Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-26-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
hcobb

Default When is a Dodge comitted?

Figure X moves half it's MA, stops in front of hostile figure Y and declares that he is dodging.

Figure Y then attacks somebody else to avoid the dodge penalty.

Figure X then changes his option to Charge Attack.

Correct?
Old 09-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
Kax

Default Re: When is a Dodge comitted?

Nope. The change of action declaration by the dodger isn't valid unless the fighter involved has Enhanced Time Sense.

However, it's valid to fake dodging to persuade your opponent to attack someone else. But that's a skill roll vs. a Perception or Weapon check.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
hcobb

That's not what it says at

Melee pg 6
Quote:
During a turn, a
player may change his mind about a figure’s option, as long as
• that figure has not yet acted, and
• that figure did not move too far to allow it to take the new option.
Same wording at Wizard pg 6 and ITL pg 102.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
Kax

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post

Melee pg 6

Condition 2: 1/2 move already committed precludes a charge.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:32 PM   #5
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post

Melee pg 6

I believe Kax mistook your wording. I'm never quite sure what to make of it myself. There are a lot of what seems to be inaccuracies in your wordings or understanding of the rules. In this case, I think I know what you meant and I think you were correct about the thing you were unsure of. I believe Kax thought you were asking about Y's decision to change Y's option.

Another assumption I think Kax made was that you were in a player vs. player scenario. "Declaring your actions" is not necessarily an aloud thing you do so that everyone at the table can hear what you plan to do.

Here's another way of asking what I think you really wanted to know:
Quote:
Figure X moves half it's MA, stops in front of hostile figure Y and declares that he is dodging. X intends to dodge.

Figure Y then attacks somebody else to avoid the dodge penalty for whatever reason.

Figure X {can} then change his option to Charge Attack.

Correct?
Yes. Correct...as long as no one else has fired any missiles at X. I think but I'm not sure. I would love to hear someone else's answer now that the real question is clear.

I'm making more assumptions than Kax here so I could be wrong. Your posts tend to be very low on word-count. More details about what you are thinking would help eliminate confusion. I'm assuming that Y is an archer. Otherwise, X would intend to "defend".

Last edited by platimus; 09-26-2018 at 09:47 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:34 PM   #6
Kax

Other considerations: 'stops in front of'--how far away? If he stops without attacking within melee range of Y, Y will just whack him.

: Is there an actual reason why Y would change target to someone else? X may still be a prime target despite not doing anything this round.

: If X charges after Y decides to attack someone else, but does so before Y's controller rolls dice, can Y change to a Defend action the same way X changed to an attack?

: Given the questions and considerations, why declare actions to start with?
Old 09-26-2018, 10:55 PM   #7
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
Other considerations: 'stops in front of'--how far away? If he stops without attacking within melee range of Y, Y will just whack him.
I assumed he meant in an adjacent space and that X and Y were engaged.

Quote:
: Is there an actual reason why Y would change target to someone else? X may still be a prime target despite not doing anything this round.
Maybe Y's ally, Z, was already there and engaged with X? And Y thought he might be able to kill Z with his "last shot"? "For whatever reason" does nicely.

Quote:
: If X charges after Y decides to attack someone else, but does so before Y's controller rolls dice, can Y change to a Defend action the same way X changed to an attack?
X can't charge. You said so yourself. Just kidding LOL

Nothing has happened until it has been "resolved" with the dice. To give accurate answer, I need to know X and Y's adjDX.

Quote:
: Given the questions and considerations, why declare actions to start with?
I sometimes wonder that myself.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:56 PM   #8
Helborn

hcobb is right - it is a Charge Attack (Option (b)) but unless X has a Pole Weapon it happens in the regular order of AdjDX. Platimus is right, the option would be to Defend, not Dodge (Option (k)) Which means that X cannot take the optino since X has moved 1/2 MA. Defend is only an option if you shift 1 hx

Kax, Your second question cannot happen. Either Y or X must act first. Once they have acted the other can change options but not the first.

Dodge can only be taken by a disengaged figure against missile and thrown weapons.

Last edited by Helborn; 09-26-2018 at 10:57 PM. Reason: added last sentence
Helborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:59 PM   #9
Helborn

Why declare? so that a player knows how many dice to roll, etc. etc.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:06 PM   #10
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
hcobb is right - it is a Charge Attack (Option (b)) but unless X has a Pole Weapon it happens in the regular order of AdjDX. Platimus is right, the option would be to Defend, not Dodge (Option (k)) Which means that X cannot take the optino since X has moved 1/2 MA. Defend is only an option if you shift 1 hx

Kax, Your second question cannot happen. Either Y or X must act first. Once they have acted the other can change options but not the first.

Dodge can only be taken by a disengaged figure against missile and thrown weapons.
This is all true...if Y is not a missile user. This is why it is so hard to answer these questions when very little details are given. It all depends on the details.

However, I would argue that if someone says they are charging, they are committed to that charge once they start moving. That's how I would rule it. Charges are the only things I can think of that would be "committed" before the dice are rolled.