Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 11-13-2018, 12:27 AM   #1
Refplace

Default Adding a new race

So I have two projects I think will be difficult to my own world book data file.
The first one is adding the coatl race so a PC can use it. This should be a good test choice to help me master race templates as there is not a lot of choices in it.
I tried creating it as a new template and the file wont open in GCA and then created a new template by editing the Dragon data file.
I list them all here along with what I am trying to add.
Some questions..
I think part of the errors are coming from a misuse of the race tag. Also I bet DI:Dead Broke needs to go and just use the Wealth =3 as the two templates do.
And how is the template cost figured out?
Once the call errors or syntax is understood I will need to change things a bit to match.
Also do I need the page tag or can I exclude it since this is not from a published book?
Specifically ....
Innate Attack can I use AD:Innate Attack (Cor)?
Where is a good example for the Telsend ability? Psionic Powers data file confused me a lot. Also I want coatl to be able to adjust Telesend so should I remove it from the template and add it as a separate ability?

This is the template it made from GCA....
[Templates]
<User Items>
Coatl, displaycost(49), cost(0),
description(),
page(User),
race(Human),
noresync(yes),
owns(yes),
adds(_
{AD:Amphibious},
{AD:Breath-Holding}=2,
{AD:Constriction Attack},
{AD:Double-Jointed},
{AD:Fearlessness}=2,
{AD:Flight} _
with {"Small Wings", -10%,group(Flight),page(B56),level(1),valuenum(-10)},
{AD:Infravision},
{AD:Nictitating Membrane}=1,
{AD:Peripheral Vision}=1,
{AD:Recovery},
{AD:Striker (Lizard Man Tail; Crushing)}=3 _
with {"Alternative Attack", *1/5,group(Alternative Attack),page(B61),tier(2),level(1),valuenum(1/5)} _
and {"Long: any reach", +100%/+200%,group(Striker),page(B88),shortname(Long),giv es(=nobase to owner::reach$, ="C,$if(me::level=1 THEN "1" ELSE "1-$solver(me::level)")" to owner::reach$),level(1),valuenum(100)},
{AD:Teeth (Sharp Teeth)},
{AD:Telecommunication (Telesend)},
{AD:Temperature Tolerance}=2,
{DI:Cold-Blooded}=1,
{DI:Increased Consumption}=1,
{DI:Low Empathy},
{DI:Mute},
{DI:No Legs (Slithers)},
{DI:No Manipulators},
{DI:Wealth}=3_
),
creates(_
{QU:Territorial, -1,noresync(yes), cat(General)},
{AD:Basic Speed Bonus from Coatl, 20, gives(+1.0 to ST:Basic Speed)},
{AD:DX Bonus from Coatl, 36, gives(+3.0 to ST:DX)},
{AD:HT Bonus from Coatl, 10, gives(+1.0 to ST:HT)},
{DI:IQ Penalty from Coatl, -20, gives(-1.0 to ST:IQ)},
{DI:ST Penalty from Coatl, -20, gives(-2.0 to ST:ST)}_
)
END Template
The example data files seem to not have the {} that this does.
Also the display cost and cost items I dont understand how they reach the values given.

I then created one using the Dragons datafile as an example and that loads and gives me a bunch of call errors then crashes GCA.
TEMPLATE
*Confirmed
Coatl (CW-Race), displaycost(73), cost(73),
race(Coatl),
owns(yes),
locks(yes),
hides(yes),
page(DR22, DR144),
cat(Racial Templates, Racial Templates - CW-Race),
gives(_
+3 to ST:DX,
+1 to ST:HT,
-2 to ST:ST,
+1.00 to ST:Basic Speed_

),
adds(_
AD:Burning Attack = 1 with "Jet, +0%, group(_Attack Enhancements)" _
and "Reduced Range, -10%/-20%, levelnames(x1/2, x1/5, x1/10), upto(3), group(_Attack Limitations), page(B115), gives(=*@indexedvalue(me::level,0.5,0.2,0.1) to owner::rangehalfdam, =*@indexedvalue(me::level,0.5,0.2,0.1) to owner::rangemax), level()" _
and "Limited Use: 1/hour, -10%, group(_General)" _
respond 5,
AD:Amphibious,
AD:Breath-Holding=2,
AD:Constriction Attack,
AD:Fearlessness=2,
Flight with "Small Wings, -10%, group(Flight)",
AD:Infravision,
AD:Innate Attack,
AD:Nictating Membrane=1,
AD:Peripheral Vision,
AD:Recovery,
AD:Striker,
AD:Striker (Impaling) _
with "Long: any reach, +100%/+200%, group(Striker), page(B88), shortname(Long), gives(=nobase to owner::reach$, ="C,$if(me::level=1 THEN "1" ELSE "1-$solver(me::level)")" to owner::reach$), level(2)" _
respond "Tail/Spear",
AD:Teeth (Sharp Teeth),
AD:Telesend,
AD:Temperature Tolerance=2,
QU:Territorial
DI:Cold-Blooded,
DI:Dead Broke,
DI:Wealth = 3,
DI:Increased Consumption=1,
DI:Low Empathy,
DI:Mute,
PA:Vermiform,
SK:Survival (Forest)==0pts#DoNotOwn_
),

END TEMPLATE
What I am trying to emulate is this template...
Coatl
73 points
A race of sentient flying snakes.
ST -2 [-20] IQ -1 [-20] DX +3 [60] HT +1 [10]
Increased Speed +1 [25] SM 0 (6 feet partially coiled, 15 feet extended)
Advantages: Amphibious [10]; Breath-Holding *4 [4]; Constriction Attack [15]; Fearlessness 2 [4]; Flight (Small Wings, -10%) [36]; Infravision [10]; Innate Attack (cor) 1d (1 hour recharge, -30%) [7]; Nictating Membrane 1 [1]; Peripheral Vision [15]; Recovery [10]; Striker (Tail, Crushing/Piercing; Long +2 SM) [15]; Sharp Teeth [1]; Telesend (Contact Agent, -30%; Melee Attack, C, -30%; Telepathy, -10%) [9]; Temperature Tolerance 2 (Heat) [2].
Disadvantages: Cold-Blooded ^50 [-5]; Dead Broke [-25]; Increased Consumption 1 [-10]; Low Empathy [-20]; Mute [-25]; Vermiform [-35].
Quirk: Territorial [-1].
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 11-13-2018 at 12:31 AM.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Adding a new race

I'm out of the office a lot today, so I'm not sure when I can look at this for you.

However, I can answer a couple of your questions now.

Displaycost() is the cost of the template as it should be, such as shown in the template in the book. Basically, that should be the character's point total if they only thing you've added is that template.

The cost() of a template is to cover anything that is granted by the template that isn't included in something else. For example, if you had gives(+2 to ST:ST) as part of the template, that bonus would be free unless you included cost(20) in the template itself. Since most templates build everything from component traits, this is usually 0.

Your first template as created from GCA has a displaycost(49), so it would appear that the character it was created from had a point total of 49.

The { } surrounding the various bits in that template are one of the ways that each piece of a template can be enclosed to ensure proper parsing. They're not usually required for most traits, but GCA always writes them out for safety.

As to why the template wouldn't be working after you saved it out, I don't know off the top of my head, but I'll try to look later.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

Okay, here's what I've done so far.

I built a character based on the template you provided at the end of your post. That had a few things I didn't know in it (such as Vermiform) and had some choices I wasn't sure about (attack modifiers on Telesend), but I did my best to get where it it matched. I was 5 points less, but you had Increased Speed at 25pts, and +1 to Basic Speed is 20pts, so that's the difference.

Here is that character: coatl.gca4

I then Save As Template'd that character to a file. Here is that data file: coatl.GDF

I then created a new data set, with just Basic and the coatl.gdf. I created a new character, and applied the Coatl template. Everything worked, and the character ended up with a 68 point template, all is it should.

I'll have to go back through your post to answer other stuff later, as I'm about to head out.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Okay, some other various answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I think part of the errors are coming from a misuse of the race tag.
It's pretty hard to mess up the race() tag, since it doesn't really do anything other than set the Race value on the character. Feel free to set it to anything you like.

Quote:
Also I bet DI:Dead Broke needs to go and just use the Wealth =3 as the two templates do.
Yes, you need to either create your own trait, or use the ones that exist in the way they're designed to work. So setting the level of the Wealth disad is the right way to do it, as far as GCA is concerned.

Quote:
Also do I need the page tag or can I exclude it since this is not from a published book?
The page() tag is just for reference, so you can exclude it. Or use something meaningful to you in there, if you like, to remind you that you made the template, like page(user) or page(mine) or whatever floats your boat. GCA won't mind.

Quote:
Innate Attack can I use AD:Innate Attack (Cor)?
Each of the innate attacks is set up as a specific attack advantage, such as Corrosion Attack or Burning Attack. You must reference things as they exist, so that GCA can find them, so you'd use AD:Corrosion Attack. There's no Innate Attack in the listing, so you can't use that.

If you *want* to use Innate Attack, you certainly can, but you have to create one yourself. You could just copy the existing versions of the traits, and rename them to Innate Attack (Corrosion) or whatever, as you wish.

Quote:
Where is a good example for the Telsend ability? Psionic Powers data file confused me a lot. Also I want coatl to be able to adjust Telesend so should I remove it from the template and add it as a separate ability?
I'm afraid I know pretty much nothing about the psionic stuff, so I can't help you with that kind of thing.

Quote:
Also I want coatl to be able to adjust Telesend so should I remove it from the template and add it as a separate ability?
If you don't mind the *template value* within GCA changing as the user adjusts the component parts, you can leave it in the template. Just don't lock the template, and any changes made to the components will automatically be reflected within GCA's point total for the template.

By the book, the template would be locked, and the user would have to disable that trait (right-click, Component > Disable Component) which would give them an opposing "No <whatever>" trait to cancel it out. Then they'd buy the version they actually wanted for their character.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post

I'm afraid I know pretty much nothing about the psionic stuff, so I can't help you with that kind of thing.

If you don't mind the *template value* within GCA changing as the user adjusts the component parts, you can leave it in the template. Just don't lock the template, and any changes made to the components will automatically be reflected within GCA's point total for the template.

By the book, the template would be locked, and the user would have to disable that trait (right-click, Component > Disable Component) which would give them an opposing "No <whatever>" trait to cancel it out. Then they'd buy the version they actually wanted for their character.
Ok, just got home a few minutes ago and loaded the datafile just fine.
Also reading it and looking at your answers.
Page and race tag, understood.
Ok so all the Innate Attack types are spelled out, not Innate Attack (type) but Corrosion Attack in format. Thank you!

Your example added the attribute mods as advantages and disadvantages which is different than the dragon template did.
Compare {AD:DX Bonus from Coatl, 60, gives(+3.0 to ST:DX)},
To gives(_
+4 to ST:HT_
),
Though I can see now how both work.
Looks like you figured out Vermiform from earlier.
I'm following Innate Attacks now, though I suspect Ill need more efforts to get it down.
Wow though on the tail striker!!
I assume it really does not need all those Tail entries? (Tail, 2 Tail, ..., 999 Tail) What do those do, if anything?

Finally I think I understand the cost and am slapping my head. The reason the second value is 0 is because it adds the sum of all the components. So I would only change that second value from 0 if there was a UB or other component not specifically priced.

Thanks for all your help!
I'll try to build my own file after and if my book gets published.
FYI for rumor squelching, none of this materiel is related to the book in queue.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Ok, just got home a few minutes ago and loaded the datafile just fine.
Also reading it and looking at your answers.
Page and race tag, understood.
Ok so all the Innate Attack types are spelled out, not Innate Attack (type) but Corrosion Attack in format. Thank you!
You're welcome.

Quote:
Your example added the attribute mods as advantages and disadvantages which is different than the dragon template did.
Compare {AD:DX Bonus from Coatl, 60, gives(+3.0 to ST:DX)},
To gives(_
+4 to ST:HT_
),
Though I can see now how both work.
That's one of those personal preference things. I like to have every bonus come from component traits, so that they're easy to see in the list of component's when looking at that, and so that modifiers can be applied more easily if necessary. However, it's quick and easy to include them in the gives() and then just adjust cost() if you're writing the template by hand.

Quote:
Looks like you figured out Vermiform from earlier.
I just copied Horizontal and modified it. Figured it was close enough.

Quote:
Wow though on the tail striker!!
I assume it really does not need all those Tail entries? (Tail, 2 Tail, ..., 999 Tail) What do those do, if anything?
I just used it right out of the data file as given. I suspect that's a cosmetic choice, so that things are listed more understandably on the character.

Levelnames() is a helper tag that tells GCA "if this tag exists, use it to name the trait levels instead of using incremental numbers". The long list is because GCA switches to incremental numbers if the list given in levelnames() runs out before reaching the level of the trait.

Quote:
Finally I think I understand the cost and am slapping my head. The reason the second value is 0 is because it adds the sum of all the components. So I would only change that second value from 0 if there was a UB or other component not specifically priced.
Yes. It does throw a lot of folks, because remembering that all component costs will be included takes a bit of getting used to.

Quote:
Thanks for all your help!
I'll try to build my own file after and if my book gets published.
FYI for rumor squelching, none of this materiel is related to the book in queue.
You're welcome, again. The Data File Reference Guide is pretty helpful, too.

Best of luck with the book!