any suggestions for running GURPS cyberpunk, as ive only run modern day GURPS games before?

Cheers

Kal
I don't think any of the specific GURPS 3e cyberpunk books have been updated to 4e. However, a good deal of the cyberpunk material can be found in GURPS Ultra-Tech and Bio-Tech. So if you want to run cyberpunk your best bet is to get both Ultra-Tech and Bio-Tech along with the 3e GURPS Cyberpunk and work through the conversions.

I know there is a GURPS 4e Cyberpunk file out there on the net which converts cyber stuff from a number of sources to GURPS (CP2020, Shadowrun, GURPS 3e Cyberpunk, etc.). I think it was created prior to GURPS Ultra-Tech and Bio-Tech being written so the numbers are somewhat different for many items.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurrealityNow
You could calculate someone's cyberspace persona by using mental attributes and computer skills in place of physical ones, software would give bonuses like weapons and armor would, and give bonuses for their existing computer skills. Maybe tweak a few advantages that give someone a tougher avatar.
Last type i ran a Shadowrun style GURPS game, Deckers used a gadged based "Alternate form" for the Deck. with accessibility "Inside the Matrix only"
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:10 AM   #5
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

I think the problem with how cyberspace has been implemented in many cyberpunk games is that it's essentially a 1 on 1 dungeon crawl where 1 player and the GM throw dice at each other for extended periods of time, while everyone else might as well go get pizza. My suggestions for cyberspace are to take a look at the computer intrusion rules provided in Transhuman Space: Fifth Wave if you have it, or if not, simplify the crap out of most cyber tasks. Doing a data trawl? A simple Research roll, with bonuses for specifics or access to extensive relevant information archives and penalties for the data being classified, proprietary, embarrassing, or otherwise hard to get. Let hackers LoS hack pretty much everything, but it should take about as many rolls and as much time as shooting. If everything is resolved in the same manner and operates on the same time scale, you don't get the mini-game problem that I've seen so frequently in Shadowrun. And some stuff is just plain unhackable, and can only be accessed by "human engineering," assisted by all of the players.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:27 AM   #6
Kal

When i last played 2020, the GM had the house rule that no one could play a net runner - we had a npc for that instead - which didnt bother us. Ive GM'ed for computer wiz-kids before - not a problem, only difference with cyberpunk is the time dilation effect when in the net.

I'm currently thinking of bassing it off TL9 - as most cyberpunk material they dont have beam/laser weapons, which is most of TL9 (i believe). Gonna have split TL for cybernetics, bioware and comupters (+1 TL probably)

Quick question, where would different kinds of ammo for guns, basic, high tech, ultra tech?

Cheers

Kal
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:31 AM   #7
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk
I think the problem with how cyberspace has been implemented in many cyberpunk games is that it's essentially a 1 on 1 dungeon crawl where 1 player and the GM throw dice at each other for extended periods of time, while everyone else might as well go get pizza. My suggestions for cyberspace are to take a look at the computer intrusion rules provided in Transhuman Space: Fifth Wave if you have it, or if not, simplify the crap out of most cyber tasks. Doing a data trawl? A simple Research roll, with bonuses for specifics or access to extensive relevant information archives and penalties for the data being classified, proprietary, embarrassing, or otherwise hard to get. Let hackers LoS hack pretty much everything, but it should take about as many rolls and as much time as shooting. If everything is resolved in the same manner and operates on the same time scale, you don't get the mini-game problem that I've seen so frequently in Shadowrun. And some stuff is just plain unhackable, and can only be accessed by "human engineering," assisted by all of the players.
Personally i never had that problem, to me it no different than having a "rogue" split off from the party and take over the security room and run "over watch" while the rest of the team go after the objective.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:49 AM   #8
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Quick question, where would different kinds of ammo for guns, basic, high tech, ultra tech?
High Tech and Ultra Tech both have a wide variety of ammo types, and Ultra-tech also has a nice section on cyberware.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #9
Greg 1

GURPS has all you need right now for a Cyberpunk game, though a genre book would always be welcome and it wouldn't hurt to update GURPS Cyberworld.

I've been running 4E GURPS Cyberpunk in PBP over at the rpg.net forums for a long time (over 1000 IC posts, almost 2000 OOC posts) and its still going. The link to my homebrew world for GURPS Cyberpunk games can be found in my sig (Paradise City).

The most important thing is not to forget how dangerous GURPS combat can be (that's a good thing). Don't forget to use the realistic injury rules from Martial Arts and the bleeding rules from Basic. :)

Oh, and um netrunners...either NPCs do it or we handle it abstractly with a few die rolls. Even in a play by post game, having a mini-game for one player is just too much for me.

Last edited by Greg 1; 02-21-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Greg 1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
aesir23

Pyramid published an article on 4e Cybernetics in August of 2005. I think that means it predates Powers, Ultra-Tech, and Bio-Tech, but it's helpful nevertheless.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote