Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-14-2018, 06:32 AM   #41
malloyd

Default Re: How do time-travelers calculate the date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
I guess they could take a reading of the Cosmic Background Radiation (CBR).
Assuming you were aboard that time traveling spaceship. You can sort of measure it with ground based radio telescopes, but accuracy isn't very good - I suspect if the difference were big enough to reliably detect from the surface of the Earth there wouldn't *be* a surface of the Earth yet.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:03 AM   #42
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
I guess they could take a reading of the Cosmic Background Radiation (CBR).
There would also be measuring the Hubble "constant" (which isn't). But this will be imprecise, will require large observatories, and without a good idea of whatever is responsible for dark energy you won't be able to turn a measurement into a date without a bunch of calibration measurements at different times (which scientists would probably want to do, so they can understand dark energy better).

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #43
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
You can sort of measure it with ground based radio telescopes, but accuracy isn't very good
I thought so too, but there seem to be plenty of ground-based detectors. A TL 10-12 version of this might do the trick. Or failing that, there are balloon-carried detectors too.

The CMBR at least is something that exists though, unlike as-yet-undiscovered speed of light decay.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:18 AM   #44
lwcamp

For journeys into the very deep past, you could also observe the positions and orientations (and general shapes) of the galaxies in our local cluster. Again, you will probably require calibration observations at various times in the deep past, and again it will only give approximate dates. Combine this with observations of starts and planets (using ephemera and star charts made with calibrated observations across a wide range of times) to home in on more precise dates.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #45
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
Again, you will probably require calibration observations at various times in the deep past, and again it will only give approximate dates.
Beyond a certain point in human history it probably doesn't matter what the exact date is because it's not like there's a specific event to watch out for.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #46
Flyndaran
Untagged

There would be specific events like volcanic eruptions and meteor strikes such as the dino-killer. But it's not like we know that the Chicxulub crater formed on a Tuesday at 9:51 A.M, for example.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #47
khorboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
There would be specific events like volcanic eruptions and meteor strikes such as the dino-killer. But it's not like we know that the Chicxulub crater formed on a Tuesday at 9:51 A.M, for example.
That depends upon how thoroughly the past has been "mapped" at this point. This could totally be in an almanac after some historian spent a bit of effort tracking it down specifically. If our lost traveler is one of the first, then not so much.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #48
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
That depends upon how thoroughly the past has been "mapped" at this point. This could totally be in an almanac after some historian spent a bit of effort tracking it down specifically. If our lost traveler is one of the first, then not so much.
It occurs to me that a time travel agency might put in place beacons - maybe in an orbit that will decay before anyone is around to notice it, or in a location soon to be under lava or in an impact crater - featuring a warning and a countdown to something you probably don't want to be around to see.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #49
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
It occurs to me that a time travel agency might put in place beacons - maybe in an orbit that will decay before anyone is around to notice it,
With only a little thought given to how reflective your satelite is i.e. avoiding the "Iridium flare" you can put satelites into Earth orbit until at least 1900.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:58 PM   #50
Boomerang

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
Beyond a certain point in human history it probably doesn't matter what the exact date is because it's not like there's a specific event to watch out for.
Unless you need an accurate start date to calculate the parameters for your return journey to your original time.

For my own campaigns time travellers need to be aware of local conditions such as: gravity, time, location, entropy, fundamental constants (because they aren’t constant) and acceleration. If they don’t know these for their initial position and destination they risk arriving way off course.