Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-30-2018, 04:12 AM   #1
RobW

Default Initiate HTH contradiction

p102-103 "List of Options". Initiate Hand-to-hand attack is an option only for engaged figures, not for disengaged ones.

p116 "Hand to Hand Combat": "To initiate HTH combat, a figure moves onto the enemy’s hex. If the attacking figure is disengaged, this is a regular move." Well, this wouldn't be a legal option according to the List of Options.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:47 AM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Initiate HTH contradiction

This is a problem and I hope the author or someone else involved in the production addresses it. It is clear that attempting to enter HTH is a form of (or stands in place of) an attack. But what isn't clear is whether this can be in place of a charge attack (i.e., where you start disengaged and close distance to the target, moving up to half your MA). I have always played that thisis how it works and I still think that is the sensible ruling, but with so may new players getting interested in the game I think its important to get critical combat mechanics rulings very clear.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
Skarg

This is clearly a result of using the basic-Melee form of the Options list in the new ITL, but including the Advanced Melee rules for HTH. The (1980) Advanced Melee version of the Options list clearly indicates that a disengaged figure can attempt too initiate hand to hand combat if they move 1/2 MA or less.

There are several things that the Advanced Melee rules (and option list) let figures do, which can appear to not be allowed, IF you read the option list as a list of the only combinations of movement and actions that can be done, as we'd discussed in another recent thread.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:40 PM   #4
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
only for engaged figures, not for disengaged ones.
Perhaps the natural rule is that disengaged characters can do anything engaged characters can.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
larsdangly

This is related to the Dodge/Defend thread, where it was recognized that you can't defend against a jabbing pole arm. That's goofy enough that I would have house ruled the correct outcome without realizing I was violating the letter of the law.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:00 PM   #6
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Does adding "or HTH" after "with any weapon except a middile weapon" resolve the issue for you?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
platimus

i'm afraid the issue is larger than just HTH. I think the following makes the intent of the options list MUCH more clear:
Quote:
List of Options
An option is a set of actions. A figure may execute one
option each turn, and may not mix actions from different
options. The options available to a figure depend on whether
it is engaged, disengaged, or in HTH combat at the moment
its turn to move or act comes. During a turn, a player may change
his mind about a figure’s option, as long as
• that figure has not yet acted, and
• that figure did not move too far to allow it to take the
new option.
Quote:
Options for Engaged Figures
A figure which is engaged with an enemy (see definition,
p. 101) when its turn comes to move or act may perform any one of
the following options:
The bold "or act" is the only thing I edited/added. There might be one or two issues left after adding those 4 words but those 4 words would have led me to interpret the options the way Advanced Melee listed them (mostly).

I think it would be best separate the movement part of options from the action part of options as RobW has done in the Dodge thread here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=73
but I completely understand not wanting or being able to completely rewrite the combat options at this point.

Last edited by platimus; 09-30-2018 at 08:11 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:08 AM   #8
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Does adding "or HTH" after "with any weapon except a middile weapon" resolve the issue for you?
I think so, if you mean before - since space is tight, how about:
"attack with any weapon except a missile weapon."
-->
"attack with a non-missile weapon, or enter HTH."
?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote